DCS AJS-37 Viggen manual RC2.1

TOViper

21 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Hey widen! Thanks for your input, but can you please doublecheck, because the newest version (September 30th) has already been corrected. Thanks!

Well, would you look at that! Very nice attention to detail! 🙂

7 minutes ago, widen76 said:

Very nice attention to detail! 🙂

Always ... if I have time to do so :biggrin:
In this case Word killed about half of the references to the figures (they were dead, and therefore the numbering wasn't updated accordingly). Dammnn MS.
I wasn't able to figure out the reason behind, but at least I found them a few weeks ago by accident and immediately I repaired them by hand. Dammnn MS.

• Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @TOViper great job with this manual, it’s a joy for  re-learning the viggen (compared with the original manual from when this aircraft was released into EA)

however I have a doubt:

on the start-up procedure, the step "15. Check backup instrument illumination" … exactly what is the pilot required to do?

on page 212 it says "The emergency backup illumination is automatic on AC power loss. The lights can be toggled manually by the NÖDBEL switch. [no function]" … should I toggle the switch even if it has no function?

Thanks 👍

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hey Rudel!

I guess this was already in RC2, so HB initially kept it in with the idea of maybe someday implementing this; currently, it obviously isn't.
I will make a mark for the next RC2.1 update.

To answer your question: of course you should (YOU MUST!), so you will never forget about this little poor switch ... 😛
Imagine HB implement it someday, and you have forgotten what it does / not ...
:biggrin:

• Like 2

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

13 hours ago, TOViper said:

Hey Rudel!

I guess this was already in RC2, so HB initially kept it in with the idea of maybe someday implementing this; currently, it obviously isn't.
I will make a mark for the next RC2.1 update.

Hi, 

thanks a lot for the clarification 👍 .. I’m editing a training mission and wanted to stick closely to the official procedure 🙂 .. it will look somewhat like this:

I wouldn’t have attempted to edit this if it weren’t for your enhanced viggen manual, thanks a lot for taking the time to update that document 🙏

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hello Rudel!

That mission looks like a big bunch of work, and I think this video would be worth including it to the Viggen.training Training office database! I will have to watch it carefully once I find a minute or two ...

Sticking to procedures is always a nice thing, for sure! Unfortunately, we see every day, that DCS itself, but also the Viggen module, indeed miss several functions (icing, circuit breakers, subsystems, failures, etc) and some are not fully or not correctly working.

"Viggen 2.0 Pro Edition" (which I would love to see someday) should include all the nice things that HB came up with the F-14, and will come up with the F-4 ...
In fact, I would pay again 50 bugs for a really "complete" Viggen, but this is definitely off topic now ... so sorry! 🙂

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

my computer:

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

That mission looks like a big bunch of work, and I think this video would be worth including it to the Viggen.training Training office database! I will have to watch it carefully once I find a minute or two ...

I'm honored to have it included within Viggen.Training, but for now its just a demo, please wait a bit for the final version, I hope to have it ready next week.

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

In fact, I would pay again 50 bugs for a really "complete" Viggen, but this is definitely off topic now ... so sorry! 🙂

If Heatblur ever does a version 2.0, I truly hope they do the JA37 instead, as I would pay full price for it too (well, perhaps with a discount for those that already have the AJS Viggen)  🙏

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, TOViper said:

Sticking to procedures is always a nice thing, for sure!

I found a small inconsistency with the procedure stated on page 233 of the manual:

The steps: 17. ROLL TRIM, and 20. Yaw trim (SID TRIM), are marked with *** to denote that they "must be performed after engine start as they cannot be performed without AC power."

... well, actually what those steps need is not really AC power, seems they need hydraulic power too, and so they can't really be performed before the engine has started.

I suggest moving those steps to the "After engine start" section, between steps 1 and 2, and remove the steps 2 and 3 from the "After Engine start (without Ground Power)" section, to avoid duplicates.

Best regards

On 11/8/2023 at 3:26 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I found a small inconsistency with the procedure stated on page 233 of the manual:

The steps: 17. ROLL TRIM, and 20. Yaw trim (SID TRIM), are marked with *** to denote that they "must be performed after engine start as they cannot be performed without AC power."

... well, actually what those steps need is not really AC power, seems they need hydraulic power too, and so they can't really be performed before the engine has started.

I suggest moving those steps to the "After engine start" section, between steps 1 and 2, and remove the steps 2 and 3 from the "After Engine start (without Ground Power)" section, to avoid duplicates.

Best regards

I'll check this within the next few days when I am back at home, thanks for heads-up.

Edit: I have now implemented your suggested changes, they make a lot of sense.
Indeed I "scratched" the check of the yaw trim (light gray), since we don't have the yaw trim centered indicator plug/pin (users should not fumble on the yaw trim IMHO):
null

image.png

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 2

my computer:

Hi,
I think it's great how the module is taken care of. The manual is always updated.
And the Red Flag Campaign is also being taken care of:

I'll give Viggen another chance, maybe I'll warm up to her after all.

Thanks a lot to you two!!

• Like 1

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Hey guys!

Another update of the RC2.1 for you.

Update 2023-11-15:

- page 019: Highlighted the most important aircraft limitations.
- page 154: Moved chapter "Visual landing mode" to page 155 for didactic reasons.
- page 246: Changed some text to be shown as WARNING.
- page 246: Added "Figure 199: Tr REVAVDR TRANSONIC light illuminated."
- page 269: Applied small corrections to the text; changed some of the text to be shown as WARNING.
- page 328: Applied small corrections to the RB-04 checklist; added note about separation.
- chapter 5. procedures: reworked many items for better clearity/language/understanding/consistency/didactic.
- page 233: Changed item 16. text style for ELFEL, RHM FEL and CK.
- page 233 + 234: removed items 17. and 20. regarding roll- & yaw trim. (thanks Rudel_chw)
- page 235: Added note about limited battery power. (thanks Rudel_chw)
- page 238: Removed items 2. and 3. regarding roll- & yaw trim. (thanks Rudel_chw)
- page 238: Removed item 6. because fast errection of backup course indicator is not possible.
- page 239: Reworked item 2. to include roll trim. (thanks Rudel_chw)
- page 239: Reworked item 2. to show yaw trim, but made it appear grey since it is not possible to check yaw trim status (caused by missing yaw trim indicator plug). (thanks Rudel_chw)

Have fun!

Kind regards,
TOViper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

my computer:

5 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Another update of the RC2.1 for you.

Update 2023-11-15:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the passion that you are placing on updating the viggen manual … it is appreciated. 

Here is a walkthrough of one of the missions that I’m editing, that was a bit challenging because of the short battery endurance:

I’m working on a few more missions and will share them soon, as I prefer to release them in sets, rather than individually.

Cheers,

Eduardo

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 7:25 PM, kotor633 said:

I'll give Viggen another chance, maybe I'll warm up to her after all.

Indeed, you have to! There is no way around :no:

:biggrin:

• Like 1

my computer:

On 10/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, TOViper said:

... the Viggen module, indeed miss several functions (icing, circuit breakers ...

You might want to add a note on the page 205 of the manual (Circuit Breakers), as they seem to just have the buttons animated but do not work, I tested the SA (autopilot) and CI/SI (Radar Display & HUD), and they for sure do not work. Haven't tested the remaining CBs, but most likely dont work either. 👍

• Like 1

I have some vague memory that the TRIMSYST circuit breaker should work, because it's necessary to restore function of the normal trim system after touching any of the emergency trim controls. Or maybe what I'm remembering is that I've claimed that before and found out it didn't work? Not sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, renhanxue said:

I have some vague memory that the TRIMSYST circuit breaker should work,

Just tested it, and the trim hat on the stick seems to work fine even if the CB is pulled.

2 hours ago, renhanxue said:

I have some vague memory that the TRIMSYST circuit breaker should work, because it's necessary to restore function of the normal trim system after touching any of the emergency trim controls. Or maybe what I'm remembering is that I've claimed that before and found out it didn't work? Not sure.

You are right, this is what I remember too.
The way to test this is the following: Touch the Emergency trim (e.g. pitch). Then the normal stick trim should be dead. Then reset the TRIMSYST circuit breaker. Then the normal trim should work again normally.

• Like 1

my computer:

On 11/22/2023 at 7:27 AM, TOViper said:

You are right, this is what I remember too.
The way to test this is the following: Touch the Emergency trim (e.g. pitch). Then the normal stick trim should be dead. Then reset the TRIMSYST circuit breaker. Then the normal trim should work again normally.

Yes.  But there's also some weird toggling behavior.  I don't remember exactly, but it's something like this:  If you pull the breaker and hit the emergency trim again, then replace the breaker, your trim will be disabled.  Then pull the breaker and the trim will work.  That might not be exactly the right sequence, but I was able to get the breaker to function backward somehow.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @TOViper

While editing another of my training missions, I detected that the shutdown procedure detailed on page 247 of the manual, is incomplete:

6YzKTP7.jpg

When trying to translate this procedure onto a Training mission, I found strange that the Throttle was not being placed on its OFF position. Researching a bit, I found this english  translation made by the user @Toertchen, of the procedure found on the manual of the real aircraft:

Qrfz47g.jpg

The main differences with respect to the procedure on the DCS Manual, is that steps 5, 9, and 13, are missing. My suggestion is to add the missing steps to the v2.1 manual. here is a training video that shows how each step can be performed on DCS (only steps 2, 12 and 14 are not feasible):

The landing part of the training mission depicted on the video, still has bugs but I will finish it as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 2

Hey Rudel!
Thanks for your input!
Currently, I am reworking the manual in the procedures section anyway for the next update (before Christmas), so I will go through this procedure as well!

Edit:

2 things:
a) Why do they turn ON the generator after engine shut-off? Doesn't make sense at first glance, since the normal startup says to turn it on (item 18)
b) We don't have the option for checking max ALPHA (neither on the instrument, nor via the DATA panel), so I left this one out (I indeed included the max g-load)

Kind regards
TOViper

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

my computer:

Hey guys!

I am preparing another update of the RC2.1 manual, which (most probably) will be the last one for this year.
Plan is to release it before X-mas, since I am super busy in the last week of December and in January.

So if you have any issues that I can solve quickly, please send me details, and I will try to take care about.

Kind regards,
TOViper

• Like 2

my computer:

2 hours ago, TOViper said:

a) Why do they turn ON the generator after engine shut-off? Doesn't make sense at first glance, since the normal startup says to turn it on (item 18)

Having taken a quick look at the IRL manual, the before engine start checklist only says to check/verify that the generator is set to ON. Which might suggest that it's really supposed to be left in the ON state.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:41 PM, LazyBoot said:

Which might suggest that it's really supposed to be left in the ON state.

Funny note: I sat beside an ex real JA-pilot who jumped in and took off in DCS and way up in the sky just couldn't understand why the electronics didn't work. The generator switch was something they never touched. It was always left on.

• Like 3

5 37 39 47 51 52 98 190a ce spit (a4 hab) - 430 ca sc wwii - cau chan mar nor nttr pg syr