Why is my F-18 supercrusing?

Rasmus Højgaard
Go to solution Solved by Bunny Clark,

2 hours ago, Spirale said:

Whaou very impressive interview :). I really hope that the futur FM overhaul give a bit more fangs to the Hornet, i mean his real fangs 😃

The Legacy Hornet seems to be THE most underrated 4th Gen fighter out there. If you're interested, I started a thread with links to real Eagle, Strike Eagle, Tomcat, Hornet and Viper drivers praising the performance capabilities of the Legacy Hornet. 👍

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 2

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• Solution

Supercruise is sustained supersonic flight of a supersonic aircraft with a useful cargo, passenger, or weapons load without using afterburner.

Supersonic is also often defined as >M1.2, though it's different for every aircraft. Between about M0.8 and M1.2 is the transonic regime where because of aerodynamic forces some, but not all of, the air around the aircraft is moving at velocities above the speed of sound. An aircraft is not truly supersonic until the entire aerodynamic flow around the airframe is above the speed of sound, and that happens at a different airspeed for different aircraft, at different altitudes, and different temperatures. 

Most aircraft that are truly supercruise capable will do so around M1.5, and the Hornet certainly can't do that.

Yeah i still Think it’s pretty neat that it can

3 hours ago, wilbur81 said:

The Legacy Hornet seems to be THE most underrated 4th Gen fighter out there. If you're interested, I started a thread with links to real Eagle, Strike Eagle, Tomcat, Hornet and Viper drivers praising the performance capabilities of the Legacy Hornet. 👍

Oooh it’s like a knife to the heart when you say legacy hornet. It’s just the c model f18. I cant accept the fact they have been replaced. However some countries still use them. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 12:18 PM, Rasmus Højgaard said:

I cant accept the fact they have been replaced. However some countries still use them. 

The USMC will be using them for quite some time more. They never bought Super Hornet, so the Cs and Ds will serve until replaced by the F-35. 

22 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

The USMC will be using them for quite some time more. They never bought Super Hornet, so the Cs and Ds will serve until replaced by the F-35. 

One never knows what will actually happen with Gov't spending, but at least 10 of those USMC Hornet's may get the APG-79 AESA radar upgrades. It's been successfully tested at least. Man, if that actually happened and made it all the way into DCS! The maneuverability, speed, and looks of the Charlie with the Radar of the Rhino!

https://www.naval-technology.com/news/raytheon-tests-apg-79v4-asea-radar-on-usmc-f-a-18-hornet/

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

2 hours ago, wilbur81 said:

One never knows what will actually happen with Gov't spending...   

You can say that again :crazy::clown_2:.         Hornets, Rhinos and... all right!, Eagles and Mudhens. I wouldn't snicker at Raptors either.   I think I have it backwards but that's OK.:glare:

Edited by oldcrusty
typo

11 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Unfortunately they don't go to the boat anymore :sad:

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg