Best HOTAS stick for DCS F-14?

hobbes57

Hi,

for years I've been flying a (center, desk mounted) Thrustmaster Warthog an I'm generally pretty happy with it. However, I notice the 'hard' center of the stick more and more these days, especially during F-14 refuelings and landings.

Do you have any recommendations for a better and smoother experience? If possible, I'd like to keep my Warthog Throttle and Joystick base with my existing desk mount. But maybe a stick that has a "lighter" touch?

Thanks!

Hi,
for years I've been flying a (center, desk mounted) Thrustmaster Warthog an I'm generally pretty happy with it. However, I notice the 'hard' center of the stick more and more these days, especially during F-14 refuelings and landings.
Do you have any recommendations for a better and smoother experience? If possible, I'd like to keep my Warthog Throttle and Joystick base with my existing desk mount. But maybe a stick that has a "lighter" touch?
Thanks!
The default spring in the Warthog is too stiff, but can easily be replaced.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/product-category/springs/

Though I agree with others, get a better base with the Tomcat grip and an extension.

The absolutely best would be the Walmis Rhino FFB base, IMHO.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I'm hoping mine will come up this summer!  Been in the que for one since October!

My WinWing Super Libra with extension and Super Taurus throttle have been fantastic.  I will be moving to a Virpil F-14 Grip and FFB Rhino when both eventually get off backorder!

Edited by Scotia
  • Like 1

Former USN F/A-18E/F Avionics Tech @ VFA-103 & VFA-106
Former T-34C & T-44A/C Plane Captain

I really like my VPC Warbrd base, setup with heavy springs and centreless cams. I use it with the Warthog stick, causes it to lean forward a little but can be calibrated out. Enough buttons to map to all the key functions and then a few more if you don't mind losing some realism.

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

I've been using the Virpil VFX stick with WarBRD base.  It's nice because the grip can be swapped with the Warthog's for flying more modern jets, without having to modify the warthog (if you have a twist axis, you have to remove 2 screws, but if you don't have twist it just screws right on).  Any other company's base requires you to physically replace the connector to use the Warthog grip.  If you don't have the budget for the base, the VFX grip also works with the Warthog base (if you don't get the twist stick version).

Supposedly the VKB F-14 stick is a more accurate sculpt then the Virpil, but it is missing some minor functionality (if you care about being able to push the weapons selector button in the SW position to step between sidewinders).  Although to me the real killer was not being able to use my TM grip without modification, as I couldn't afford more then one new grip.

Edited by 9thHunt
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

The default spring in the Warthog is too stiff, but can easily be replaced.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/product-category/springs/

Though I agree with others, get a better base with the Tomcat grip and an extension.

The absolutely best would be the Walmis Rhino FFB base, IMHO.

Cheers!

I just bought the green spring, it's lighter but no where near good enough and the virpil base allows infinitesimally smaller inputs than you can ever make with a warthog.

I just bought the green spring, it's lighter but no where near good enough and the virpil base allows infinitesimally smaller inputs than you can ever make with a warthog.
Probably, haven't tested mine as I use the blue one with 2x20cm extensions, which lead to other issues with that base.
The whole design of that base is quite strange, and I won't really recommend it to anyone if you can afford/wait to get something better!
BuddyFox has rumored to have some aftermarket upgrades for it. But will it be worth it?
I'm probably better off modding my MS FFB2s.

Cheers!

17 hours ago, 9thHunt said:

the VFX grip also works with the Warthog base (if you don't get the twist stick version).

The twist axis version does work with the Warthog base but you don't have the functionality on the twist axis. I bought the twist axis version of the VFX and locked it out while using the WH base. It's still locked out on my Virpil base but I wanted the option if I decided I could use it for something.

Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

Lots of great replies here, thank you all! Lots of costly options too 🙂 

Ideally, I'd like to reuse my TM Warthog grip - the grip itself is fine and has lots of buttons which I like. I'm thinking about exchanging the base only to make it smoother and easier to control. Currently thinking about a VPC WarBRD base - this seems to work with the Warthog grip and may also fit a VPC V.F.X Grip at some point.

Can a VKB Gunfighter III base support a TM Warthog grip? I believe so. So both bases seem to be an option, with WarBRD the noticeable cheaper one. Is the higher cost of the Gunfighter III base worth it, compared to the WarBRD?

The Rhino FFB base is out of my budget I believe.

VKB "can" support TM grips but you have to get a adaptor and mount it inside the grip. 

I will always buy a VKB again, but you limit the choices of grips, or have to work around the proprietary design. It is doable, but mostly not plug and play. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hobbes57 said:

Lots of great replies here, thank you all! Lots of costly options too 🙂 

Ideally, I'd like to reuse my TM Warthog grip - the grip itself is fine and has lots of buttons which I like. I'm thinking about exchanging the base only to make it smoother and easier to control. Currently thinking about a VPC WarBRD base - this seems to work with the Warthog grip and may also fit a VPC V.F.X Grip at some point.

Can a VKB Gunfighter III base support a TM Warthog grip? I believe so. So both bases seem to be an option, with WarBRD the noticeable cheaper one. Is the higher cost of the Gunfighter III base worth it, compared to the WarBRD?

The Rhino FFB base is out of my budget I believe.

As I mentioned above, the VKB base uses a different connector, so you have to do surgery on the Warthog grip to use it on that.

The Rhino FFB would be awesome, but it's also out of my budget.

Edited by 9thHunt
  • Like 1

The twist axis version does work with the Warthog base but you don't have the functionality on the twist axis. I bought the twist axis version of the VFX and locked it out while using the WH base. It's still locked out on my Virpil base but I wanted the option if I decided I could use it for something.
Not entirely true, you don't get the axis functionaility, but it sends a different digital button press when you twist it one way or the other. Same with the DLC wheel and the paddle. On a Virpil base they all show as an axis on the TM base they all show up as button presses.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

On 3/5/2023 at 9:38 AM, LASooner said:

Not entirely true, you don't get the axis functionaility, but it sends a different digital button press when you twist it one way or the other. Same with the DLC wheel and the paddle. On a Virpil base they all show as an axis on the TM base they all show up as button presses.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

That's interesting, all the time I used it with the WH base I never knew the twist axis could be used as a button press. I knew the DLC wheel could and used it as the DLC... as I expect the vast majority of VFX owners with the WH base. Makes sense that the twist axis can also be used as button presses now you've said it but never realised it for the 3 months I used the WH base lol

Oh hell, let's go nuts. Swords for forty eight thousand

Depending on how your base is mounted, you can check to see if Virpril has an adapter or if the base mount already supports both bases. 

I did switch from a Warthog base to a Virpril base, and I believe I used their VPC Universial Compact Base Plate to mount it to the same stand I was using for my Warthog, and still kept the grip part. 

I personally like the F16 style grip, even with the F-14. It is not hard to map the key buttons to the right locations on the stick and it still has a 4-way switch available for game commands like pausing and bringing up the in game map.