Bigscreen VR HMD

Supmua

Bigscreen - Bigscreen Beyond (bigscreenvr.com)

Another upcoming OLED VR headset from the creator of Bigscreen VR desktop app.  SteamVR platform.  Specs are very similar to Panasonic with 2560x2560 dual screens (probably using exact same Kopin OLED panel) except this is cheaper.  They will provide custom faceplate/cushion based on the 3D scan of your face, including specific IPD support range 58-72mm which means the IPD might not be adjustable--might not be a good thing.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Heck of a price point considering none of the other required hardware is included. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I paid 900$ for my refurbished Pimax 8kX directly from pimax.  4k per eye, 170 degree FOV... Not going back to tunnel vision!

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

According to a YouTuber who’s been testing the prototype the FOV is very similar to the Reverb G2.  I think the microOLED + pancake lenses combination is what’s limiting the FOV.  Personally I think I’m done with the headsets with large form factor, and I still think HMD with OLED screens is the way to go.  Unfortunately none of these upcoming headsets check all the boxes, this one being fixed IPD and faceplate.  MicroOLED screens aren’t cheap so don’t expect anything similar to Reverb or Quest 2 price-wise.  Even the PSVR2 is said to be sold below manufacturering cost, and that is pretty much the best VR deal considering it comes with the controllers that look to be more ergonomic than the Valve Index controllers.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 4 months later...

Looks like they've increased the FOV to G2 specs for the version that will be shipping soon.

I'm really considering this.  I have the G2, but also an OLED monitor.  Switching to the G2 is such a massive hit in the visual quality with color/contrast that it's almost hard to keep using it.  The G2 also gets really warm.  Couple that with the G2 has great sweet-spot clarity but terrible off-center clarity...  I just wish it didn't need base stations.

I also only use VR for flight sims (DCS and MSFS 2020).

Grrr...

Edited by CybrSlydr

Cannot wait to get mine. Replacing a Crystal. 

• Like 1

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

• 2 weeks later...

What I can tell from many reviews I have readying:

Yes it can be an upgrade, but as a G2 user, there are some points that hit me hard:

Glare is back, even at bright scenes (Hello? 2023 already! ;)) = -

Tiny vertical FoV (90° with a standard IPD of 64 mm) = -

The same if not less horizontal FoV as the G2 = o

Edge to edge clarity is not as good as the Pico 4 or the Crystal, but better as the G2 = +

Uncomfortable if it's warm in the room (vacuum effect) = -

No sound = -

No tracking and controllers (you have to buy it, if you are not an owner of that HW already) = - -

This HS is for you only, no other user is able to use that HS = o

Glare is a No-Go for me.

A smaller vertical FoV than my G2 is a No-Go for me.

If I upgrade from my G2, it has to be more than the form factor, a better Field of View and an OLED panel and for sure, it should never be a step back from my current experience.

Smaller FoV and Glare again, really?

I would have to spend more than 2200,- € to get that HS working. For that price, there are too many "go-backs" for me.

But I am pretty sure some people will get happy with it. 😉

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

IMO the form factor, micro-OLED screens, pancake lenses, custom face gasket, acceptable horizontal FOV (I am not put off by the vertical FOV), all sound very attractive. Interested to see reviews of actual production units, especially with regard to reported glare and heat. I already have audio, controllers and base stations.

Glare and the 90hz compression are disappointing

The custom face padding requirement - I don't find the custom fit an advantage as the first thing i'd be doing is butchering / customising / cutting the bottom of the padding out so I can see my hands and controls etc. wearing it like a pair of sunnies like I do with the G2. 

I think this headset will do very well with it's tiny form factor, don't think I will replace my Crystal though. Bigscreen will be particularly popular for those who find headsets heavy on their neck.

For me, I was a motorcyclist for many years with a full-face helmet so headsets don't feel heavy for me particularly, also my VR sessions are probably max 1 hour due to work/family etc.

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

As an Index user looking for an upgrade mostly for DCS I think this is quite appealing. They have btw improved the FOV. 

For those who criticize the price & the lack of base stations/controllers, you could say the same about the Aero.. Heck! The Aero costs double the price with almost the same specs only with a heavier weight! 

The Pimax Crystal was on the top of my list but the negative reviews are off-putting, especially taking into consideration Pimax's bad history. I mean the size is one thing (which I am not quite bothered by considering the Index's weight) and the fact that you need to still charge the battery/change it even when it is tethered is absolutely daft and makes no sense. The inside-out tracking seems patchy and even worse, you need to add extra weight to make it compatible with Valve's base stations. It just still sounds like an early-access VR.

For someone like me who would use the HMD for development and also playing other VR games, the price definitely doesn't justify it.

The BigScreen Beyond seems a reasonable upgrade; however, I would still wait for Valve's next entry (?Deckard) and also Somnioum's V1.. by then the Beyond would be out and reviewed by Simmers properly.

Edited by M0rph3u5

43 minutes ago, M0rph3u5 said:

The Aero costs double the price with almost the same specs only with a heavier weight! 

I tend to agree with a lot/most/all of what you said, but this is a tad disingenuous I think. The Aero has cooling, Eye tracking (this is honestly a game changer in VR) and a facial interface that can suit people other than 1 person (so you could sell it on easier). Sure it has visual anomolies people complain about (except youtubers with redemption vouchers on offer), like motion blur, Chromatic abberation, poor stereo overlap, pathetic Vertical FOV etc, but its hardly almost same specs. Its a lot more feature rich than that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, M0rph3u5 said:

As an Index user looking for an upgrade mostly for DCS I think this is quite appealing. They have btw improved the FOV. 

For those who criticize the price & the lack of base stations/controllers, you could say the same about the Aero.. Heck! The Aero costs double the price with almost the same specs only with a heavier weight! 

The Pimax Crystal was on the top of my list but the negative reviews are off-putting, especially taking into consideration Pimax's bad history. I mean the size is one thing (which I am not quite bothered by considering the Index's weight) and the fact that you need to still charge the battery/change it even when it is tethered is absolutely daft and makes no sense. The inside-out tracking seems patchy and even worse, you need to add extra weight to make it compatible with Valve's base stations. It just still sounds like an early-access VR.

For someone like me who would use the HMD for development and also playing other VR games, the price definitely doesn't justify it.

The BigScreen Beyond seems a reasonable upgrade; however, I would still wait for Valve's next entry (?Deckard) and also Somnioum's V1.. by then the Beyond would be out and reviewed by Simmers properly.

The FoV is still the same as a Quest 2 horizontally, vertical it's still as small as the one from the Aero.

There is -> no eye-tracking <- If you know how much performance Foveated rendering will give you back, a VR-HMD without it is a huge back step.

The Battery lasts 6 - 8 hours with a USB power hub.

Where've you get that from, that the Tracking is so bad? I really would like to hear more about it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

If you know how much performance Foveated rendering will give you back, a VR-HMD without it is a huge back step.

I agree it's worth having. However, I've been trying this on the quest pro. Because it's eye tracking is a little laggy, I can see the high res area trailing behind my eye movements, though apparently it's not the case on the Aero (which I've never tried.) Maybe a future firmware will fix this. 

The way the G2 is performing as of two days ago, I'd be happy with a reverb g3 who's only improvement are lenses that give comparable sharpness across the fov like the quest pro - and change nothing else - for $1000 aud

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 2