Cannot enable Vsync on ATI 4870X2???

Biggles07

Hi people, I have had the sim downloaded for a week or so and I'm really enjoying it.....getting to grips now with trim as I didn't realise the importance of doing it regularly and I am now actually flying and controlling the thing instead of fighting it, which was very frustrating at first! Patience is indeed a virtue, first ever helo sim and I am now a confirmed fan :)

As the title says however, I am unable to force Vsync on my Palit 4870X2, with Catalyst drivers V. 8.12, despite having the option forced in the CCC. This also occurs with Lock on:Flaming Cliffs V.1.12b which I dusted down to check. Vsync works fine with other games and flight sims, so I am assuming it is not a problem with the card, but maybe a driver version issue? I have tried every settings combination I can think of, including "Catalyst AI" etc as well as altering the graphics config file "MaxFps= 60; but it does not work and limit it to that! Also disabling sidebar/Aero. That said, when I downloaded it, I got a "Direct X" error message when it tried to install Direct X, but since I already had the latest version of it installed I didn't see it as a problem? I am running VIsta 64 bit, Corei7 940/P6T Deluxe......My first "high end" system ever as I have never been able to afford them in the past, but the ship has finally come in :). Ironically though, I'm getting more grief lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as having the image constantly tearing is a big problem for me, it looks awful and can be very confusing.

Hopefully someone knows a driver version that works well with this card, or some other solution?

Thanks Kindly :)

(PS I was careful to alter Config with Notepad++)

♫ ' Papa was a hairy mole.....Wherever he dug a den was his home ' ♫

Ditch CCC and give this a try :) http://majorgeeks.com/ATI_Tray_Tools_d4569.html

Thanks for reply mustang, do you mean I have to uninstall CCC for this to work? There is a lot of compatibility tweak boxes to tick and such like in the global configurations options in set up, one is for forcing recognition of GDDR5 memory, but only for (QUOTE) "only for non standard HD4870!" (END QUOTE). Not sure what he means by this? Does the X2 count as "non standard" and should I tick it? Seems like it is non standard I suppose?

Never heard of this before first ATI card, though I have heard of a thing called Riva Tuner, I will give this a try and hopefully there is a solution.

Same problem here, although it's a 4850 single card.

Well I see that at least I am not alone lol, its very annoying.......Think I will go back to Nvidia next card but maybe its just a simple driver version thing? Have you tried different driver versions Sobek?

no you don't need to uninstall CCC for the ATI tray tool to work.

V-sync doesn't work for this game any way. I just have it set on App control in CCC,

also make sure you have all the eye candy on as this game runs better with high settings and high quality turned on. 8x AF and 8x AA with the HD turned up to high quality.

with the single core im getting 12 to 24 FPS

2 core affinty im getting 27 to 50 FPS.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

V-sync doesn't work for this game any way. I just have it set on App control in CCC,

also make sure you have all the eye candy on as this game runs better with high settings and high quality turned on. 8x AF and 8x AA with the HD turned up to high quality.

So it is impossible to get vsync, and I have to watch the coptor and basically everything get split in half every time I turn my head with the trackir?? WHHAAAA??? Is this the case with Nvidia as well?

If thats true, then GAWD........:shocking: that sucks big time.........

Thanks for help anyhoo .

In Windows Vista V-Sync is no longer working in video card drivers. Games that have this option within game settings will work (because the game engine can enforce V-Sync) but not in LockOn or DCS because they don't have this option.

So if you really can't live without V-Sync you'll need to install XP (you can do dual boot with XP for running LockOn and DCS only)

No longer active in DCS...

In Windows Vista V-Sync is no longer working in video card drivers. Games that have this option within game settings will work (because the game engine can enforce V-Sync) but not in LockOn or DCS because they don't have this option.

So if you really can't live without V-Sync you'll need to install XP (you can do dual boot with XP for running LockOn and DCS only)

Ouch, that really sucks :(

I'm full screen and don't have any issues running track ir pro 4 no splits in the screen whats so ever.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Ouch, that really sucks :(

Ah, I see Kuky, thanks for the info. I had found it strange that lock on no longer runs vsync too and had assumed it was the card (previously used Nvidia with XP Pro). Apparently there is a beta version of ATT (ATI Tray Tools) which is able to force it in applications, I will try to find it and see if it will work in black shark.......Heres hoping. Its a big immersion killer for me seeing the coptor come apart if i make a quick movement with my head (a lot if its getting hairy and need a lock quick with the HMTD) I use Trackir4 pro too Mastiff, do you use heavy smoothing settings? I tried that and it helps a little, but I dont see how you are getting no tearing at all? I love having a quick look around en route to way/steerpoints, and I have it set to fairly "Hawkish" responsive setting being used to quick 6 checks in fighters. Obviously not really needed here. Toned it down a little, but I'll do some more work on it. I think a dual boot is in order.......with consequent loss of FPS on XP it would seem.

Never done a O/S install on a partition before....would I have to install anti-virus software again etc on that Partition, or is my computer still protected with it being on the other? I wouldnt think it would be, but what do I know lol.....Tech caveman here :huh:

Would it be correct to say that the increased FPS in Vista is soley due to vsync being impossible to enable then? I hope they can fix this in their patches somehow, not sure if its possible though.

Interesting read, i have had screen tearing since day one and had given up trying to force v-sync.

Looks like i might have to install XP and dual boot and see what happens.

Asus P8P67-M Pro, i7 2600K@4.6Ghz, 4gb Vengence Ram, Gainward GTX 580 3gb Phantom, Win7 64 Ultimate, Warthog Control System.

Trackir 5 Pro, Saitek Combat Pedals.

Vsync works perfectly ok here, using XP though and a 8800gtx

Edited by bumfire