AB-212 / AB-412 / Huey II look-alike facelift MOD for the UH-1H

AB-212 / AB-412 / Huey II - look-alike facelift MOD for the UH-1H, plus UH1 Cutters, Winch and Radar Attachments
by rato65

UPDATE notes:

05. January 2024
- AB-412 Top texture template
AB-412_TopMap_published.psd

25. August 2023
- Nose texture template (all versions)
AB-412_NoseMap.zip

23. March 2023
- civil liviery (Gatari) with textured AB-212 turbine cover for download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm6lkqk1jmwic5f/AB-212_Gatari.zip?dl=0 
AB-212_Gatari_resized.jpg
- detailed AB-212 turbin cover template texture
AB-212_topMap.dds
AB-212_topMap.psd

10. March 2023
version: 1.02
- added Huey II variant with payloads
- added red nose texture file
NOTE: To install update, delete all Mod files from previous releases, including /MissionEditor/UnitPayloads/UH-1H.lua before installation.
- corrected UH-1H.lua (missing Huey II cutters_pads configuration, corrected WTS and Powerline loadouts, added cutters to WTS and powerline loadoutsn thanks Neo47) - now included in 1.02, or as separate file here:
UH-1H.lua

9. March 2023
version: 1.01
- updated UH-1H.lua for MissionEditor/UnitPayloads with all currently active payloads listed (thanks Neo47)
Thanks to EightBall, we now have
- a new organization of textures to be used in liveries rather than copying after fixed color scheme
- according setup of the sample liveries
- all textures saved as dds instead of png

08. March 2023
version: 0.2
- initial release

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfgv036jeow5poz/UH-1H_AB-212_AB-412_Mod v1.02.zip?dl=0

INTRODUCTION:
The package contains cutters, a winch, a front radar and pads to mount as loadouts onto the UH-1H. In addition it mounts a new nose and top to make the UH-1 appear like a Huey II, AB-212 or AB-412. Obviuosly, this is just cosmetic and does not provide 4 blades or a new cockpit. So, in the end it is for eye candy and enthusiasm...
I made this for myself to gain/improve some skills in 3D modelling, texturing and lua scripting, and because cutters were missing for the civil version of the Huey.
Tested with DCS 2.8.0.3.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

INSTALL:
Unzip the package.
1. Copy the content of "tech" into your "Saved Games/DCS/Mods/tech" folder
2. Copy the content of the "/tech/UnitPayloads" into your "Saved Games/DCS/MissionEditor/UnitPayloads" folder.
> CAUTION: if you already use attachments for the UH-1H module, make a backup of the "UnitPayloads/Uh-1H.lua" file before you overwrite. I needed to delete it before copying the one in this package, otherwise the game would not recognize.
> NOTE: I included EightBalls attachments from https://forum.dcs.world/topic/266028-uh-1h-attachments-mod/ into my "UnitPayloads/Uh-1H.lua" file, so the should be still available after you install this package, if you had used them previously.
3. Copy the example UH-1 liveries into your "Saved Games/DCS/Liveries/UH-1H" folder
4. Use JSGME to install the folder "UH-1H Spec Map Mod" to remove the UH-1H unrealistic shiny effect.

USAGE:
1. Loadouts:
The Mission Editor Loadout menu offers you to choose from different new payloads attached to Pylon 2 (AB-412, cutters, winch, and radar, pads and their combinations). You cannot change the Pylon, and you need to load the complete payload pack listed.
To hide the gun pylons, I strongly recommend to make use of EightBalls "PylonsOff" Livery method:
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/266028-uh-1h-attachments-mod/
    In ME:
    - first load the payload
    - second load EightBalls PylonOff Livery
    - third load your desired UH-1H Livery

2. Attachment colors (updated):
All textures are now in one folder without subfolders, and named after color. They can be chosen by the Livery description.lua you like to use (see below)

3. Liveries:    
The appearance of the AB-212/AB-412 should be constistent on the complete fuselage. I include 2 real live AB-212/AB-412 liveries which are tuned with spec maps so they match the AB-212/AB-412 attachments relatively well. It was the best I can do, others may have more knowledge to make it even better.
See the description.lua how the different colors of the attachments are configured according to the UH-1H livery.

4. JSGME Specular Map value replacement:
In order to make the AB-212/AB-412 reflections and metal surfaces look consistent between fuselage and fuselage attachments (see screenshots provided), you need to tweak the games original AB-212.json file. Most of the people have done that long time ago already to remove the unrealistic reflection appearance. I recommend strongly to use JSGME to install the MOD-folder "UH-1H Spec Map Mod" to remove the UH-1H unrealistic shiny effect. With JSGME you can restore the original setting anytime with one click.

CREDITS:
This mod was inspired through the work from Upuat, EightBall and some chat with Lvergara. I used some snippets of lua-scripts from each of these authors and modified them for this project. The Assets were modelled by me, the AB-212/AB-412 parts were taken from a basic royalty free cad model and modified by me. The example liveries included were published by AWACS_Bandog and tango down565. EightBall proveded some immediate improvement regarding texture organisation and livery configuration.

Have fun!
cheers,
rato65

Screen_230305_124651.jpg

Screen_230305_113127.jpg

Screen_230305_212542.jpg

Screen_230305_213238.jpg

Screen_230308_205904.jpg

Screen_230308_210221.jpg

Screen_230310_214516.jpg

Screen_230310_214535.jpg

Edited by rato65
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 12

Iran is a big user of the AB-214, using it heavily during the war with Iraq, some armed, but specially as transport, insertion/extraction and as CSAR helicopter. Any chance of getting it?

1840410.jpg

1533226.jpg

1519334.jpg

• Like 4

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Hey! I'm so glad you made this mod, ihave been waiting for something like this for a LOOOOONG time.  The November has always been my favorite Huey model.

I am having a problem with the mod though, I'm not seeing the color coded liveries you are talking about up in the OP.   When using the sim, can only see colors that match the 2 liveries that were included and a black or olive drab livery that i guess matches the default army liveries.  i am unable to make a red mast cowling show up.

Thanks in advance for any help

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

10 hours ago, Upchuk said:

I am having a problem with the mod though, I'm not seeing the color coded liveries you are talking about up in the OP.   When using the sim, can only see colors that match the 2 liveries that were included and a black or olive drab livery that i guess matches the default army liveries.  i am unable to make a red mast cowling show up.

Glad you like it 🙂

It is easy to change the colors, however it is necessary to prepare this for each livery individually.

See the example liveries description lua how we did this for the Armada livery (greyscolors) and the Bristow (blue/white) (Mod version 1.01). The texture folder now covers a variety of color versions already. For a red turbine cover and black white nose like the Bristow example, copy the red and white named textures from the Mods texture folder into your specific livery folder and add the AB-212/AB-412 livery assignments in the description.lua accordingly like here:

{"_07.001", DIFFUSE ,    "AB-212_top_red", false}; 
    {"_07.001",    SPECULAR        ,    "AB-212_Top_shiny_spec", false};    
    {"AB-212_topMt", DIFFUSE ,    "AB-212_top_red", false};
    {"AB-212_topMt",    SPECULAR        ,    "AB-212_Top_shiny_spec", false};
    {"AB-212_noseMT",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_Nose_white", false};

{"AB-412_topMt",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_Top_red", false};
    {"AB-412_topMt",    SPECULAR        ,    "AB-412_Top_shiny_spec", false};
    -- {"AB-412_floatsMT",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_FloatsTx", true};
    {"AB-412_padsMt",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_pads_radar_white", false};

-- {"AB-412_padsMt",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_pads_radarTx", true};
    {"AB-412_cuttersMt",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_Cutters_white", false};
    {"AB-412_noseMT",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_Nose_white", false};
    -- {"AB-412_noseMT",    SPECULAR            ,    "AB-412_noseTx_spec", true};
    -- {"AB-412_GlassMt",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_glassTx", true};
    {"AB-412_radarMT",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_pads_radar_white", true};
    -- {"AB-412_cuttersMt",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_CuttersTx", true};
    {"AB-412_winchMT",    DIFFUSE            ,    "AB-412_winch_white", false};

There is no red texture prepared for the winch, cutters, radar, pads and nose so far. You will have to make red versions of these by yourself, easy enough to colorize i.e. the white ones and save them after colorchange with the same naming scheme, and then follow above instruction. Following this, you can make any color match to any livery.

Hope this helps.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:40 AM, Stratos said:

Iran is a big user of the AB-214, using it heavily during the war with Iraq, some armed, but specially as transport, insertion/extraction and as CSAR helicopter. Any chance of getting it?

I did not know of this version. Maybe at a later time, it requires a new turbine cover and exhaust.

Edited by rato65

Modified winch textures for the included skins (Armada and Bristow) + modfied and corrected description.lua...

AB-212-412_Winch.png

AB-212-412_Winch.rar

• Like 1

Regards / Grüße

Neo

-- Core i7 2600 @4,5 GHz | ASRock P67 Professional | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 2070 | SB X-Fi | 250 GB SSD + 1 GB SSD + 2 TB HD | WIN 10 Pro | TM Warthog | VPC WarBRD base | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip | WINWING F/A-18 H.O.T.A.S | MFG Crosswind | TIR5 | HELIOS --

8 minutes ago, Capybara said:

I am not able to get this mod to work, I put the contents into the appropriate saved games folders but I only see the liveries in game, not the actual changes to the uh-1h model.

Did you copy the content of the mods UnitPayloads folder (which is the file UH-1H.lua) into the SavedGames/DCS/MissionEditor/UniPayloads folder?

Edited by rato65

Hey rato65, what an awesome mod - since the DCS Huey feels a little abandoned at the moment your work is much appreciated!

Just one small wish:
Could you make a variant which just adds the nose without twin engine cosmetics?
That would represent the ‘Huey II’ which is basically an enhanced UH-1H.

Bell Huey II

1 hour ago, Capybara said:

Yes, I copied the lua file into the UnitPayloads folder, but it still doesn't work.

Did you choose one of the predefined loadouts? Before that you won't see anything...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capybara said:

Yes, I copied the lua file into the UnitPayloads folder, but it still doesn't work.

Do you see the list of payloads in ME? I had one time the strange issue that the loadout list was not updated. I closed the game, deleted the UH-1H.lua from the UnitPayloads. After deletion I copied it again, started and there it was. Other than that...I have not a clue at the moment.

2 hours ago, Rifter said:

Just one small wish:
Could you make a variant which just adds the nose without twin engine cosmetics?
That would represent the ‘Huey II’ which is basically an enhanced UH-1H.

Thank you!

I will check for the next udate. I was not aware of Bell's Huey II program - makes a lot of sense to include it.

Edited by rato65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very well done Volker! There were still a few small errors in the UH-1Hlua. Here is the adapted version!

Place the .lua into \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\MissionEditor\UnitPayloads

UH-1H.lua

• Like 2

Regards / Grüße

Neo

-- Core i7 2600 @4,5 GHz | ASRock P67 Professional | 16 GB RAM | GeForce RTX 2070 | SB X-Fi | 250 GB SSD + 1 GB SSD + 2 TB HD | WIN 10 Pro | TM Warthog | VPC WarBRD base | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip | WINWING F/A-18 H.O.T.A.S | MFG Crosswind | TIR5 | HELIOS --

10 hours ago, Neo47 said:

Very well done! There were still a few small errors in the UH-1Hlua. Here is the adapted version!

Place the .lua into \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\MissionEditor\UnitPayloads

First post updated!

Thanks Neo47. I found another error (Huey II cutters and pads was missing and a double loadout).
Cool idea to combine WTS and Powerline Worker with Cutters! I did not takeover the Flexcam with cutters, since the Flexcam can be used in combination with weapon loadouts.

I included both in the 1.0.2 package and made the changes available as separate UH-1H.lua in first post, for all of you who already downloaded v 1.0.2

Thanks again for the positive response and input from all of you,
cheers,

Rato65

Edited by rato65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be a great one if someone skilled might make a United Nations skin for the 212/412 🙂

• Like 1

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro