Meta Quest Pro Settings

Ginsu80

I think someone here was having problems keeping their headset charged enough using a normal or OEM USB-C cable plugged into their motherboard. It's worth checking to see if your Windows power plan is set to high performance rather than balanced. It seems with the balanced power plan, mine does not provide enough power to the headset.

14 hours ago, slughead said:

I think someone here was having problems keeping their headset charged enough using a normal or OEM USB-C cable plugged into their motherboard. 

*puts hand up*

Seems to me 2.9 needs some extra care and attention. I’m going to paint some 40K minis and check back in a month or two. Shame though, I’d really like to check out the new Spitfire cockpit. 🙂

So I've got my pro last night and just finished setting it up. I'm using the Kuject connect cable and I can get link to work about half the time.

I can't tell if it's the cable or not but the oculus PC app is telling me I should use USB 3.0 whenever it finally connects. The testing speed often says it can not run the test, try again later or when it does work it shows a speed of like 380mb?

The ports on the back of my Asus Z790e board are USB 3.0. I also tried a USB 3.1 gen 2 port (red) and it doesn't seem to want to connect either.

Are there known boards that the headset doesn't play nice with or should I ask Amazon for a replacement cable?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have an Asus mobo and I had problems, but only really with maintaining charge. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Meta/Asus combo was causing problems, but I don’t want to send you on a wild goose chase.
I ordered an official meta link cable and I'll be picking it up soon. That one is USB C to USB C and I have 2 type C ports on the back of the motherboard.

I also just updated my bios and will install the USB drivers again.

Does the Kuject cable require you to use the Pro's USB C charging cable or can I use any charging cable to connect to the little chipset box on the Kuject? I don't think it should matter.

After all the time it took last night to get the pro up and running, because initially it would not find my 6ghz router until I connected to my 5ghz network and let it update the firmware.

I figured I could try DCS out but I won't bother if the oculus app is telling me it's connected via link but it's an orange circle not green and recommending I use USB 3 even though I am.

If I can't figure it out I guess I'm returning the headset.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

This is the lead I use now: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JSAUX-Compatible-Accessories-Powered-VR-White/dp/B0BM93GWF1/ref=gp_aw_ybh_a_sccl_31/261-2363612-8827310?pd_rd_w=0d2Hi&content-id=amzn1.sym.5118a719-96e5-436c-abc5-db8dcd8276e7&pf_rd_p=5118a719-96e5-436c-abc5-db8dcd8276e7&pf_rd_r=CNZ1R1DNR2ZBK74VDXQS&pd_rd_wg=1cDHI&pd_rd_r=13ec74d0-3973-4c4d-95cf-c897916340c9&pd_rd_i=B0BM93GWF1&psc=1

(that’s a long link!)

I bought the official lead when I bought the headset, but it would be on 20% battery after 3 hours of use (roughly speaking). With that lead the battery still drains but I’ve not seen it go below 60%. This ofc isn’t your problem. I’ve read things about Asus and Oculus not playing well together, and I remember having to buy a usb card for my pc (with an Asus mobo) when I bought the CV1 all those years ago. That was doing what you describe, plugged into a usb 3 port but still not working. 

To be honest though my personal life has been pretty chaotic over the last couple of months and as a result I haven’t used my QP much, so I’m probably not the best person to be offering advice. 🙂

I use the one from VRCover.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Ok so I went out and bought an official meta link cable. I have at least one USB type C port on my motherboard and this time I get a green circle connection in occulus home and the speed test registers 2.3Gbps.

Feeling a little better now I guess I'll return the Kuject cable but i have not tried DCS yealt so no clue if it will keep the headset charged while I'm flying.

I'm not sure what to do really, this cable is highly recommended by everyone so I don't have a clue what alternatives will work with all the iffy USB test results I got.

I use my old recommended card for the cv1 back in day no problems and none of all the nonsenses such as charging or sound breakup bla bla e.t.c as far as I am concerned nothing wrong with 90 percent of any cable out there mine cost next to nothing the board is more important trust me I am a doctor  🤪

Had some time to test out DCS last night, granted still had a bunch of random issues.

I'm using all high settings in DCS, visibility extreme, civ traffic off, shadows I think are high, everything else besides SSO and SSR are set to high. I think clounds are also set to high or extreme.

I'm using DLAA instead of MSAA and the PD in DCS settings is 1.0.

In oculus home I have the Quest Pro set to 90hz, resolution all the way to the right at 1.5.

Even with no encode bitrate modification I think it looked good, cockpit dials are visible, edge to edge clarity is there unlike my G2, colors really pop too.

I made things a little clearer by setting encode bitrate to 740. I have the encode resolution width at 3905 too.

960 bitrate was giving me audio stutters consistently so I tried 800 and it was the same.

Even at 740 I think I get some audio stutter but not as much as I got with the previous attempts so maybe I will dial it back by 10 and see if they stop.

Can't see what fps I'm getting because I was too busy worrying about the quest pro maintening a proper connection to my PC.

A bunch of times between my tests I had Link desktop freeze, I had to restart the oculus service. Sometimes the link cable would lose connection mid flight.

I'm using the official meta link cable and from 100% after 2 hours of messing around in DCS the headset was at 88%.

I think with some more tweaking I could get the picture i want and a smooth experience.

But I'm really concerned about maintaining a proper connection with the cable. It still seems very messy. I don't want to be in a 1.5hr mission and then suddenly get disconnected from Link.

Does anyone have a pcie USB C card or is that done that is supposed to be stable? Would that help here not relying on the type C port on the back of my motherboard?

17 hours ago, sze5003 said:

Ok so I went out and bought an official meta link cable. I have at least one USB type C port on my motherboard and this time I get a green circle connection in occulus home and the speed test registers 2.3Gbps.

Feeling a little better now I guess I'll return the Kuject cable but i have not tried DCS yealt so no clue if it will keep the headset charged while I'm flying.

I'm not sure what to do really, this cable is highly recommended by everyone so I don't have a clue what alternatives will work with all the iffy USB test results I got.

If its any consolation, I had all sorts of cable issues when I first got my questpro.... Ended up using a charging cable, this one, which works perfectly https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BDKJ8DSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I also had some issues a few weeks back when suddenly, my PC was not seeing the headset. I had changed nothing and did have the linked cable above connected to a 5 port USB 3 card I had installed into my PC. I chnaged this to connect to one of teh USB outlets on top of my PC and its all working fine again. So I think that there is definitely issues with USB . But, you should persevere, as once it is working, its simply awesome. My DCS never looked so good, the headset is super comfortable and best of all, it runs great on my 3090 which I was thinking would need upgrading to run the quest properly, but apparently not....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

If its any consolation, I had all sorts of cable issues when I first got my questpro.... Ended up using a charging cable, this one, which works perfectly https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BDKJ8DSF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I also had some issues a few weeks back when suddenly, my PC was not seeing the headset. I had changed nothing and did have the linked cable above connected to a 5 port USB 3 card I had installed into my PC. I chnaged this to connect to one of teh USB outlets on top of my PC and its all working fine again. So I think that there is definitely issues with USB . But, you should persevere, as once it is working, its simply awesome. My DCS never looked so good, the headset is super comfortable and best of all, it runs great on my 3090 which I was thinking would need upgrading to run the quest properly, but apparently not....
I am going to look into a pcie type C card or maybe if I can find one with verticle ports instead of horizontal because my case chassis won't let me plug anything in to the current USB pcie card. The 4090 takes up too much space which only leaves me with one pcie slot free near the bottom of the case.

I want to avoid using the type C port on my board so maybe I'll look for a pcie USB C card.
(https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model/)

I have two type C ports on there which should be available to do up to 20Gbps but even with the official link cable, only the first type C port reads 2.3Gbps. The second type C port for some reason reads as USB 2.0 and only shows 359Mbps in the oculus speed test.

Virtual desktop 1.29.3 (beta) VDXP (openxremulation) is amazing! I've seen improvements over 10FPS!

OCULUS + OPENXR (+-35FPS)

OCULUS + OPENXR + QUAD VIEW FFR (+-50FPS)

Virtual desktop + VDXR + Qaud view FFR (+-65FPS)

5 minutes ago, Ahogephilia said:

Virtual desktop 1.29.3 (beta) VDXP (openxremulation) is amazing! I've seen improvements over 10FPS!

Which headset are you using? I have the QP and when I tried VD I saw sparklies tracking my eye movement.

22 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

May I ask where did you purchase your headset ?

2 hours ago, slughead said:

Which headset are you using? I have the QP and when I tried VD I saw sparklies tracking my eye movement.

I too was very sceptical after trying VD last week as well for the first time. But I will back up whomever posted earlier, it is a completely different story. I reset my baseline and started up VD and it is amazing. 4090 like you, I just set Godlike and bumped the bitrate to 200 and nothing else required.

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

I too was very sceptical after trying VD last week as well for the first time. But I will back up whomever posted earlier, it is a completely different story. I reset my baseline and started up VD and it is amazing. 4090 like you, I just set Godlike and bumped the bitrate to 200 and nothing else required.
Sounds promising. I also have a 4090 and with Link for some reason an encode bitrate of 960 gave me lots of audio stutter. Some people with the same specs can run this but not sure why I cant.

27 minutes ago, nilpointer said:

Righty then. I might give it another go. Ta mucha.

On 10/23/2023 at 2:43 PM, sze5003 said:

Had some time to test out DCS last night, granted still had a bunch of random issues.

960 bitrate was giving me audio stutters consistently so I tried 800 and it was the same.

Even at 740 I think I get some audio stutter but not as much as I got with the previous attempts so maybe I will dial it back by 10 and see if they stop.

Do you use QP's embedded speakers? 

I don't, I use my own headset Hyperx Cloud 2, with ease. And I don't have any sound issues what so ever, no matter of encode bitrate.

Edited by skywalker22

Do you use QP's embedded speakers? 
I don't, I use my own headset Hyperx Cloud 2, with ease. And I don't have any sound issues what so ever, no matter of encode bitrate.
Yes I use the internal speakers. I think to get the best visual quality the Pro has to sit pretty high up on my head like a hat basically. I still have not figured out the correct way to wear it as each time it's adjusted and needs to be taken off I feel like I'm gonna break it if I don't loosen the wheel on the back to take it off.

So I don't think wearing my arctis 7 wireless headset would be too comfortable.

5 hours ago, Ahogephilia said:

I don't know what specs you are running but I can maintain 72fps over normal Oculus Link. The real test is what can you get near ground level over a town and max corner speed/ Level flight is not really a test of performance.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:14 AM, sze5003 said:

So I've got my pro last night and just finished setting it up. I'm using the Kuject connect cable and I can get link to work about half the time.

I can't tell if it's the cable or not but the oculus PC app is telling me I should use USB 3.0 whenever it finally connects. The testing speed often says it can not run the test, try again later or when it does work it shows a speed of like 380mb?

The ports on the back of my Asus Z790e board are USB 3.0. I also tried a USB 3.1 gen 2 port (red) and it doesn't seem to want to connect either.

Are there known boards that the headset doesn't play nice with or should I ask Amazon for a replacement cable?

FWIW, I use a three year old cable that I got on Amazon for $13, the same one I've been using with my quest 2 for three years. It works great. You may just have had a bum cable, it's happened to me. Might be worthwhile trying something cheaper to see if it works while your can still return the official cable.

Edited by FupDuck

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

FWIW, I use a three year old cable that I got on Amazon for $13, the same one I've been using with my quest 2 for three years. It works great. You may just have had a bum cable, it's happened to me. Might be worthwhile trying something cheaper to see if it works while your can still return the official cable.
Thanks, I did return the Kuject cable. I bought an official meta cable and that connected to a type C port on the rear of my motherboard I get 2.3-2.4Gbps in the speed test.

I may try another cable or maybe even a pcie USB C card if I can find a reliable one so I don't have to worry about my motherboard having issues with only 1 type C port handling all the throughput.

Maybe I'll give the Syntec charging cable next.

1 hour ago, sze5003 said:

Thanks, I did return the Kuject cable. I bought an official meta cable and that connected to a type C port on the rear of my motherboard I get 2.3-2.4Gbps in the speed test.

I may try another cable or maybe even a pcie USB C card if I can find a reliable one so I don't have to worry about my motherboard having issues with only 1 type C port handling all the throughput.

Maybe I'll give the Syntec charging cable next.

Why not? Get a few cheap cables on Amazon, and keep the ones that work best. By far the cheapest and easiest option! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.