Taking off

AlanJ

Hello all, i'm about to give up with this Mosquito it just won't take off. I have tried all the suggestions in the tutorials flaps down/up, 1/2 notch trim nose down or 2 notches trim nose down control stick fully back or in the neutral position , i can keep it (relatively) straight down the runway but it wont accelerate past 110 knots or lift the tail wheel so i end up either ploughing into the runway lights and exploding or trying in vain to lift off and stalling and exploding. I have the DCS P51 and Spitfire and have no problems with those. Any help/ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks. (Using X56 HOTAS)

Hi, can you post us a track or video, it would help us help you. first I would say, check for double bindings on your controls. DCS has a habit of double binding controls for you by default. then make sure the take off assist is off (in special settings tab) and make sure auto rudder  is off also

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In my opinion the Mosquito is rather easier than the Spitfire to take off in, so if you can manage the Spit then it's unlikely to be your technique that's to blame. Perhaps your prop pitch is stuck in coarse or the throttles are not opening fully and that's preventing you from accelerating to rotate speed.

R7-7800x3d, Asus TufRTX4090, 32G Corsair 6GHz DDR5, Reverb G2, Motion Rig (home made), Sidewinder FFB Stick, Crosswind Pedals

Also, do you use game flight mode or simulation mode? I seem to recall the former was possibly causing similar issues after the module's release. In either case, we won't be able to help without watching a replay track.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

- disable auto-rudder

- disable auto-assists

- Pitch axis is extremely sensitive in Mosquito. Even with my joystick with ~44mm extension I still have to add a 40 curve to make it manageable.

- flaps = 20 degrees for take offs  (full 50+ for landings)

- RPM's / prop pitch = max (~3,000rpm)

- throttle = max 18lbs boost

- elevator trim = 1.5 to 2.0 notches forward (nose heavy)

- when taking off don't use brakes for steering after the initial 100' of runway, the rudder will start to be effective at ~>40mph so use it instead of brakes.

- lift the tail first, then at ~110mph rotate (do it very lightly, the pitch axis is extremely sensitive), raise gear, at ~140-150mph raise the flaps (watch the altitude, there will be a significant drop due to very fast flap retraction)...

- lower the throttle to 9lbs

- lower RPM's to 2850 (or whichever mode you want to stay in)

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply. With your help the problem has been solved and i've done my first (dodgy) circuit. I think the problem was with some game flight mode setting, after checking all these were definitely off and went to a practice take off i could immediately tell the difference in the power and response of the throttles. Thank you all once again everyone for your help.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Been having same problems with the WWII birds . The other day was in the A8 - anton this thing would not take off even though I flown it many times the weather was wet and over cast . 

Last night I put rudder and take off assistant on . And had great difficulty taking off . Two deaths into fence end of runway. Seems that it would not pick up speed even at full throttle and rpm . 

I'm going to untick auto rudder and take off assistance. 

Let's see if that works I fly in VR . With MT exe. 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

7 minutes ago, KoN said:

Been having same problems with the WWII birds . The other day was in the A8 - anton this thing would not take off even though I flown it many times the weather was wet and over cast . 

Last night I put rudder and take off assistant on . And had great difficulty taking off . Two deaths into fence end of runway. Seems that it would not pick up speed even at full throttle and rpm . 

I'm going to untick auto rudder and take off assistance. 

Let's see if that works I fly in VR . With MT exe. 

Next time it happens save a track and upload it somewhere on this forum, maybe in a seperate topic though. 

Ill be honest it feels like on certain runways or weather conditions that the game is trying to catch up while running down the runway its like its warping and you not gaining any speed yet too fast to stop in time . its like the airframe is stuck to the tarmac or grass .  

This is with M.T.exe .not tried with standard exe . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

2 minutes ago, KoN said:

Ill be honest it feels like on certain runways or weather conditions that the game is trying to catch up while running down the runway its like its warping and you not gaining any speed yet too fast to stop in time . its like the airframe is stuck to the tarmac or grass .  

Tailwind perhaps? But again, a track would help more.