So, I recently downloaded the CJS Superbug Super Hornet Mod. I know this mod runs off the existing F/A-18C files, so it shares the same characteristics. This should mean it shares the same RCS, turn rates, turn radius, acceleration, top speed, and radar strength. 

How can I change the RCS? Because the Super Hornet has increased radar stealth characteristics. Also, if I can increase radar strength as well that’d be wonderful. I’ve never done modding, and I’ve never messed with the game files before, so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Open up your /DCS World/ install directory.  Inside you'll see the /CoreMods/ folder, open that.  Open /aircraft/ inside that.  Inside there, look for the /FA-18C/ folder and open that.

Now you'll see some lua files.  You want to open EA-18G.lua, FA-18E.lua, and FA-18F.lua with your preferred simple text editor(I suggest notepad++).

Scroll on down to the RCS = 3 line and change it to whatever your heart desires.  Save.  Repeat for the other two.  Done!

2 hours ago, Citizen said:

Scroll on down to the RCS = 3 line and change it to whatever your heart desires.  Save.  Repeat for the other two.  Done!

Unfortunately, these values are only affecting the AI-controlled Super Hornets, because the lua files in the CoreMods folder are containing simplified flight model values for the AI. The values for the realistic flight model, used by the player-controlled Super Hornets are hardcoded and encrypted in the FA-18C.dll in Mods\FA-18C\bin and are the same as for the official F/A-18C module.

By the way, the RCS value for the Super Hornet variants in the luas of the CoreMods\FA-18C folder are already fitted, because the original value is 7.

Edited by Ithronwise

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Ithronwise said:

Unfortunately, these values are only affecting the AI-controlled Super Hornets, because the lua files in the CoreMods folder are containing simplified flight model values for the AI. The values for the realistic flight model, used by the player-controlled Super Hornets are hardcoded and encrypted in the FA-18C.dll in Mods\FA-18C\bin and are the same as for the official F/A-18C module.

By the way, the RCS value for the Super Hornet variants in the luas of the CoreMods\FA-18C folder are already fitted, because the original value is 7.

This is not entirely accurate.  While it is true that the lua file contains SFM data that the AI uses, there is also plenty of data in there that affects the player aircraft.

You can validate this claim by performing the following steps:

Test steps:
Attempt to fly over Burke destroyer with stock RCS value.
Result: quite dead

Attempt to fly over Burke destroyer with RCS set to zero.
Result: no engagement from DDG.

2 hours ago, Ithronwise said:

The values for the realistic flight model, used by the player-controlled Super Hornets are hardcoded and encrypted in the FA-18C.dll in Mods\FA-18C\bin and are the same as for the official F/A-18C module.

Can I change this encrypted flight model value? Or is that not an option?

13 minutes ago, Citizen said:

This is not entirely accurate.  While it is true that the lua file contains SFM data that the AI uses, there is also plenty of data in there that affects the player aircraft.

Test steps:

Does this mean that the coremods lua folder only affects ai? My understanding from this is that the rcs change here affects the rcs seen by the ai. Essentially, a player will spot you just as easily on radar because the coremods lua rcs change does not affect player-player radar. Am I understanding that properly?

Just now, Roger Hedrick said:

Does this mean that the coremods lua folder only affects ai? My understanding from this is that the rcs change here affects the rcs seen by the ai. Essentially, a player will spot you just as easily on radar because the coremods lua rcs change does not affect player-player radar. Am I understanding that properly?

I can't speak to that.  A simple battery of tests would be required.  Either way, this modification should break the heck out of IC, making multiplayer adjustment difficult outside of highly controlled scenarios.

9 minutes ago, Citizen said:

Test steps:

Ok, thanks for the information. So, at least RCS (and maybe some other values) are also working in the realistic flight model. I played around a little with most of these values in the last weeks to help the developers to solve some annoying issues that only affected the AI-controlled Super Hornets and so I found, that the most values there are only effective for the AI.

10 minutes ago, Roger Hedrick said:

Can I change this encrypted flight model value? Or is that not an option?

No, unfortunately (or understandably because ED has invested a lot of time and work in this flight model) not. It is encrypted. The only way would be to write an own flight model.

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, AMD Ryzen 3800X, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 250 GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1 TB (DCS World), Gigabyte G27QC Gaming Monitor, DelanClip Gamer, WINWING F-16EX Metal Flightstick with Orion2 Joystick Base, WINWING F-15EX II Metal Throttle with Orion2 Throttle Base, WINWING PTO 2 Take Off Panel, VIRPIL Controls Ace Flight Pedals, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Citizen said:

I can't speak to that.  A simple battery of tests would be required.  Either way, this modification should break the heck out of IC, making multiplayer adjustment difficult outside of highly controlled scenarios.

What exactly is “IC”?

5 hours ago, Ithronwise said:

Can I change the radar range and detection? Or is that in the dll? *Pls check previous reply too*