Warning: Do not do what I did! (Stutters)

TKNARMZ

My old system ran DCS perfectly without any stutters.  I had an AMD 5900x and a 6900xt GPU.  I had 32GB of ram.  When I saw new tech coming out, like the new 4090 and hearing how its going to be extremely fast.  I figured I would dive right in and prepare myself. 

Firs the new AMD's came out so I got myself the 7900x.  In order to do that I needed a new motherboard and new memory.  I first bought the gigabyte x670 Elite.. Something like that.  Gskill DDR5 6600 running 16GB x 4.  Then I got the MSI Geforce 4090 Trio GPU.  I noticed DCS would just stutter every 30-60 seconds.  I tried everything.  I tried lowering the HZ in Steam, tried closing all other running programs.. I even tried  a clean install of windows 10.  Then I thought, ok maybe its windows 10, so I bought windows 11.  Then I thought, maybe its the motherboard since I cant put the memory into XMP mode.  So I bought a different motherboard, the MSI x670 MEG.  I spent a ton of money just to try and get the only game/sim i play to work.

It runs, you can tell it wants to run perfectly smooth.  I have everything turned up and if I dont do anything but look straight, its running at 144FPS in VR smoothly.  THe machine is a beast.  But when I turn my head, stutter, still at 144fps but that split second stutter..  I am also getting some ghosting when I turn at a high rate.   Never had that before.

I looked up everything on youtube, google search, steam forums and even here.  I noticed that even when im in the Steam home screen i get these purple bars that come up on the performance graph.  Yep, just sitting here doing nothing and I still get the purple bars which in the Steam Home screen causes the stutters.

I have a feeling they havent weeded all the issues out with the memory and CPU yet.  I feel like throwing my PC out the window!  DONT UPGRADE to the next gen yet!  Its full of bugs.

If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.  Maybe someone out there has a similar setup without issues or fixed these issues.  Thank you.

AMD 7900x; Nvidia MSI 4090 Trio; MSI x670e MEG ACE; gSkill 64gb; Thrustmaster F16 Control; WinWIng F16 Throttle; Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals; Valve Index VR headset 

You have stutters in 2d?  I dont have any stutters in 2d.  But I cant play it in 2d after using VR. I cant go back so I havent been able to play since the new AMD CPU came out.  Im about ready to Go Intel and get the older motherboards and ram again.  

AMD 7900x; Nvidia MSI 4090 Trio; MSI x670e MEG ACE; gSkill 64gb; Thrustmaster F16 Control; WinWIng F16 Throttle; Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals; Valve Index VR headset 

Your story reminded me of this thread. Please read it:

And if that's not enough, read the first post of this thread:

And if you're using the mouse to move the pilot's head, read this:

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html

Set this to 32GB and everything will be fine.
And switch to OpenXR with OpenComposite...its worth it.

Edited by JayRoc

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

4 hours ago, TKNARMZ said:

You have stutters in 2d?  I dont have any stutters in 2d.  But I cant play it in 2d after using VR. I cant go back so I havent been able to play since the new AMD CPU came out.  Im about ready to Go Intel and get the older motherboards and ram again.  

indeed, just out of the blue. Sim has been stable for at least a couple of years, now completely unplayable in VR(and 2d but i don't)

Is that correct that your new rig has 4x dimms of DDR5? I didn't think that was a thing yet. I know the boards have four slot but I haven't yet seen a four dimm kit or heard anyone using four ddr5 dimms... Could be mistaken. However I would expect the machine to not even post.. might explain your xmp not working?

Edited by Hoirtel

2.8 has made VR performance significantly worse for me. BUT there are a few things that really help (until ED get DCS optimised (e.g. multithreading etc). (3090 and Reverb G2). If you use WMR:

1) Use open composite

2) Use open composite (😉)

3) Run missions from a dedicated server (even on the same PC that you're running DCS normally on). You'll need a fast (or two fast) SSDs but it is a workaround to use more of your CPU cores

You may be doing this already, but for me this is the only thing that gets me (almost) good performance. (It was good performance in 2.7)

Edited by Solemn-laugh

On 11/10/2022 at 3:06 PM, Hoirtel said:

Is that correct that your new rig has 4x dimms of DDR5? I didn't think that was a thing yet. I know the boards have four slot but I haven't yet seen a four dimm kit or heard anyone using four ddr5 dimms... Could be mistaken. However I would expect the machine to not even post.. might explain your xmp not working?

Its posts and works great.  I even got to 6000mhz.  And just to try it to see if it made a difference, I only put two sims in.  Same issues.  Bottom line is, I believe its my CPU or Memory.  It now know its not the motherboard or the 4090 GPU.  Im going to rebuild my old computer using the 4090 and leave it alone since it works flawlessly.  

I appreciate everyones help.  I will try the few things you guys have posted.  But I have a feeling its something else that is screwing this up.  I havent seen any youtube videos of DCS in VR running on a 4090 and an AMD 7900x.  Im sure when I do, I will rebuild my new PC and hope someone fixed the drivers.

6 hours ago, TKNARMZ said:

Its posts and works great.  I even got to 6000mhz.  And just to try it to see if it made a difference, I only put two sims in.  Same issues.  Bottom line is, I believe its my CPU or Memory.  It now know its not the motherboard or the 4090 GPU.  Im going to rebuild my old computer using the 4090 and leave it alone since it works flawlessly.  

I appreciate everyones help.  I will try the few things you guys have posted.  But I have a feeling its something else that is screwing this up.  I havent seen any youtube videos of DCS in VR running on a 4090 and an AMD 7900x.  Im sure when I do, I will rebuild my new PC and hope someone fixed the drivers.

Well from what I understand four dimms makes everything harder for the memory controller, this applies to DDR4 and DDR5 but it's not a problem for DDR4 until you get into high over locking. I didn't think that DDR5 had really got to the stage where you can use overclocked kits with four sticks. But if you have tried two then it must be ok. To He other thing I have heard is that some games don't work well with the infinity fabric, but this would be the same for 7950 and I think they have been tested in DCS already. 

Other things to try would be running DCS without any peripherals attached. Not how you can fly but might just be the thing you haven't tried. 

Also make sure you are running a High-Performance power profile in windows (Power Options) with AMD.
Had constant stuttering that appeared repeatedly in intervals (also on 2D) without.

Installing Ryzen Master should give you 2 additional power profiles, AMD something High and AMD soemthing Balanced. It should be set to High for DCS.

Can you try LatencyMon and see where is your latency originating?

If you want a blanket set of recommendations, fr33thys (search youtube) pack, but I can’t say if that’s the solution you need.

VR, i9, Winwing, TM and VKB.

2, 4, ban, ban, 2

How are you getting on? Are you still having problems?

Always good to check on progress and see where we are. Helps others who may well give up.

I was having these problems myself (with my slightly older rig, 9900k, 3200mhz 32gb ddr4 and 3090) recently after 2 years of happy flying. Turned out to be an automatcially downloaded update for WMR For Steam VR. Had to go lkg_release on the 1.60 beta to fix it. All has been well since. But curious to see if your issues are something else and if you solve them before I go buying any new upgrades.

Got a new system moving to Win11 and VR performance was terrible, not only DCS but everywhere. 

Until I found this: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/win-11-update-causing-stutters/543631/166

I stop the Holographic Shell every reboot and all stutters are gone...

Hope it also helps in your case.

Best regards, Marcel

Edited by huppel
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 12:29 PM, huppel said:

Got a new system moving to Win11 and VR performance was terrible, not only DCS but everywhere. 

Until I found this: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/win-11-update-causing-stutters/543631/166

I stop the Holographic Shell every reboot and all stutters are gone...

Hope it also helps in your case.

Best regards, Marcel

I saw this the other night.  Ran Steam Vr and couldn't find Holographic Shell in the list.  Im using the Valve index.  But Im assuming its something like that.  Something running when loading into VR.  I am still having horrible issues with my VR.  Solid high FPS but when rolling the aircraft the world lags.  Cant figure it out.  I have tried everything.  Im hoping one day a windows patch fixes the issue.  I even tried buying a new VR headset.  Vive Pro2.  That thing is horrible!