Jester commands keyboard mapping, now VAICOM is dead

Shiroka

For those of us who fly in VR, many of us have been using VAICOM to control Jester without the RIO wheel (which is great but kind of breaks immersion).

VAICOM has been abandoned for months and it appears that 2.8 was the final death knell.

It’s a real shame to lose this functionality and personally I don’t want to go back to the wheel in VR. 

Would it be possible to make the full Jester command set mappable to keybinds (as you guys have done with the Mission Editor values, which is awesome) so that those of us who want to continue using VA to talk to Jester can create our own profiles and continue to do so?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Shiroka said:

For those of us who fly in VR, many of us have been using VAICOM to control Jester without the RIO wheel (which is great but kind of breaks immersion).

VAICOM has been abandoned for months and it appears that 2.8 was the final death knell.

It’s a real shame to lose this functionality and personally I don’t want to go back to the wheel in VR. 

Would it be possible to make the full Jester command set mappable to keybinds (as you guys have done with the Mission Editor values, which is awesome) so that those of us who want to continue using VA to talk to Jester can create our own profiles and continue to do so?

We will do that, once we are done with the Jester overhaul. This will still take a bit unfortunately. But as things may likely still change, doing it now and changing it again later would break your profiles yet again, hence we opt to wait with that for now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

3 minutes ago, IronMike said:

We will do that, once we are done with the Jester overhaul. This will still take a bit unfortunately. But as things may likely still change, doing it now and changing it again later would break your profiles yet again, hence we opt to wait with that for now.

Awesome, thanks for the fast reply. Really glad to know it is on the cards for the future!

From a personal perspective I would rather deal with a broken VA profile every few updates than not have that functionality for months, but I do understand the devs decision (and of course don’t know the full situation)!

Thanks again.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Shiroka said:

Awesome, thanks for the fast reply. Really glad to know it is on the cards for the future!

From a personal perspective I would rather deal with a broken VA profile every few updates than not have that functionality for months, but I do understand the devs decision (and of course don’t know the full situation)!

Thanks again.

+1

• Like 1

That's awesome! Thank you guys in advance!
I do have an additional request to this though.
Would it be possible to have the Jester wheel hidden if you execute keybinds?
One of the absolutely great features of VAICOM for immersion, was that it didn't show the Jester wheel, hide the radio menu. Disable "players voice", and hide on screen text.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Shiroka said:

Thanks again.

We'll overthink it again, but seeing how our plate is full atm, I would cautiously say please don't expect it before the end of the year.

2 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

That's awesome! Thank you guys in advance!
I do have an additional request to this though.
Would it be possible to have the Jester wheel hidden if you execute keybinds?
One of the absolutely great features of VAICOM for immersion, was that it didn't show the Jester wheel, hide the radio menu. Disable "players voice", and hide on screen text. emoji4.png
Cheers!

We can look into that, of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

@IronMike Something just hit me (figuratively 😉) :

Assuming that HB and True Grit are going to implement DVI on the Eurofighter, couldn't that underlying voice-recognition technology potentially be used for Jester and Jester's Dad (in the Phantom), as well as Jester's Cousin (Intruder)? 

I mean, giving verbal commands to your RIO basically is "proto-DVI".

Because even if some of the tech savvy people over at the VAICOM Discord find a way to undo what ED has decided to plague us with, I fear this will not be a long-term solution.

Edit: overtaken by recent, very promising events. 🙂 Thanks Vaicom Discord community, and thanks @Hollywood_315 for releasing it under GPL!

Still, IMO a native solution directly from the dev would be preferable for these module-specific inter-cockpit comms, because it could be much more "custom" and streamlined.

Oh, and could you make the Eurofighter respond to my voice inputs with "By your command!" ? 🙂 

Battlestar Galactica Robot GIF

Edited by Jayhawk1971
  • Like 4

On 10/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, IronMike said:

Grazie mille!

Just a head's up: there is an experimental fix being tested in the Vaicom Discord group that appears to be working.  Once the installation is codified in a better fashion and the fix is confirmed to work across multiple installs, it will be shared publicly.  For now, you can access it here:

https://discord.gg/g3bSyEX2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lunaticfringe said:

Just a head's up: there is an experimental fix being tested in the Vaicom Discord group that appears to be working.  Once the installation is codified in a better fashion and the fix is confirmed to work across multiple installs, it will be shared publicly.  For now, you can access it here:

https://discord.gg/g3bSyEX2

This is indeed great news, however I think it's a bandaid solution. VAICOM is no longer under active development by the original developer. This community patch buys some time but in the end I think the whole community will benefit from direct access to all actions via bindings.  (Unless HB are permitted to let us know what UDP calls are required in order to execute those commands with their own module 😉)

VAICOM webpage is updated, license is now free and released under GPL.
This is an awesome move by Hollywood, and I encourage everybody to get it!
Maybe it now can be an integral I part of DCS, Jester, George, Petrovich etc.
Cheers!

• Like 3