Unplayable hitching and stuttering since last update! Help!

Ever since the latest open beta/live update my sim has unplayable hitching and stuttering.  I used to have butter smooth framerates before.  Nothing has changed on my system.  My drivers have not changed.  Literally nothing else has changed except DCS World's version update.

That's all.

Other games run fine.  DCS is porked.  Unplayable now.  The sim is a paperweight.

Help.  Please.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro

7700k @ 4.5 Ghz

1080 GTX

32 gigs RAM

1080p resolution

Edited by Mr_Blastman

Hi @Flappie

I am having the exact same issues. Constant stutters of up to 3 or 4 seconds, sometimes more, for no reason, on missions that worked flawlessly for 100's of hours before this latest patch.

I just spent 2 days trying everything I could find in the forums and even a full pc format...No change whatsoever. So I hope these attached items help...

MSI RTX3090

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

64gb Ram

Windows 10

dcs.log DxDiag.txt Export.lua

Any landing that doesn't require the jaws of life....is a good landing...

OK, at least this is now out of the equation.

Does your motherboard come with an internal GPU? If it does, please try this in your Windows control panel:

To set the default GPU for your application or game, you'll need to associate your games with it so your computer will know which GPU to use.

1. From Start Icon, type "Graphics Settings". Click the results from System Settings.
  2. Click Desktop App.
  3. Click your application. If your application is not on the list, you will need to browse to the folder where the .exe file is located.
  4. Once identified, click Options.
  5. Set the application to your preferred GPU.
  6. Click save.

Then try this:

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@FlappieNo onboard graphics, only the 3090. I had already tried the fix by linebacker before I posted here with no effect.

I have lowered the quality of all my settings, tried to disable hot plug, tried it with and without head-tracking (both FacetrackNoIR and AItrack/opentrack), tweaked my nvcp settings...

Like I said...everything was flawless on max settings before this update...now it wont even run when I dial it back... 

Well @Flappie and @jurinko I just got it sorted out... First thing I did was tweak my NVCP settings.

Used this video by @JUICE-AWG from the Air Warfare Group and that helped a lot to tweak my settings(never had the 30fps issue)...but it turns out I needed a BIOS update, not sure why it only gave grief now but such is the voodoo of pc's, and to activate "Resizable Bar" in the BIOS... PC is hitting Mach 2 and still accelerating... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jakes said:

Well @Flappie and @jurinko I just got it sorted out... First thing I did was tweak my NVCP settings.

Used this video by @JUICE-AWG from the Air Warfare Group and that helped a lot to tweak my settings(never had the 30fps issue)...but it turns out I needed a BIOS update, not sure why it only gave grief now but such is the voodoo of pc's, and to activate "Resizable Bar" in the BIOS... PC is hitting Mach 2 and still accelerating... 

Funny thing about ReBAR. I recently discovered it may not work in DCS since Nvidia have set up an allowed-list model whereby specific games will be configured for ReBAR with an Nvidia GPU. To actually enable it for DCS you need to get Nvidia Profile Inspector. See the following thread

I don't know if enabling ReBAR in the BIOS creates a placebo effect for the user who expects it to have some benefit, or if ReBAR actually works in DCS at the point of enabling it in the BIOS.

On 1/1/2023 at 5:07 AM, Mr_Blastman said:

Ever since the latest open beta/live update my sim has unplayable hitching and stuttering.  I used to have butter smooth framerates before.  Nothing has changed on my system.  My drivers have not changed.  Literally nothing else has changed except DCS World's version update.

That's all.

Other games run fine.  DCS is porked.  Unplayable now.  The sim is a paperweight.

Help.  Please.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro

7700k @ 4.5 Ghz

1080 GTX

32 gigs RAM

1080p resolution

Same here on my end...
..even though my system is twice as powerful as yours...
...I'm constantly getting those annoying stutters/mini-freezes every 2-3 seconds...
...didn't have any problems and was running DCS buttersmooth until the latest update arrived.

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

On 1/1/2023 at 4:50 PM, Flappie said:

Please attach:

1. your dcs.log file (from Saved Games/DCS.../Logs)
  2. a dxdiag log (howto)
  3. your Export.lua file (from Saved Games/DCS.../Scripts) if you have one.

Thank you for looking into this.  I have attached the files.  Mine did not generate a new export.lua?  Probably because I collected these in the single player Caucuses Hind Firing Range Instant Action mission.

dcs.log DxDiag.txt

On 1/4/2023 at 10:54 AM, Jakes said:

Great video, might help some folks.  Alas, these settings did not solve my problem at all.  The hitching problem is still quite present and will not go away on the Caucuses Hind Firing Range Instant Action mission.

You should find an Export.lua file in your "Saved Games/DCS/Scritps" folder, since you have SRS installed. Please check again.

In the meantime:

• I looked at your dcs.log and I don't see anything wrong.
  • Your dxdiag log shows you have 6 HDDs in your PC. Is DCS installed on one of them?

Can you please run the following command in a CMD window and paste the result here?

wmic pagefileset list /format:list

Edited by Flappie

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

You should find an Export.lua file in your "Saved Games/DCS/Scritps" folder, since you have SRS installed. Please check again.

In the meantime:

• I looked at your dcs.log and I don't see anything wrong.
  • Your dxdiag log shows you have 6 HDDs in your PC. Is DCS installed on one of them?

Can you please run the following command in a CMD window and paste the result here?

wmic pagefileset list /format:list

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.2364]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>wmic pagefileset list /format:list

Description='pagefile.sys' @ i:\
InitialSize=0
MaximumSize=0
Name=i:\pagefile.sys
SettingID=pagefile.sys @ i:

C:\Windows\system32>

I have 5 HDDs, 3 of them are SSDs, and DCS is on one of the SSDs, while the page file is on another.

That is strange. WMIC says your pagefile is empty (init size = 0, max size = 0). Would you mind attaching a screeshot of your pagefile settings?

https://mcci.com/support/guides/how-to-change-the-windows-pagefile-size/

By the way, the I:\ drive is almost full. You should move your pagefile to drive C:\ or J:\.

Since you have 32GB of RAM, ensure the pagefile has init size = 32768 and max size = 32768 (DCS sometimes needs about 50 GB of memory to run, especially over Syria).

Edited by Flappie

I like to keep my pagefile on a different physical drive from DCS, helps performance, but also keep on a different drive from windows as well, to maximize throughput on demand.  My pagefile is set to "system managed" within the advanced system settings -> performance options -> virtual memory, so while it currently is 32 gb in size, it can fluctuate as needed--and does grow to over 50 gb sometimes when DCS is active.

Swap/Space aside, I never had any stuttering and hitching before this update.  Nothing has changed on my system.  No driver updates, no software patches except for DCS.  I just noticed the hitching and it was rather severe on a multiplayer server today.  This was not a problem before.

Edited by Mr_Blastman

On 1/11/2023 at 11:05 PM, Mr_Blastman said:

I tried running the repair tool and deleting all my shaders and the problem still is not fixed.

I'm in the same boat,

Did a complete reformat of my drive, reinstalled everything.

Still same issue.

Performance far reduced from before the update.

Frame times are rather spikey.

Only solution I've found to allow me to play, is to turn down resolution multiplier in VR / reduce graphics settings :(((

Edited by Sl1ck