FSSB R3 MKII

Supmua

It’s really 3 mm difference in max displacement vs the old one…

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

4 hours ago, Kiseki_Yu said:

I confuse.

For example, if we use R3L MKII and the setting Pitch 8.00 Roll 4.00. What's the difference between this setting and Pitch 4.00 Roll 2.00 for R3L?

I asked RS a very similar question, and the simple answer is that they still won’t behave the exact same because the internal hardware is different and is tuned differently.  If you ever set the current R3L to very low force numbers it can behave erratically and might not even center correctly.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

24分钟前,Supmua说:

I asked RS a very similar question, and the simple answer is that they still won’t behave the exact same because the internal hardware is different and is tuned differently.  If you ever set the current R3L to very low force numbers it can behave erratically and might not even center correctly.

Thank you Supmua

Hope RS can show more explainations for MKII. I use Pitch 4 Roll 3, but I still feel precise and stable. 

4 hours ago, Kiseki_Yu said:

Thank you Supmua

Hope RS can show more explainations for MKII. I use Pitch 4 Roll 3, but I still feel precise and stable. 

Pitch 4 and Roll 3 is going feeling like flying a paper plane with the MKII 🙂  Even at roll 4.4 the Viper feels almost like I'm flying an X-wing, too responsive but if you like that kind of thing.

Thank you for all the info.

Is there some default settings suggested by RS to mimic the true F16 stick ?

For me, having this starting point would be one of the great value compared to my Virpil warbird base (without extension) that is not realistic at all even if the quality and feeling is great with the TM F18 stick.

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

2 hours ago, Chapa said:

Thank you for all the info.

Is there some default settings suggested by RS to mimic the true F16 stick ?

For me, having this starting point would be one of the great value compared to my Virpil warbird base (without extension) that is not realistic at all even if the quality and feeling is great with the TM F18 stick.

I have no idea what the true F16 stick feels like, but it requires more than twice the force to move so I don't think this is possible with this model unless you go with the commercial model FSSB R3 Pro which costs >10x.

2 hours ago, Morphine said:

Will the new Board work in the previous R3 Warthog?

The board looks mostly the same as the older one, including the expansion port for the Warthog so I think so.  This is FSSB R3L MKII not FSSB R4, so it's more like a refinement rather than a completely new product.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 4:16 AM, Kiseki_Yu said:

RS announced the MK II officially. They said that the MKII base allows some stick movement. 

Can we obtain the stick movement if the older R3L base can be updated to the MKII by changing the baseboard?

I only tested the new board which doesn’t affect any actual physical stick displacement.  I think the new base may be required if you want extra stick movement, not 100% sure.  Personally I’m fine with the current stick’s minimal movement but tough to tell if it would feel better or not if the stick travels a bit more.

• Like 1

Is it possible to just upgrade the board ?

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

3 minutes ago, Burt said:

Is it possible to just upgrade the board ?

Unfortunately, the latest info I have is that the new board is for the new MKII enclosure only...at least for the time being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

Unfortunately, the latest info I have is that the new board is for the new MKII enclosure only...at least for the time being.

Gotcha I appreciate it ! 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Just received but unfortunately not the plate to fix it... 😞  (MK2 et F16 V2 stick with haptic feedback)

Coming from Virpil BRD + F18 TM Stick, the quality definitely seems a step up; especially the buttons

Hope to be able to test it soon... I am casual (with luxury taste) but if I can answer your questions I'll try (no comparison possible with previous version)

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Got mine mounted on the MTS cockpit last night. Feels very different and will require me to do some tuning over Christmas. 

For the one who asked about mini USB, there is an internal USB plug that will available soon. The plug will fit through the MT plate mounting slots, and was sent to me as a testing sample. 

I’m at work now but will be glad to post a photo of it later. 

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

2 hours ago, RogueSqdn said:

Got mine mounted on the MTS cockpit last night. Feels very different and will require me to do some tuning over Christmas. 

For the one who asked about mini USB, there is an internal USB plug that will available soon. The plug will fit through the MT plate mounting slots, and was sent to me as a testing sample. 

I’m at work now but will be glad to post a photo of it later. 

Please do, I'd like to see it. 

I received my unit a few days ago. I think it encourages you to use more force to take advantage of the slightly larger flex/motion of the stick. This in turn makes blending Gs easier, and helps to prevent overshoot.

Here ya go. 

8201CDE4-18FC-4AAB-8736-35AA1036FE32.jpeg

• Like 1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

• 4 weeks later...

So I recently got my RS base and grip.  I was disappointed they didn't include the internal USB cable so I went in search of an option that didn't involve shipping from Spain.  A gaming mouse cable replacement cable worked perfectly.  I did have to swap two of the pins in the connector to match RS wiring, but it was easy.  Link to the cable I used below.  Pictures show the pin swap.  It tucks up inside perfectly and the rubber strain relief works well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYV5QTN

2023-01-24 20.42.33.jpg

2023-01-24 20.43.50.jpg

2023-01-24 20.40.17.jpg

2023-01-24 20.39.59.jpg

2023-01-24 20.37.09.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just got my ULTRA as I managed to sell my Lightning at a good price. See attached for video comparison of the movement for those that are interested.
Not tested in DCS yet

edit: added Imgur link aswell.

https://imgur.com/a/exeaUvm

Lightning 1st clip, ULTRA 2nd clip.

Edited by Willdass
  • Thanks 2

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

How hard was it to change the castle cup ? Was it hard popping the original castle cup off? I would to upgrade it but afraid to break the sensor and having to ship to Spain. 

Start Date April 2020 

Gotcha ! Thanks for the videos I see the difference clearly but I think I’ll stick with the stiffer motion of the R3L. 

Okay so I just ordered the Castle Cup. Thanks for the advice. 

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

Received my Ultra just last week and am thoroughly enjoying its capabilities!  Really like changing the "FSC" on the fly. 

i7 12700K,   RTX 4090,  MSI Z690 Carbon WiFi,  32GB x 2  DDR5 5200Mhz Ram,   Windows 11,    DCS Stand alone,   OpenXR Toolkit,   Pimax Crystal,   Thrustmaster Viper Stick with RealSimulator  FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra Base,    Winwing Orion 2 10th Anniversary with F-16EX Throttle Grip,    Virpil ACE Interceptor Pedals

Recommend the castle cup! And as Alex mentioned, its very easy to change. Pops right off 🙂

After flying with it last night, I like the Ultra quite a bit, but now I really wish it had more than 13lbs force... It's much easier to max out vs the lightning. It's going to require some time to get used to.

Don't think you are making a bad decision holding on to your Lightning at all! Enjoy it!

I would not recommend the upgrade unless you're able to sell your lightning for almost full price. 

Edited by Willdass
typos
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro