Quest 2 Users, I improved my FPS 75% with one OTT setting I never knew about

Fuggzy

On 11/11/2022 at 8:25 PM, Fuggzy said:

So happy that somebody else found the same smooth-as-butter result, there @RuskyV 🙂 

To briefly recap my latest settings that give me performance:

• Oculus - 72Hz, max resolution (slider all the way right)
  • OTT - ASW at 30hz, Supersampling/PD at 1.0, FOV multiplier .80 on both, Adaptive GPU=1, Mirror=0, and the most important setting of all: Desktop resolution = 800x600 (in profile)
  • DCS - everything as low, lean, and mean as I can get it -- except MSAA=2x and Anisotropic filter = 16x
  • Then, make sure to start everything up in the right sequence so that OTT is really used.

In all aircraft and cases, I'm holding a rock-solid 24FPS, AWS takes care of the ghosting, all dials/displays are completely legible, and I know it sounds crazy... but that 24FPS truly feels like 60FPS without any micro stuttering or hiccups at all.  Fast movement doesn't phase it.

This is all with an RTX2060 Super card.  The day I get my mitts on 24GB video card might be the day I can add high textures and "stuff" back in.  Until then, this is quite playable. 🙂 

I see that you have Adaptive GPU on. Is there a reason for that? I think I've always had mine off.

Specs: i7 13700KF @ 5.5, 64Gb RAM, RTX 4090, Pimax Crystal

On 11/11/2022 at 12:38 PM, Mordants said:

I know this, which is why I asked the question, how to get focus back when you can't maximise the screen.

Hello,

I have combined ott 800x600 résolution and Alt-Enter tips to get full screen mode  ( see thread in VR bug section to get back this broken tips since few  patch )

and it is the best DCS expérience that i have never has before : smooth, no ghost, 90hz in my test  mission, no lose focus or cursor out, great

so Many thanks for this thread

Edited by fab.13
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, Tusk.V said:

I see that you have Adaptive GPU on. Is there a reason for that? I think I've always had mine off.

Hi @Tusk.V I've tried it off/on, but am not sure what it actually does or if it makes any difference on my system.  Performance and image seem the same to my eyes.  I have the NVIDIA driver setting for Image Scaling set to "Off" globally, which I *think* is the same as Adaptive GPU.  So it's possible that my setting it on in OTT isn't doing anything in the first place... something to test more.  AFAIK, this function deals with scaling images to correct aspect ratio differences, to help sharpen the overall image more.  But I'm talking all hypothesis here, not sure tbh.  You have me more curious now 🙂

At this point I need to take the recommendation to get CapframeX and peck-out the truly optimal settings combo between Oculus, OTT, and Nvidia driver settings.  Then type it all up clearly and concisely, if I can.

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

On 11/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, Nealius said:

I assume reducing the desktop resolution eliminates the possibility of recording VR footage as you play? 

I assume that yes, this will hose the ability to capture VR mirror at high resolution.  I've never tried making VR videos and didn't test it, but it'd be great to know from someone that does record VR vids with Oculus if it's still possible to capture high resolution video with an intentionally gimped desktop resolution like this. 

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

On 11/11/2022 at 6:54 AM, davidrbarnette said:

What is the benefit of lowering the desktop resolution through OTT rather than just setting it lower in DCS settings?

This is a good question.  in DCS for my VR "custom3" config, I've always had it set to the lowest value that DCS presents, which I think is 1200x1020. ??  If memory serves, I think I did get some performance improvement doing that. But when I noticed that by using a profile in OTT that one can expose a setting to choose 800x600, I figured why not try the least graphical loading possible, right?  The result was a performance gain far exceeding any expectations I had.  I think that it's either 800x600 is just so much lighter that it makes the difference, or doing it through OTT is doing it differently -- like maybe scaling the entire windows desktop environment down and not just the sim.  

Edited by Fuggzy

I digress for a moment to stand back and marvel at the experience of VR in DCS. 

When it is working and fluid, it's a different beast altogether from when it was choppy and suffering.  VR is VR, we all have similar expectations regarding "reality" in this context.  What caught me by surprise is that after flying for a couple of weeks, and I mean flying all my aircraft obsessively, I've observed a new level of realism comes with getting the FPS and system super fluid - no microstutters or anything amiss.  With all motion flawless and connected with tiny movements, it FEELS real. It feels like I'm part of the jet, and am there.  I get butterflies on big maneuvers.  Sometimes in the middle of big WWII furballs my brain will decide that it knows I should be feeling G's right now, so ... here ya go, Imagination Station, make him weigh 800 pounds in his game chair, until he comes back to reality.  I'm really astonished at the cumulative experience of VR in DCS when it runs well, I can only imagine with monster hardware pushing better resolutions that it's my childhood dream come true.  I'm kinda old, btw, I've been wanting Holodeck for a very long time.  🙂

• Like 2

Thanks for exploring. I will try that asap. Very curious.

But one take about the ASW Modi.

The Number of the ASW Mode is related to the Refreshrate 90hz. So if you have 80hz and ASW 45 (which is half of 90hz) you get ASW at 40FPS which is half of 80hz. ASW30 at 72hz is 24fps while ASW 45 at 72hz is 36Hz and so on.

What I discovered is that ASW makes it very smooth because it gets you like fake 72/80/90/120 hz. which is a very nice feature and it works very fine in the air but only ASW 45 forced (CTRL + Num3) does get you a very smooth adventure while flying low level and looking to the right/left.

If you use ASW 30 or 45 (non forced) (CTRl + Num2 for 45) Buildings and Trees will be like doubled if you look at them while passing by. Only the forced mode (CTRL + Num3) does reproduce the visuals correctly in the fake immages rendered in between the real immages.

Unfortunately the forced mode will give you some wiggly waggly lines within the cockpit but I got used to it.

Edited by RoboHackfeld
  • Like 1

Thanks man! 

I tried it with my Quest Pro. At first it didn't work, but then I followed the exact procedure to unplug OculusLink, clean out the fsx and metashader2 directories, and reboot, etc... and now I get very stable 45fps and the frame time is pretty solid (I fixed it at 45). Before, I got mostly 45fps, but at low alt. and near Vegas buildings, I get 30, and a lot of constant spikes on the frame time, like periodical spikes, one after another. Now, after, the frame time history is like a straight line... sure, occasionally, there are spikes when I approach some new buildings... but it's mainly just a flat line. Even on the ground at Nellis, I get quite stable 45fps. Great Improvement.

Again... Thanks a lot!

Edited by Hempstead

I figured our, it works immediately with the 800x600 Res, when you rightclick on your profile -> Launch Game.

That it immediately changes the Resolution but with my System I could not notice any performance gain.

What kind of Systems do you guys use?

I have a 5800x3D, 32Gig of Ram and a AMD 6900XT. Game runs on an M.2 SSd.

5 hours ago, RoboHackfeld said:

I figured our, it works immediately with the 800x600 Res, when you rightclick on your profile -> Launch Game.

That it immediately changes the Resolution but with my System I could not notice any performance gain.

What kind of Systems do you guys use?

I have a 5800x3D, 32Gig of Ram and a AMD 6900XT. Game runs on an M.2 SSd.

Same here, not noticed any performance gain, PC on the signature

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I think this works on low Systems when the System struggles to handle a high Desktop Resolution and VR game at once.

The threadopener runs a 2060 so you run a 4090 and myselve a 6900XT wich are more powerfull Cards.

May change the Titel of the Thread to 75% Gain on Low End/mid systems

• 2 weeks later...

OP, I'm blown away by the difference this makes. Thanks for posting. My frame times dropped significantly (didn't note numbers), and my FPS jumped from ~36 to 46-55 on the Supercarrier deck loaded with jets and consistent 60+ in the air (Instant Action, PG).

3070, 12700KF, mild OC on both, 32GB RAM @ 4600.

Interesting finding going to 800x600 desktop, not much of an improvement on my system (about 1.2 FPS) but still this proves that the mirror image has a performance cost.  We need a switch in DCS settings to turn the mirror on or off!  

• Like 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

• 1 month later...

the 45fps will occur when headset is set to 90 hhz, my systesm 12700kf 3070 rtx 32 GB

tried all above and yes it give more fps but i need to set off asw because then i got double trees, buildings

if i set my headset to 72 hz the i got plain 36 fps so i gues my system is heavier

Can't say that there was any difference at least not on Marinaras Free Flight F16 on 5800x3D and 3080 10Gb. 

I will leave it in and see if I notice any changes. I could probably see very minor like 1 fps difference if I measures with CaptureX

5 hours ago, ssg said:

Can't say that there was any difference at least not on Marinaras Free Flight F16 on 5800x3D and 3080 10Gb. 

I will leave it in and see if I notice any changes. I could probably see very minor like 1 fps difference if I measures with CaptureX

Hello,

As already said in some threads, it's very useful for low or middle power machine
Try with a GTX 1080 and you'll see differences 😉

Your machine doesn't need this tips.

Even with 3080 10Gb after combining this method with this reddit posts tip I gained small performance boost. It isn't huge, under 10 fps on F16 Marinaras Free Flight, but it is something. It now rarely dips to under 60 on that scenario where as before it even dipped to below 50. 

One thing I noticed about using OTT to force the desktop resolution to 800x600 is that when my second monitor is on, it won't change its resolution, leaving it at 1440p while the main screen resizes to 800x600.

Not only that but, that's where the issues comes in, for some reason it forces dcs into a "screen surround" mode into both screens. In DCS' menu, this means that the mouse cursor is unable to reach most buttons like Mission Editor, Exit, or most of the buttons to the top. Completely unplayable and you have to "task manage kill" DCS' process in order to quit.

• 2 weeks later...

You can take full control over the desktop mirror. It's all in the options.lua in the savegame folder.

Check the ["graphics"] section and set:
["fullScreen"] = false,
["box_mouse_cursor"] = true,
["height"] = XXX, (in case your desktop resolution is 800x600 set this to 512)
["width"] = XXX, (in case your desktop resolution is 800x600 set this to 512)

["aspect"] = 1,

Height and width smaller than desktop resolution will prevent the mouse cursor going outside the game window and accidentally click the taskbar or something else. In my case, my desktop height is 1440 and i run the DCS mirror at 1200x1200.

Then check the ["VR"] section and set:
["box_mouse_cursor"] = true,
["mirror_source"] = 1,
["mirror_use_DCS_resolution"] = true,

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules