More Peaceful Death Moment for player deaths

ustio

Everytime your pilot gets killed, you instantly switch to exterior view greeted with the sound of loud explosion and everything else. This makes DCS as a horror game. Specially when you are not aware.

Yes i know Skill issues getting killed first, but you cant not die forever.

So it would be helpful if you die you dont get teleported to exterior view rather stay in cockpit but make it that you cant click things like when you die flying helicopter.

Or have it as an option for those who prefer to keep DCS as a Horror game

Cheers

• Like 2

If such an option gets implemented, it should rather be just a black screen.

Imagine the amount of people who will get confused thinking they are still alive just because the view stays in the cockpit. And then they think DCS is broken because they can't click anything and cannot control anything.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ustio said:

So it would be helpful if you die you dont get teleported to exterior view rather stay in cockpit but make it that you cant click things like when you die flying helicopter.

This happens? I ask because nobody has ever killed me… ok I don’t fly helicopters either. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Actually, I agree, VR violent deaths are pretty jarring, I often jump if I am not expecting it and its not because the missile hit unexpectedly, its being moved to an exterior view and the volume increase. I wouldn't mind the inverse of the current death, in that it was managed by a volume change and fade of the screen instead of the 'spectators dump'. Ejections are pretty good actually in VR, I think it could be massively improved by a little masque and G pull effect. I think there are already WW2 effects for burning and such which I found awesome, I have to be honest I completely agree that this could be an area where a little improvement would go a long way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Black screen = blacking out. So that doesn’t work for being killed. Adding text “you were killed” seems a bit ridiculous. This happening suddenly with a bang is still jarring regardless. 

You realize there is certainly a health warning for this and other video games. Seizures, heart conditions etc are all things to consider if you choose to play action games especially first person ones. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I've never had a problem with this, but some fade in/out for visuals and sounds seems like an easy fix.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Black screen = blacking out. So that doesn’t work for being killed. Adding text “you were killed” seems a bit ridiculous. This happening suddenly with a bang is still jarring regardless. 

You realize there is certainly a health warning for this and other video games. Seizures, heart conditions etc are all things to consider if you choose to play action games especially first person ones. 

You aren't saying here that blacking out is different to losing consciousness (prior to death), just that there needs to be a differentiator for a game, right? The death in ww2 planes has a breathing effect, but its quite similar, so im not sure if the argument they cannot be similar outlasts the current examples, they are similar.

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

You aren't saying here that blacking out is different to losing consciousness (prior to death), just that there needs to be a differentiator for a game, right?

It’s possible to recover from blacking out. It’s different from being killed. 

Never minds the “killed” effect. An action game like this is going to be full of sudden surprises that will make you jump from time to time. Just being hit suddenly by fire etc. There’s not a good way to soften this. If anyone has a medical condition that would be aggravated by that the best choice is to avoid immersive first person action games. Period. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s possible to recover from blacking out. It’s different from being killed. 

Never minds the “killed” effect. An action game like this is going to be full of sudden surprises that will make you jump from time to time. Just being hit suddenly by fire etc. There’s not a good way to soften this. If anyone has a medical condition that would be aggravated by that the best choice is to avoid immersive first person action games. Period. 

Omg, you are serious. So we've gone from a suggestion to turning the pilot death scene into something rather than nothing to medical advice on what the difference between death and high G is like to experience.

I bow to your experience, let's keep the slot kick to spectators, it reminds us there is intelligent life out there. (bookmarked this post, it's amazing)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

Omg, you are serious. So we've gone from a suggestion to turning the pilot death scene into something rather than nothing to medical advice on what the difference between death and high G is like to experience.

I bow to your experience, let's keep the slot kick to spectators, it reminds us there is intelligent life out there. (bookmarked this post, it's amazing)

What’s confusing? blackout due to G forces and killed are two different things. One you can recover from and the other you don’t. So they can’t be represented by the same effect (a black screen) in the game. Maybe there’s another killed effect that’s possible but it has to be rather obvious to the player. 

Edited by SharpeXB

I'd say, the feel of "dying" in VR is fine. In fact, it comes about as close to simulating the real "God, no!" feeling a real pilot would feel when hit as possible. Dying is, obviously, a very unpleasant experience, and I'd say that while it doesn't quite replicate the real concern about your life permanently ending, it's terrifying enough that you want to avoid it just the same. Yes, it's a horror game at times (particularly flying warbirds), but nobody said war is always nice and clean. In fact, real warfare can be way more scary than that. So, I'd say that the way DCS handles pilot death really goes a long way towards not taking it any more lightly than real pilots do.

In general, if you've got heart trouble, or PTSD, or anything like that, avoiding flying combat aircraft in VR is something to consider. It's unfortunate, but VR really ups the immersion, and it can be too much for some people to handle, particularly when things get hot. This is, essentially, what we've been asking for, what this technology was created to do. We can ask for concessions towards more sensitive aviation enthusiasts, but there's only so much one can do here. Dying in a realistic combat sim is going to be scary.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 3

Just to be clear, I dont have health condition. The title was just a half jokingly clickbait title. Its just annoying to get jumpscare when you just want to chill playing flightsim. This isn't Tarkov you shouldn't feel this way IMO since you pretty much dont hear anything IRL after you die. Getting your heart racing when merging with someone good in BFM is fine. 

Alternatively, other solution like just having the volume mute for a couple of seconds after you die and then slowly goes up again would be a good fix

Edited by ustio

12 minutes ago, ustio said:

Its just annoying to get jumpscare when you just want to chill playing flightsim.

War is hell…

Hey there’s always free flight missions. 

• Like 2

Just now, SharpeXB said:

War is hell…

Hey there’s always free flight missions. 

Read the whole paragraph.

Anyway in IL2 solution is the camera travels forward ahead of the plane looking back l so you are looking the plane from the front where the sound hasn't reach the camera yet

23 minutes ago, ustio said:

Anyway in IL2 solution is the camera travels forward ahead of the plane looking back l so you are looking the plane from the front where the sound hasn't reach the camera yet

Haven’t really paid attention to that but the aircraft in IL-2 aren’t supersonic. You’d hear them from that viewpoint. 

18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Haven’t really paid attention to that but the aircraft in IL-2 aren’t supersonic. You’d hear them from that viewpoint. 

Well making super sonic is actually a lot better since the sounds is  further behind the aircraft.

Anyway like i said, it would be cool to have it as an option so people can still enjoy dcs as a horror game

22 minutes ago, ustio said:

Anyway like i said, it would be cool to have it as an option so people can still enjoy dcs as a horror game

Even without the “killed” effect (like playing with immortal selected) a game like this has a lot of jolts and surprises. If somebody really has a health condition where this can be a problem, they should consider avoiding combat flight sims altogether. Having an option for this one effect doesn’t change that. 

Edited by SharpeXB

On 2/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, SharpeXB said:

Even without the “killed” effect (like playing with immortal selected) a game like this has a lot of jolts and surprises. If somebody really has a health condition where this can be a problem, they should consider avoiding combat flight sims altogether. Having an option for this one effect doesn’t change that. 

you are missing the point 

2 hours ago, ustio said:

you are missing the point 

Actually I don’t know what this means

rather stay in cockpit but make it that you cant click things like when you die flying helicopter.”

Are you saying that this is what happens now in DCS when you’re killed flying a helicopter? I don’t fly any of those so I’m not aware if they have a different effect. 

Edited by SharpeXB

I personally do not like that external view when dying as well.

But not for the noise or the shock. It's just because if I'm flying from a 1st person POV, I don't like it to be changed.

I'd prefer a simple effect and fading into black. Maybe a fire or flashing light effect and then, black. But something pretty simple.

Spanish Ala12rv Pilot 

Nevada TTR // Persian Gulf // Syria // South Atlantic

T.35C Tamiz // C-101 Mirlo // F-5E Tiger // FA-18C Hornet // Mirage F1 // EF2K!!! // F-14B Tomcat // F-16C Viper

MSI.Z690 // i9-12900F 5.1GHz // RTX3090 24GB // DDR5 5600Mhz 64GB

QuestPro // Hotas.Warthog // MFG.Crosswind // WW.Panels // TK.ICP // MFD.Cougar // Jetseat

I think a black screen would seem to come across to the player as a cheap effect. It’s the sort of thing a civy sim without a damage model does. I think players want to see effects, damage models or something exciting. 

The internal cockpit view should have damage modeling, as well as the pilot and crew bodies. When you crash, you should hear the screams of your crew if any, get hit in the face with half the instruments in the panel, watch the cockpit deforming and distorting as flames erupt, and see airplane parts and blood and guts and snot and poop flying around, your arm over here, your gizzard over there, the whole thing a revolting mess. Then the camera should slowly fade to black. It would be great in VR!