Spudknocker 2022-23 DCS Users Survey

Rudel_chw

Hi,

I find it curious that no one has commented on this Survey here, nor  on Hoggit ... I know that Spud isn't everyone's cup of tea, but some of the data uncovered by his Survey is really interesting ... here is the video where he disclosed the survey results:

Now, for those that don't want to spend an hour on this subject, here are the points that I found most interesting:

1) First of all, this is not a random Survey, as it is biased towards Spud's fanbase, which is heavily onto modern jets and multiplayer. So, you can't really conclude much from those questions related to SP, Helos, Cold War or WW2 ... but even so, there are survey questions that shouldn't be too biased.

2) For example, this one, about Map ownership:

Z2jNmO3.jpg

Honestly, I wasn't expecting to see a 35% of respondents to have purchased the SA map, I'm glad for Razbam's sake and hope that this will ensure that the Map continues to be improved.

3) This one about airplane modules owned:

cAeqpRU.jpg

The values for WW2 aircrafts should be disregarded because of the already mentioned bias, however I found interesting to find that the Harrier seems to have outsold its earlier stablemate, the Mirage 2000. I'm also gladly suprised by the success that the Mirage F1 seems to have had in the short time that it has been on the store, even more so as these are not users focused on the Cold War era.

It made me sad to see how small are the quantities for the trainer aircrafts, particularly for the outstanding C-101 which has been on the store for 8 years. The MB-339 seems to have been a failure sales-wise, I tought that I was the only one that didn't purchase it, not because I dislike trainers, but because I never purchase aircrafts at full list price.

4) Even tough this survey's sample is not from helo fans, it is still interesting to see which are the most sold modules:

gJqnfCL.jpg

The Apache seems to have been a great sucess for ED, as almost half of the total survey sample purchased it, in spite of most not being helo fans. It surpassed the Blackshark, that has been with us for over a decade.

5) The supercarrier market penetration seems much higher than I tought, but keep in mind that most of the survey respondants are fans of the Hornet and/or Tomcat, so the carrier would appeal to them much more than the usual DCS player:

KwacWZ2.jpg

6) On the hardware side, it is clear that most DCS users seems to have appropiate rigs:

uWvFFIt.jpg

Also, most users seem to allocate a rather big resource portion to their controllers:

hxDKIo2.jpg

As expected, most users have either Headtracking or VR:

Uhu0LVk.jpg

7) Regarding the upcoming Maps, seems I'm not alone on rooting for Kola Map:

rtqOsrb.jpg

8- Of course also interesting is the demographics of the DCS users:

O8EIUzm.jpg

9) Finally, these are the most expected Modules:

9qzwPqK.jpg

That's all for now, tough I'd love to hear your opinions on this .. wish ED would promote such a Survey amongst a more random sample of users, to be able to better know the real popularity of MP, II WW and Cold war.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw
fixed typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

58 minutes ago, kontiuka said:

Not knocking the survey, but this is a survey of largely his viewers so it will be skewed

Please, read item (1) of my post.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Yeah in my opinion the problem is that average joe users aren't always so keen to "show off" their enthusiasm, if you know what I mean. That's why VR always gets high percentages for example. I highly doubt that 1/3 of DCS players use a VR headset. Top 10% DCS enthusiasts? Probably. edit: Oh, and I don't like this guy at all, seems like he's still pretending to be some kind of certified DCS instructor, and he talks to you like a first grade teacher, but in a weird way, it's hard to explain. Is he still taking money from minors who fall for this <profanity> [edit: oh come on] ? I hope not!

Edited by 79Au
  • Like 1

Modules: AH-64D, Mi-24P, UH-1H, F-14, F-18C, CA, SC    Terrains: Sinai, Strait of Hormuz, Syria    -    Wishlist: Desert Storm map, 1950s Sinai, Navy Phantom, A-6, Mirage F1EQ, AH-64A, MiG-17/23/25/29, dynamic campaign, live/historical weather - Social credit score: -20

13 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Hi,

I find it curious that no one has commented on this Survey here, nor  on Hoggit ... I know that Spud isn't everyone's cup of tea, but some of the data uncovered by his Survey is really interesting ... here is the video where he disclosed the survey results:

That's all for now, tough I'd love to hear your opinions on this .. wish ED would promote such a Survey amongst a more random sample of users, to be able to better know the real popularity of MP, II WW and Cold war.

Best regards,

Eduardo

You're right, that was a very interesting video.

Watched it a few hours ago and it did offer a few surprises. I liked that the NTTR map was so popular, maybe that means it will get some love. A bit sad but predictable about the MB-339. The devs seem like really good guys and I'm sure the plane is nice, but there is that reality where a labour of love - as they called the 339  - meets the customer's actual preferences. A trainer that sells for the price of a top tier module on sale, and only $5 less than the Mirage F1 full price -  has some rough competition. 

Happy and surprised the Kola map is the most anticipated. More green mountains and less sand might make for more colourful flying in the future. Also surprised the Huey came in 2nd for the choppers. I would have thought the Blackshark would have been there.

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Well, the Huey is iconic, simple, and it flies like a dream. If you want to buy your first helo, it's a great choice. I can imagine that the Black Shark is not everyone's cup of tea, being somewhat quirky to operate, particularly with how the autopilot works.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Well, the Huey is iconic, simple, and it flies like a dream. If you want to buy your first helo, it's a great choice. I can imagine that the Black Shark is not everyone's cup of tea, being somewhat quirky to operate, particularly with how the autopilot works.

No doubt you're right. I thought the fancy aspects of the Blackshark would have put it ahead, but since my first chopper was also the Huey you obviously hit the nail on the head. Great sound engine for the Huey as well. At least my beloved Blackshark was a solid third. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

30 minutes ago, RaisedByWolves said:

Didn’t mover call him out for pretending to be a real pilot?

I fail to see what relationship has that with this thread’s topic 😐

22 hours ago, 79Au said:

Oh, and I don't like this guy at all, seems like he's still pretending to be some kind of certified DCS instructor

Yeah that’s hilarious. Both the idea of trying to be an instruction or needing instruction like this in DCS 😆

22 hours ago, 79Au said:

I highly doubt that 1/3 of DCS players use a VR headset. Top 10% DCS enthusiasts?

Yeah I highly doubt that too. VR in DCS seems like a form of insanity and I doubt or hope that this many DCS players aren’t insane 😜

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

No doubt you're right. I thought the fancy aspects of the Blackshark would have put it ahead, but since my first chopper was also the Huey you obviously hit the nail on the head. Great sound engine for the Huey as well. At least my beloved Blackshark was a solid third. 
To be honest, I got the Shark first for the exact reasons you state, then the Hip for the challenge then all (4) in a bundle.
(Of course two (x), more has been added to the hangars, (yes, they are all full), since.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Didn't even know there was a survey, but that's because I don't watch that channel. Biased or not, it's always interesting to see the results though, especially if number of participants was in 4-digit range.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.