Is it Fair to Say VR is pretty much useless (for Some Players) at this point in the current open beta?

Boneski

The Title Kinda States The POV.

I tried following some of the guides which it is hard to know if they are still valid since the game is constantly changing.

One question I had was do we users still have to delete these things called shaders?? (I am not sure what shaders are but you see them mentioned in guides with out details on what exactly they are and exactly why we have to delete them. The reasons seem to be lacking. 

There there is DCS repair does that do this clean up for you? Seems like deleting files the game is looking for s a recipe for disaster and a reinstall headache.

But for me with openxr (switched from Steam VR) and dcs with the nivida graphics card and pc set for performance mode the game is a jittery mess of pixels ... a real horror show. 

I am using mix reality I am using a AMD CPU Ryzen 2700 with a ASUS B430 Pro4 Main Board with 32 Gigs of Ram , The Video Card is a  Nvidia 2060 RTX and the VR headset is an HP Reverb 2 Version 2 

I would love to know if users have issues  as well. Thanks -Bones

Edited by Boneski

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

• Boneski changed the title to Is it Fair to Say VR is pretty much useless (for Some Players) at this point in the current open beta?

I wouldn't say its useless, but its much more of a pain in the ass.

I definitely dont use VR because it offers me any sort of competetive advantage, in fact i can easily check 6 with a LED tracker whereas i need to twist my entire body in VR. Just one of the examples of course.

So no, I don't agree, its not useless, its an amazing way to play flight sims and many other games and even if it does limit me in some ways i'd still rather not go back to 2d.

UNLESS you had "not worth the effort" in mind - in which case i am more willing to agree, If i had less time i certainly wouldn't bother with this mess where everything gets broken each patch.

case in point: Im writing this as im trying to figure out why the most recent patch shat the bed and broke opencomposite/openxr toolkit. Great fun.

Edited by Vanguardski

It is useless when the sim doesn't load. 🙂

I'm running G2 with a 2080Ti using steam.  

Edited by BoneDust

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Why is the OpenXR Tool kit appearing on the main menu saying press cntl F2.

I don't use OpenXR.  It is freezing the sim up.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

BigNewy said openxr is now native in the game, not steam vr, wasn’t in patch notes . Also having motion reprojection forced on is causing crashes. Off, or auto works.. I don’t play in VR so this means nothing to me, just relaying a message lol 

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Wait, what now?  Does this mean we can now simply have Microsoft OpenXR Tools for WMR (along with the runtime) installed, and DCS should just work in VR.  I'm wondering what the command line open is for dcs.exe to get it to launch in VR mode (rather than having to go through the Steam menu).

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

6 minutes ago, GayCavalier said:

Wait, what now?  Does this mean we can now simply have Microsoft OpenXR Tools for WMR (along with the runtime) installed, and DCS should just work in VR.  I'm wondering what the command line open is for dcs.exe to get it to launch in VR mode (rather than having to go through the Steam menu).

Yes it should, as long as your default OpenXR runtime is set to WMR (which it should be by default).

However, there is a bug in the implementation which means that having motion reprojection enabled (Always On) causes DCS to hang.

Having the VR headset enabled option ticked in DCS VR settings will make DCs launch in VR mode.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, MadKreator said:

BigNewy said openxr is now native in the game, not steam vr, wasn’t in patch notes . Also having motion reprojection forced on is causing crashes. Off, or auto works.. I don’t play in VR so this means nothing to me, just relaying a message lol 

lol what is a big newy??? Wait onpen VR is native? Dang I did all that configuration for nothing.. That's the issue I kinda have with DCS now. It's such a massive project it's hard to follow what is current and what Is outdated.

When in vr it's just so shaky ... I can't even point the mouse to flip them switches.  But when you go external its smooth. 

I need to try an empty mission. I try to have activity at nellis with automatic flights and commercial flights in the air coming and going via Moose scripting...  The other day I attempted to do an instant action in the F16 and I mistakenly failed to change the  map to Nellis and it sent me to  Crimean map and their was snow in the game. My PC burst into flames and cause a minor disruption in the planets rotation is was so shaky. The PC was a total loss...

I know the boys back at the factory are working hard to do their best with the game. So I will cut them some slack and maybe play something else until they get VR ironed out.

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

17 minutes ago, Boneski said:

lol what is a big newy??? Wait onpen VR is native? Dang I did all that configuration for nothing.. That's the issue I kinda have with DCS now. It's such a massive project it's hard to follow what is current and what Is outdated.

When in vr it's just so shaky ... I can't even point the mouse to flip them switches.  But when you go external its smooth. 

I need to try an empty mission. I try to have activity at nellis with automatic flights and commercial flights in the air coming and going via Moose scripting...  The other day I attempted to do an instant action in the F16 and I mistakenly failed to change the  map to Nellis and it sent me to  Crimean map and their was snow in the game. My PC burst into flames and cause a minor disruption in the planets rotation is was so shaky. The PC was a total loss...

I know the boys back at the factory are working hard to do their best with the game. So I will cut them some slack and maybe play something else until they get VR ironed out.

BigNewy is one of the ED community managers

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

Got it sorted.  Seems smoother and clearer.

• Like 1

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

3 hours ago, MadKreator said:

This is brilliant.. just got it working (again), and now, I've solved my "VR tab crash" problem.   OpenXR is running as smooth as ever.

I should have known the problem was SteamVR related...

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

18 hours ago, Vanguardski said:

I definitely dont use VR because it offers me any sort of competetive advantage, in fact i can easily check 6 with a LED tracker whereas i need to twist my entire body in VR. Just one of the examples of course.

I think most people play DCS for the fun and enjoyment and not to be the best ace on every server. 

For me there is no going back from VR and I would rather not play than go back to a tracker, lucky we have alternative now. 

Anyway, it completely porked my performance. Pretty much went to 1/2 what it was. Hope there is some sort of reprieve soon. 

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

42 minutes ago, gortex said:

VR performance keeps suffering with each patch.  Native support for openxr is a good sign from ED, but it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Losing openXR toolkit with this patch is disappointing.  I wonder how their testers missed the incompatibility.

OpenXR it’s perfectly working for me

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I suffer as well since the last patch. Im on a Pimax 8KX using steamvr. I never had a problem post patch. Was running very well. Now its stuttering really bad. Hardly playable. Did all the tweaks (shaders etc,). Using the same settings as post patch. Does Pimax use openxr (via steam) as well affecting performance? Anybody knows?

• Like 1

im running both the new patch and the toolkit with NIS and its smooth as good fps no problems at all now haven't tryed fsr yet but i changed back to nis with the 4080 .

Ryzen 7 7800x3D , RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz  Pico4 Windows 11 Pro water cooling full loop

31 minutes ago, gortex said:

@5ephir0thFound out it was turbo-mode messing things up in openXR toolkit.  Avoid enabling it!

It looks that for some users, reprojection and turbo mode breaks something

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Just hopped on with my quest 2 for the fun of it (I only play in pancake usually).  Previous to the  recent patch, and after I got my 4080, it stayed pegged at 90 fps 9-10ms frametime even playing some a-10 missions ( nothing really heavy). Didn’t change one setting and now my fps is all over the place, even in free flight on caucuses, it bounces all over from 90 to 60, to 75, to 45, to 53, to 80 etc etc. even on fresh restart of pc and headset. About 3 minutes of that was  enough to put the headset back in the drawer for another 6 months…pancake it is😆!

3 hours ago, cellinsky said:

I suffer as well since the last patch. Im on a Pimax 8KX using steamvr. I never had a problem post patch. Was running very well. Now its stuttering really bad. Hardly playable. Did all the tweaks (shaders etc,). Using the same settings as post patch. Does Pimax use openxr (via steam) as well affecting performance? Anybody knows?

I have the same question for Big Newey.  Pimax only use PimaxXR.  The last time I used this, it would not allow me to record with the OOBS openvr plugin.  I did not see a drastic performance increase switching from SteamVR to PimaxXR either, so I stayed with SteamVR.  Does this mean those who do not want to use the OpenXR/PimaxXR are forced to now? I hope there is some clarification soon so I can get back to smooth gameplay.  This is a bit frustrating, especially since the crew and I have weekly flights scheduled.

• Like 1

Some folks online showed me the option in task manager that lets you see you GPU... and there lies the tail. I had to tune dcs to fit with in those specs of the video ram.

Have a look My GPU was on fire... blew the pc up... 

But when I turned the pixel density down from 1.5 to 1 bam .. all my values are in the middle of the graph...my settings are still semi high.. Shadow off sadly... heat blur low sadly. 

ground textures medium. Game runs smooth even with my spawned moose traffic at Nellis. Lots of stuff going on via the script and the game is smooth in VR now. Hope this help someone. Any questions I will be more than happy to help if I can.

the pc is a Ryzen 7 2700 with 32 gigs of ram

The GPU is a Nvidia 2060 with 6 gig of ram

The headaet is an Reverb 2 Gen 2

Also watched this video to help me get open xr working

gpu.png

set1.png

set2.png

image_2023-01-27_090850.png

On 1/26/2023 at 10:52 PM, cellinsky said:

yes, amazingly the ingame OpenXR FPS counter tells me 40-50fps (before I accepted 30fps) but tearing effects and microstuttering leading to trail the image a fracture of a second behind my head movement leading to a seasick "experience". Also on Pimax8KX, but when I switch back to (<profanity>ty) SteamVR with less resolution it still runs good.

On 1/27/2023 at 3:12 PM, Boneski said:

Some folks online showed me the option in task manager that lets you see you GPU... and there lies the tail. I had to tune dcs to fit with in those specs of the video ram.

Have a look My GPU was on fire... blew the pc up... 

But when I turned the pixel density down from 1.5 to 1 bam .. all my values are in the middle of the graph...my settings are still semi high.. Shadow off sadly... heat blur low sadly. 

ground textures medium. Game runs smooth even with my spawned moose traffic at Nellis. Lots of stuff going on via the script and the game is smooth in VR now. Hope this help someone. Any questions I will be more than happy to help if I can.

the pc is a Ryzen 7 2700 with 32 gigs of ram

The GPU is a Nvidia 2060 with 6 gig of ram

The headaet is an Reverb 2 Gen 2

To be honest seeing your specs made me think you're extremely brave with that HW and your previous settings... I used a GTX1070 before with a G2 but strictly with 1.0 PD in DCS and as I remember 70% OpenXR resolution to have playable framerates. By the way the 1070 have 8 GB VRAM instead of only 6 GB.

You should try fixed foveated rendering with OpenXR Toolkit which is why the RTX2060 could be much better than my 1070 was, that can help a lot.

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

I have had my G2 and 3080Ti for awhile now, and I tried something new today.  Running off the assumption that the headset just can't deliver on it's own specs, I set the headset to 60hz, and I set OpenXR to 75%.  I did not use any scaling, etc. with OpenXR Toolkit.  I set Motion Repro to Locked at 30fps in the OpenXR Toolkit.  Performance in VR was smooth as silk, and I believe the OpenXR setting of 75% reduced the MR wiggles considerably.  The IHADS still wiggles like mad if you look up in the AH-64D, but overall, very happy with those results.

My feeling is the less your system struggles the less artifacts are shown with reprojection. 

I run DCS at PD1.0, OpenXR res setting set to auto or default (it allegedly adjusts resolution per your system capabilities) and either reprojection on - very smooth with z bit of jelly artefacts, or off with a bit of ghosting but no stutter and excellent picture quality.

Strange enough, I have never been able to use reprojection with SteamVR succesfully. If I forced it, I got stutter as before plus artifacts on top. OpenXR rocks.