Apache VR performance

Flyingfish

How's the performance of the Apache in vr? I remember reading it was worse than other aircraft and was wondering if that's the case still. If it's improved then I think I'll buy it in the sale but if the vr performance is still poor I won't bother

RTX 4090, AMD 5800x3D, 32GB Ram 

Well poor performace is very subjective, some more info could help us help you like what are your system specs and VR are you using?

With DCS it needs a bit of TLC to get right. most people  just max all the settings and use 1.5times the resolution and complain about poor performance.. well while that is true and you may get better framess and such in other games but this is not those games and a little more TLC is needed to care for this Beauty..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Is one of the heaviest performance modules of DCS but not the most, as example Mi24 is worse but where Apache is a killer is on the VRAM, if you use high textures settings Apache will eat VRAM for breakfast!

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

1 hour ago, Flyingfish said:

Thanks, yeah I like high textures and I've got a 3080 so probably not enough for the Apache without making a compromise I guess

Oh ya… 3080 here too. High texture, Andersen AFB, AH64 on the ground, with the OTT desktop resolution 800x600 trick, and I get 12fps to 2fps, unplayable. Switched to medium texture, 45fps.

Doing a search in "users downloads section" at main page, find this topic, a bit hidden (is in the skin cat.) think should be in mod cat, but it works pretty well without loosing visual quality

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321192/

Works fine, you must put the setting in middle for graphics, no terrain, and works very very well. It says that work also in high graphics setting.....

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

3 hours ago, HawgDawg4Life said:

Horse Hockey! VR performance in the Apache is Awesome. Im running a 3070Ti with fairly high settings and its as smooth as a baby's ass.

well it is not horse hockey as you say just be glad you are good but some are not. I know performance is a bit worse in the apache then say the Viggen or F16.. all the modules start out with bad FPS and such they get better with time..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

4 hours ago, HawgDawg4Life said:

Horse Hockey! VR performance in the Apache is Awesome. Im running a 3070Ti with fairly high settings and its as smooth as a baby's ass.

Would you mind providing some hard numbers other than baby’s ass?

I would like to remind you that baby’s bottom is what’s smooth, and baby’s ass is where bio waste comes out. 😉

Edited by Hempstead
  • Like 4

My settings as follows, Apache is running very smooth in VR, almost solid 60fps.  On my system, the F-14 is the worst, somewhere between 40-50fps

DCS 2.8 Beta
CPU: i7-8700K (Overclock 29%)
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2600MHz
Display card: RTX 3090 Ti
VR: HP Reverb G2

Edited by vr2viv