AMD Adrenalin 22.12.1+ causes Mission Editor to crash

SOAR
Go to solution Solved by Daemoc,

@IthronwiseI have been having this problem all along on 22.11.2. If you look back on this thread you can see multiple users previously have rolled back to various driver versions. Some with luck, some not. I have previously rolled back my drives to like 5 other versions all with a factory reset and uninstall of old drivers, no joy. 

I've tried the show model button on a liberation campaign iteration but it still crashed. I guess in that case it is due to the sheer mass of routes and other stuff in the mission that it still crashes. So i think if it works it just works if the threshold of content stays under a certain limit or so.

Edited by 313 SQN JD

@313 SQN JD Could you share a typical mission file where you face this issue? That could help to find out, what is going wrong. As I wrote I don't have this issue but maybe I just don't use the same units, waypoint actions or trigger actions as you or the other affected users in my missions.

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

56 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Here's two:

Thank you @Flappie. I can confirm this issue in both missions (Operation Clear Field Escalation and Operation Scarlet Down). The icons in the ME start flickering and then DCS crashes to the desktop without an error message. I have never seen this in my missions, but I also didn't have that many units in them.
I think it could be a VRAM problem because in both missions the VRAM workload of my 6800XT is 100% in the ME.

• Thanks 1

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

26 minutes ago, Ithronwise said:

I think it could be a VRAM problem because in both missions the VRAM workload of my 6800XT is 100% in the ME.

Thanks for testing this.

Can others confirm the crash happens once VRAM is full? That might be a good indication for devs.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

10 hours ago, Flappie said:

You mean, when you access a unit's payload menu?

Exactly

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thanks for testing this.

Can others confirm the crash happens once VRAM is full? That might be a good indication for devs.

Negative! 6800XT and VRAM is not Full. Only Clockrate goes All in. (Tested on other mission than here in this Thread)

Edited by TheGhostOfDefi
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TheGhostOfDefi said:

Negative! 6800XT and VRAM is not Full. Only Clockrate goes All in. (Tested on other mission than here in this Thread)

How many units do you have in your mission? I have a lot of missions with 400 to 700 units  (static and non-static) and never had this issue. Only with the two missions from this thread I saw this issue for the very first time and on both missions the VRAM was full (16384 MB) in the Mission Editor.

1 hour ago, Ithronwise said:

How many units do you have in your mission? I have a lot of missions with 400 to 700 units  (static and non-static) and never had this issue. Only with the two missions from this thread I saw this issue for the very first time and on both missions the VRAM was full (16384 MB) in the Mission Editor.

I dont know i opened Foothold Syria. I will later check my VRAM but with the missions provided in this thread. 

Neat Video of that "Cook off":

19 hours ago, Flappie said:

You mean, when you access a unit's payload menu?

Oddly enough, the payload window did not crash it for me, it was when I clicked on a "static" unit. That opened the little 3d preview window which caused an instant flashing lightshow again and CTD.

FYI for others, the latest stable driver I can use on both the 6800XT and 6950XT is 22.5.1 04/28/22.

Edit: I also forgot to mention, rolling back the drivers was not enough. Windows 10 would consistently re-install the new driver even with driver updates off. I even have hardware updates off in group policy. You have to go into the control panel/device manager and manually install the old driver through there. That was my experience anyway.

Edited by Daemoc
  • Like 1

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

1 minute ago, Daemoc said:

FYI for others, the latest stable driver I can use on both the 6800XT and 6950XT is 22.5.1 04/28/22.

Can confirm, I kept an installer of that specific version just for this.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I have tried to provoke this issue by building a mission with a large number of all kind of units (2187 in all) but I had no luck (see screenshot). The ME becomes a little laggy but no flickering, no crash. I have the mission attached (Attention, it is a nonsense mission just for testing, so don't try to play it, just load it in the ME). The file size is surprisingly small compared to the both problematic missions posted earlier in this thread. But this cannot be the reason because I have a very complex mission with a lot of trigger actions in it that is twice as large as these both.
So, I have no glue. Maybe it is a special unit that I haven't used in my missions yet or it is a combination between an unit and some waypoint or trigger actions, I don't know. Could someone of the affected users test the attached mission in the ME? Normally it shouldn't cause any problems.

Flickering Crash Test.jpg

Flickering Crash Test.miz

7 hours ago, Ithronwise said:

I have tried to provoke this issue by building a mission with a large number of all kind of units (2187 in all) but I had no luck (see screenshot). The ME becomes a little laggy but no flickering, no crash. I have the mission attached (Attention, it is a nonsense mission just for testing, so don't try to play it, just load it in the ME). The file size is surprisingly small compared to the both problematic missions posted earlier in this thread. But this cannot be the reason because I have a very complex mission with a lot of trigger actions in it that is twice as large as these both.
So, I have no glue. Maybe it is a special unit that I haven't used in my missions yet or it is a combination between an unit and some waypoint or trigger actions, I don't know. Could someone of the affected users test the attached mission in the ME? Normally it shouldn't cause any problems.

Flickering Crash Test.jpg

Flickering Crash Test.miz 194.31 kB · 0 downloads

In your base version the Mission goes fine but i edited it to include an unhealthy amount of WAYPOINTS which then crashed the game when the Mission is being loaded.

Flickering Crash Test2.0.miz

Edited by TheGhostOfDefi

12 hours ago, TheGhostOfDefi said:

In your base version the Mission goes fine but i edited it to include an unhealthy amount of WAYPOINTS which then crashed the game when the Mission is being loaded.

I can confirm that. And in this mission the VRAM workload was only 11064 MB, GPU workload was 20%, CPU workload was 9% and RAM workload was 23.1 GB when it crashed.

Can also confirm it's fixed on MT branch with RX 7900 XTX and Adrenaline 23.2.2 🙌

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASRock X670E Steel Legend | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000MHz CL32 | XFX RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 24GB GDDR6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80+ Platinum (2022) | Meta Quest 3 512GB | Dell S3422DWG 34" 144Hz UWQHD (3440x1440) | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base & Grip with 200mm VPC Flightstick Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals | VPC Control Panel #2 & VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel

Also fixed on ST branch.

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASRock X670E Steel Legend | 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000MHz CL32 | XFX RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 24GB GDDR6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80+ Platinum (2022) | Meta Quest 3 512GB | Dell S3422DWG 34" 144Hz UWQHD (3440x1440) | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base & Grip with 200mm VPC Flightstick Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals | VPC Control Panel #2 & VPC SharKa-50 Control Panel

I also can confirm that. No crashes anymore in ST and MT (I tested both with the missions in this thread), still on Adrenalin 22.11.2

Edited by Ithronwise
graphics driver version added

I have had this issue for ages. I tried the new drivers when they released them for my card on the 7th and always a crash in amdxx64.dll

the game only works for me on 22.5.1 like alot of other people.

Then i found this VERY hidden thread. This is my specs:

asrock b550 phantom gaming 4 a/c

2xCorsair 32gb sticks- running dual channel at XMP 3200 mhz. CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 - passed literally 12 memtest passes

amd 5800x3d 

asrock challenger radeon 6600xt

i run dcs by istef on a 1tb SSD

ive replaced my ram multiple times and my mobo since having this issue as well as my GPU and CPU. it ALWAYS persists no matter what i do. XMP on XMP off. tried everything

I can EASILY replicate the issue, just load a mission with 3000 objects and zoom in and out on the mission editor with objects showing, u can turn them off to make it happen slower, but it will still happen. The screen if flicker and I will get graphical artifacts then the game crashes, always in AMDxx64.dll

I would also have issues with crashing refueling in the air at sunset, where my game would just crash. That one is harder to replicate, but it was in teh same dll.

i havent tried the new drivers in MT to see if that changes anything. but they definitely still crash in ST