Foveated Rendering Support for DCS

hannibal

7 hours ago, Fisu_MAD said:

I don't know what GPU you have or CPU, but the best results have been with Airlink (100mbs), and connecting the device to 18w charger to play infinitely.
My specifications:
nvidia rtx 3080 ti
CPU: intel i9 13900k
RAM: 64 6200Mhz
In the OTT app I have created a profile for DCS.
Default SS = 0
Default ASW = auto
Adaptive GPU scaling = on
Fov: 0.7 & 0.77
CPU Priority: High
Detection: WMI
Screen Mirror: 0
OVR Server priority: realtime
Note: (...) default values.

In the profile window, change the desktop resolution to something like 1980 x 1080 or less (this for me changes a lot of FPS improvement)

The AirLink part:
Distortion Curvature: low
Enc. resolution: 3600 ( changed with ODT - oculus debug tool)
Encode bitrate:0
Encode dynamic bitrate: Default
Dynamic Bitrate max: 0
Sharp: enable

I load the OTT application manually, nothing about activating it on Windows loading. This in Windows 11 did not activate the trigger to change the resolution.

In the Oculus app on your desktop.

Multiplier to 1.3 (5408x2736)
DCS.

PD 1.0

OpenXR.
NIS : 100% size : 20% sharp
Fixed Foveated Rendering: OFF
Turbo: Off

Also i have installed:
https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Eye-Trackers/wiki
https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/releases (important if you previously install OpenXR see the steps for a clean config)

Reading this thread, using different SS (0.9~1.1 in the oculus app, 1.0~1.6 in OTT, 1.0~1.3 in DCS, the only thing it causes is a greater workload on the processor and GPU, because the increases and reductions have to be made) causes the performance hit. Better to let the desktop Oculus App and the device do their job.

This is what has worked for me, now with the 12 RAM of the GPU I can handle things at high speed. In missions with a large number of units I have had to lower the terrain to low.

Let me know if the test helped you.

Thanks for the reply. My specs are in my signature at the bottom of my post (3090, 5800x3d, 64 GB of ram). My settings are very similar to yours. I have already tried using only the Oculus slider to maximize the resolution, with all others at 1.0/default (that was my step 3 above, sorry if that wasn't clear). 

With regards to your other points:

- I am using wired link, so it's at least as good as air link. I use both. I don't think this is a factor in the current situation. 

- My OTT settings are about the same as yours, except my FOV multipliers are much higher, 0.85, 0.95. I've tried making it smaller, but it cuts very noticeably into my FOV. I love the wide FOV of the Pro compared to the Quest 2I had before. That's going to be tough to give up (especially given that I have no problems/stuttering when using FFR).

- The desktop resolution in the OTT settings is something I've fiddled with in the past. Setting it to minimum and maximum values made no difference for me in VR, only when playing flatscreen.

- I had not heard of OpenXR eye trackers before. This wasn't included in the instructions for QVFR. What does this do? Does it need to be installed before or after QVFR? I would think that it l if it was necessary,  @mbucchia would have included this in the instructions. I'll try anything at this point though. I'll give it a shot after writing this post and will let you know if this works. 

Just out of curiosity, do you have ASW enabled? What framerate do you usually get when flying low? 

Thanks again for the detailed reply! 

On 7/21/2023 at 4:09 PM, recoilfx said:

Ok great. I'd be happy to test the new version when it comes out! As is, the 4090 can run DCS well without quad-views using moderate to high settings, but it'd be always nice to turn up the settings more. Again, thanks for all your work.

Hi @recoilfx

I was just wondering, did you ever get dynamic foveated rendering working for you? As in, were you able to eventually get better performance with it running? Your description of the issues you had seem very similar to mine. 

Thanks! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

29 minutes ago, FupDuck said:

I had not heard of OpenXR eye trackers before. This wasn't included in the instructions for QVFR. What does this do?

You only need this if you are going to use SteamVR. You are using Link directly with Oculus OpenXR so it's not needed for you.

Edited by mbucchia
  • Thanks 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

4 hours ago, FupDuck said:

Thanks for the reply. My specs are in my signature at the bottom of my post (3090, 5800x3d, 64 GB of ram). My settings are very similar to yours. I have already tried using only the Oculus slider to maximize the resolution, with all others at 1.0/default (that was my step 3 above, sorry if that wasn't clear). 

With regards to your other points:

- I am using wired link, so it's at least as good as air link. I use both. I don't think this is a factor in the current situation. 

- My OTT settings are about the same as yours, except my FOV multipliers are much higher, 0.85, 0.95. I've tried making it smaller, but it cuts very noticeably into my FOV. I love the wide FOV of the Pro compared to the Quest 2I had before. That's going to be tough to give up (especially given that I have no problems/stuttering when using FFR).

- The desktop resolution in the OTT settings is something I've fiddled with in the past. Setting it to minimum and maximum values made no difference for me in VR, only when playing flatscreen.

- I had not heard of OpenXR eye trackers before. This wasn't included in the instructions for QVFR. What does this do? Does it need to be installed before or after QVFR? I would think that it l if it was necessary,  @mbucchia would have included this in the instructions. I'll try anything at this point though. I'll give it a shot after writing this post and will let you know if this works. 

Just out of curiosity, do you have ASW enabled? What framerate do you usually get when flying low? 

Thanks again for the detailed reply! 

Hi @recoilfx

I was just wondering, did you ever get dynamic foveated rendering working for you? As in, were you able to eventually get better performance with it running? Your description of the issues you had seem very similar to mine. 

Thanks! 

No, i never resolved it. I think that's just the way it is. Simple missions on simple maps like the P-51D free flight instant action, QVFR is great and will give me sharp visuals with good frame rates. But as soon as I move to more modern maps such as Normandy and fly near the cities, my poor 5800x3d/4090 stutters bad. Right now, I am playing on Wolfpack's WWII server and most of the time it's simple enough that I don't go below 72hz, and I really need that sharpness to identify friends or foes.

When I go back to playing single player campaigns on modern maps, I will have to disable QVFR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, recoilfx said:

No, i never resolved it. I think that's just the way it is. Simple missions on simple maps like the P-51D free flight instant action, QVFR is great and will give me sharp visuals with good frame rates. But as soon as I move to more modern maps such as Normandy and fly near the cities, my poor 5800x3d/4090 stutters bad. Right now, I am playing on Wolfpack's WWII server and most of the time it's simple enough that I don't go below 72hz, and I really need that sharpness to identify friends or foes.

When I go back to playing single player campaigns on modern maps, I will have to disable QVFR.

Interesting. I was always using the same "benchmark" file that I always use, which is in an F16 over Persian Gulf. Maybe I'll try some different scenarios and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the insight and sorry that you never got it working right (and sorry for your "poor 5800x3d/4090" 🙂 )

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

Can I just clarify what the recommended ( from MBucchia ideally as I guess he would know!) way to go about supersampling is? Above, someone mentioned setting everything at one, and only ramping up the resolution in the QVFR app.....seems sensible from a theory point of view? . Currently, I am running 1.3 in the occulus app and some increased supersampling in the QVFR app only, none anywhere else......Guess I can try it and see but just wondered on the tech knowledge .

In the same theme, same applies for changing the tangent multiplyer in ODT....can this be handled with the same effect by QVFR or not?

Another query...I also see mention of people making a profile in OTT tool and setting the monitor resolution to as low as possible in the profile.......Is there "Official" word on wether this is recommended? As I also read that using OTT is not a great idea as it is an old, unsupported app now.....

Its so confusing ! 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

On 10/20/2023 at 6:55 AM, markturner1960 said:

Can I just clarify what the recommended ( from MBucchia ideally as I guess he would know!) way to go about supersampling is? Above, someone mentioned setting everything at one, and only ramping up the resolution in the QVFR app.....seems sensible from a theory point of view? . Currently, I am running 1.3 in the occulus app and some increased supersampling in the QVFR app only, none anywhere else......Guess I can try it and see but just wondered on the tech knowledge .

In the same theme, same applies for changing the tangent multiplyer in ODT....can this be handled with the same effect by QVFR or not?

Another query...I also see mention of people making a profile in OTT tool and setting the monitor resolution to as low as possible in the profile.......Is there "Official" word on wether this is recommended? As I also read that using OTT is not a great idea as it is an old, unsupported app now.....

Its so confusing ! 

I tried setting all the other supersampling techniques to default and only using the QVFR config. It did not make any difference for me in terms of frametime or smoothness. 

I also tried setting the desktop resolution to minimum in the OTT profile, and this also made no difference in terms of VR performance. All it did was mess up all my icons when I got out of VR! 

These are my experiences, can't speak for anyone else.

Edited by FupDuck

• 2 weeks later...

I have uninstalled QFVR and I do not have OpenXRToolkit running. Doing tests and comparisons with the latest update. I am not using OXRTK at any time, I directly modify the resolution on the Quest Pro. Before the Update, QFVR worked well, but with 2.9 I have observed many stutters, which after uninstalling, have disappeared. Still, if it worked correctly it would be a good point to give performance a boost with 2.9.

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, splash said:

Hi, could you tell me if Quad Views Foveated works with a Meta Quest 3? Thanks.

only in fixed mode

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Update/Edit: I figured out how to disable Turbo Mode for QVF on my Reverb G2 thanks to the QVF Wiki and Str][kerTV's YouTube tutorial. While the default settings do work well overall, I found that motion reprojection wasn't working properly until I disabled Turbo Mode in QVF and enabled it via OpenXR Tools for WMR. Problem solved and I'm very pleased with my results using QVF!

Question for @mbucchia on the Quad Views Foveated (QVF) app. Which app is the best to enable Turbo Mode (does it even matter?), and how would I disable Turbo Mode for a G2 in QVF if I want to enable it via OpenXR Tools for WMR?

Background: I'm a Reverb G2 user (no eye tracking), and I'm using OpenXR Tools for WMR to adjust resolution, turn on motion reprojection, and enable Turbo Mode (instead of through OpenXR Toolkit). However, I do use OpenXR Toolkit to enable CAS sharpening (100%) and fixed foveated rendering.

I plan to try your Quad Views Foveated app for the first time, but it's my understanding that Turbo Mode is enabled by default in the app and will cause conflicts with other apps that enable it. I would like to continue using Turbo Mode via OpenXR Tools for WMR, because it's my understanding that version works best with motion reprojection (which I use) and the OpenXR Toolkit version does not.

Thanks in advance for your help and, of course, for these awesome VR tools for our DCS community! 

Edited by Vortex225