F18: Right on the Sensor Control switch in TWS mode does not place the L&S target into STT

Ghosty141

Hi, I've noticed that this part of the manual is not correct anymore. If the hornets radar is in TWS mode and I select a target to be the L&S target via the NWS/Undesignate button and then push the SCS right, the radar goes into AACQ (ACM) mode which should not happen according to the manual:

Page 357/499 states:

When in TWS mode, press right on the Sensor Control switch will place the L&S target into STT.

This seems like a bug. I attached a track file to see this behavior.

bug.trk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To clarify, technically this would be FACQ (fast acquisition), but yes the implementation in DCS is correct.

FACQ - Fast Acquisition - Commanded by SCS towards RDR ATTK display, acquires any TUC (target under cursor) or L&S into STT. If there is no TUC/L&S it will enter AACQ which will acquire the priority target (should be based on TTG and some other parameters - although in DCS it is just the closest target unless they have fixed it since I last checked although it was not in any patch notes). If you already have an STT then it will command bump acquisition (not implemented in DCS) which will reject the current target, generate a temporary exclusion zone around your STT target and try to acquire the next priority target for 2 seconds. If it fails to acquire another target it will return to the existing target.

• Like 3

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Ok I figured something else out, this behavior seems to be linked to changing the L&S target at least once. It sometimes works correctly if I engage TWS mode, place one target at L&S and then engange AACQ.

I made a video showing this behavior:

I also added the trackfile below.

bugreport.trk

Am 28.2.2023 um 21:56 schrieb CaptPickguard:

AACQ takes the highest priority trackfile and STTs it. AACQ is not an ACM mode, it is the usual manner in which you gain an STT. This specific thing you are mentioning is intended and correct behavior.

Oh I missed that AACQ is not a ACM mode, thanks for the clarification. The behavior is still not correct thought, check out the video in my post above. This cannot be correct since it conflicts the documentation and behaves in a completely random way not being useful in any form.

• Thanks 1

I agree, what you showed in the video is definitely a bug, it should be acquiring the L&S. This is very frustrating when I've encountered what you showed, makes STT much worse than it should be.

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

19 hours ago, Ghosty141 said:

Ok I figured something else out, this behavior seems to be linked to changing the L&S target at least once. It sometimes works correctly if I engage TWS mode, place one target at L&S and then engange AACQ.

I made a video showing this behavior:

I also added the trackfile below.

bugreport.trk 479.7 kB · 1 download

Oh I missed that AACQ is not a ACM mode, thanks for the clarification. The behavior is still not correct thought, check out the video in my post above. This cannot be correct since it conflicts the documentation and behaves in a completely random way not being useful in any form.

@BIGNEWY @NineLine Any chance to change the tag or should OP repost?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I discovered tonight that flying in RWS mode and selecting the AMRAAM, pushing the SCS to the right puts the radar into AACQ mode indicated on the HUD and radar display but no target will lock. Tested on a number of targets both high and low in the AA AMRAAM quick missions Nevada range and no luck at all.

Edited by Catseye

I can reply this also AND : When pressed TWS, Hornet just chooses / forces /"locks" "the nearest" (?) tgt to L&S. I bet it should not do this? At least did not do before... Primarly it even seems to L&S friendlies. At last update button graphical feedback -> kaboom, and this -> kaboom. Or is it supposed to do this? I´m kinda new to Hornet, but have played few months now, and did not see this before. (It seems to l&s the nearest even from pretty "practical limits" of the radar (where U usually would not find it so easily...) (or lock would at least be very "bumpy"). Pressing reset does not help, before I go to RWS and reset. But then if back to TWS, immediatly same thing again. L&S to nearest possible. Should it be this way?

Edited by Wiggo

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Wiggo:

When pressed TWS, Hornet just chooses / forces /"locks" "the nearest" (?) tgt to L&S

This should be correct, TWS always needs a priority target, if none was selected in RWS it's gonne select one for you.

The problem I am describing is when already having acquired a L&S target, pressing sensor control switch to the side of the radar should place the LST into STT, this doesn't always happen though since it randomly skips through other trackfiles.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ghosty141 said:

This should be correct, TWS always needs a priority target, if none was selected in RWS it's gonne select one for you.

The problem I am describing is when already having acquired a L&S target, pressing sensor control switch to the side of the radar should place the LST into STT, this doesn't always happen though since it randomly skips through other trackfiles.

Ok! Many thanks! (Now when looked more closely, found separate topic on that "problem" of mine. It has been just broken for a time (automatically choose L&S, if not done already, when pressing switching rws to tws) but now some time ago fixed.) I think I have flew most of my time without it working. But yeah that seems and is totally another case... 

But yeah I still have had pretty much also problems with this lately with problem of the topic. (AACQ/FACQ) No wonder I have had hard times trying to learn deeper into hornets modes vs. manual...

Edited by Wiggo

• 5 months later...