ADF Homing

Mistermann
Go to solution Solved by Yurgon,

This video is from almost 4 years ago.  It shows two things regarding ADF that I am interested in understanding if they've been reported.

1)  When performing ADF using UHF the needles move to point the jet in the proper direction, BUT there is nothing audible played.  As you can see CAP sets up an audio file, but nothing plays in his first example.  I have setup a mission and it behaves the same.

2)  When performing ADF using FM, the needles don't work.  The audio file DOES play.

I have a SAR mission I am working on and I'd really like an SOS .ogg to play when tuned to the proper freq using ADF.  It doesn't appear I can get this to work.  I have no preference on UHF or FM.  Is there any way to accomplish this in the current A-10CII?

Might this get fixed with the upcoming ARC-210 radio additions?

I have the simplest of missions posted here for anyone interested.  2 Humvees at our favorite Caucasus airfield.  One broadcasting on 300 MHz UHF and the other on 31 MHz FM.  Make sure to select STRPT instead of TCN unselect ANY mode beneath the EGI button so the needles behave properly.

Thanks.

ADF testing.miz

Edited by Mistermann
Corrected STRPT mode statement
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• Solution
9 hours ago, Mistermann said:

1)  When performing ADF using UHF the needles move to point the jet in the proper direction, BUT there is nothing audible played.  As you can see CAP sets up an audio file, but nothing plays in his first example.  I have setup a mission and it behaves the same.

AFAIK the ARC-164 is an AM radio. In order to be able to listen to transmissions, they need to be amplitude modulated (AM).

Interestingly enough, UHF ADF works with both AM and FM signals.

2)  When performing ADF using FM, the needles don't work.  The audio file DOES play.

Yeah, seeing the same, which is also exactly what was said in that 3 year old video.

Might this get fixed with the upcoming ARC-210 radio additions?

Would be nice if they worked on the radios in general. 🙂

But AFAIK, the ARC-210 is going to replace the ARC-186 VHF AM (aka front) radio, and that's exactly the one that doesn't even have a homing indicator on the NMSP. 😉

Make sure to select STPT instead of TCN so the needles behave properly.

According to the manual, that should not be necessary, but in DCS it is. Fascinating.

Edit: It's mostly correct in DCS. When TCN is selected in the NMSP and the TACAN Mode Dial is set to REC or T/R, and when UHF Homing is active, UHF Homing does indeed take precedence for Bearing Pointer 1. In my test, it's only when the TACAN Mode Dial is set to OFF that Bearing Pointer 1 incorrectly rests in the 3 o'clock position when it should instead point to the UHF homing source.

I have the simplest of missions posted here for anyone interested.

Awesome, thanks!

So, yeah, long story short: set the UHF transmission to AM instead of FM and then both listening to and homing in on it should work.

Edited by Yurgon
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Yurgon said:

So, yeah, long story short: set the UHF transmission to AM instead of FM and then both listening to and homing in on it should work.

Thank you @Yurgon!  One small correction.  In order for the needles to move NONE of the modes below the EGI switch can be enabled.  In my OP I incorrectly stated that STRPT needed selected.  

image.png

Changing to AM made all the difference and explains why CAPs sounds didn't work in his example either.  It might help if I learned what MHz equated to UHF vs. FM vs. VHF, but that's a different topic.  🤨

Adding adjusted mission for anyone interested in testing this on their own in the future.

ADF testing.miz

Edited by Mistermann
added mission
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 9 months later...

My testing, and what I'm understanding from above: ADF in ARC-186 radio (VHF FM) is non-functional still as of DCS 2.9.1.48335 Open Beta. Correct? Was trying to get it to work in Operation Persian Freedom Campaign mission 11.

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

46 minutes ago, Pyrocumulous said:

ADF in ARC-186 radio (VHF FM) is non-functional still as of DCS 2.9.1.48335 Open Beta. Correct?

I haven't tested it lately, but I'm not aware of any changelog entry regarding FM homing. That, together with your test, looks like a pretty strong indicator that this feature is indeed not currently implemented.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 6:18 PM, Mistermann said:

Is there any way to accomplish this in the current A-10CII?

Create a trigger RADIO TRANSMISSION.

The range of a NDB is 300kHz to 1750kHz. Example, 410kHz must be entered as 0.41MHz. 

That was working well before the latest A-10CII, but maybe still working. 

Edited by vctpil

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

On 11/25/2023 at 11:50 AM, vctpil said:

Create a trigger RADIO TRANSMISSION.

The range of a NDB is 300kHz to 1750kHz. Example, 410kHz must be entered as 0.41MHz. 

That was working well before the latest A-10CII, but maybe still working. 

A-10CII can't receive NDB's, it only has (or should have) ADF for UHF and VHF-FM.

• Like 1