So I created a track file and benchmark 'procedure' to yield results that can be compared against each other.

I also created a YouTube video to demonstrate how I use it.

https://youtu.be/6y5n0uewpsE

The Track file and my bench mark results are all captured in 4K. The settings I used for all the benchmark runs are;

image.jpeg

This is a list of benchmarks run using the above setting and the track file in case anyone wants to compare results. Going to be curious when Vulkan arrives.

image.jpeg

Benchmark Run.trk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The programs, CapFrameX and RTTS do both work in VR - I don't see the overlay in VR but the benchmark data is collected.

Also track files do NOT control your view in VR, so you need to fly it yourself.

Thank you for the track and benchmarking procedure.  I tried your track but the plane crashed as soon as you selected the first weapons.It also didn't use your views in replay. It just sat inn the cockpit view.

Maybe we needs a track made with the latest version of the game.

I ran it anyway up to that point, butt I used 1440p resolution as it's my native resolution and the monitor can't do 4k.

The faster one is with the multithreading exe.

dddddd.png

sssss.png

NZXT-Phantom820; Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master:Ryzen 3950x Corsair H150i;AORUS GTX 1080 Ti 11G; 32GB(2x16)G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz(16-16-16-36); Aorus PCIe Gen4 m.2 NMVe 2TB SSD;Samsung EvoPlusM.2NMVe 1TB SSD;Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD: Coolermaster 1200W psu; CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45

Win10 64bit

Yes, the track file is broken with this patch. (sigh)

Two issues with I see;

#1 after launching the Kh-58U's at the SA-6 units they fail to loft and/ or track and just fly into the ground. - they are broken as well

#2 the AI fly's the Su-25T into the ground right after launching the Kh-58U.. 

I've re flown the mission with 4 Kh-25MPU and use them for the SEAD on the SA-6's but haven't uploaded the track yet. (need to record the views part) I'm curious to see the how it handles the MASSIVE carpet bombing on Nalchik. In ST mode pre patch the FPS dropped to 14 I believe - HEAVY GPU and CPU load.

Will upload it shortly, I will also put my monitor in 1440p and run it as well to compare. 

I tried to record a different track, with the new version, with Mirage F1 in a pretty heavy CAP+ Strike mission. That one was messed up too. In replay it all goes wrong and the plane just crashes very early.

I think .trk files are not capturing enough info to ensure repeatability, in replay. In Il-2 we used .NTRK files and those save more info and are more reliable.

I wish DCS team would make a benchmark mission, that everyone can try.

Something like that "Black death" in the original Il-2.

Edited by jawzzy
  • Like 2

NZXT-Phantom820; Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master:Ryzen 3950x Corsair H150i;AORUS GTX 1080 Ti 11G; 32GB(2x16)G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz(16-16-16-36); Aorus PCIe Gen4 m.2 NMVe 2TB SSD;Samsung EvoPlusM.2NMVe 1TB SSD;Crucial M4 128GB SSD+Crucial M4 256GB SSD: Coolermaster 1200W psu; CH Fighterstick+CH Pro pedals+Saitek X45

Win10 64bit

8 minutes ago, jawzzy said:

I wish DCS team would make a benchmark mission, that everyone can try.

Something like that "Black death" in the original Il-2.

100%, we need something that would actually work for us and dispense with the extra apps...

• Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

^ Same applies to DCS - multiplayer tracks contain more data and are kinda-sorta more reliable than singleplayer ones, which are meant to be compatible only with game version number they were recorded on, but often fail even at that.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Is there a way to run and replay a .trk file from the command line (and maybe even install DCS World from a CLI?) ? If so then it could be useful to add DCS World to the Phoronix Test Suite (https://github.com/phoronix-test-suite/phoronix-test-suite), which would then show up on https://openbenchmarking.org/. Would be way easier to compare results with the latter, which provides nice graphs, than trying to compare forum posts here. Would also be very interesting and unbiased to check FPS gains (or losses) with the new MT support through PTS, for instance.

(And would be free advertisment for DCS, if it showed up on PTS + Openbenchmarking.org.)

SW, OS: Linux / Debian Sid -- VR: Monado (OpenXR) -- Launcher: Lutris -- Runner: Wine lutris-GE-Proton7-39-x86_64

HW, base/laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T14s AMD Gen3 (AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U, AMD/ATI Radeon 680M iGPU (for DCS usually unused), 32GB RAM, Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB) + eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD/ATI Radeon RX 6650 XT 8GB; HOTAS: Logitech x-56, VR: HP Reverb G2

DCS Modules, Planes+Helicopters: F-14, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, UH-1H -- Maps: Nevada, Syria, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, The Channel -- Other Modules: FC3, Combined Arms, Supercarrier, WWII Assets Pack

1st "DCS" experience: Lock-On, later +FC1

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

sorry for the noob question, I couldn't find the controls to record track files during gameplay, I would like to make my own trackfile for benchmarking in VR and I want to do in one of the campaigns I'm playing (as there are plenty of units and stuff that loads up) to get a more realistic result; does anyone know how to start and stop a track file? I know that the game starts recording at mission start, but I'd like to skip all the initial intro and taxing phase and concentrate on a single part of the mission to record and use for benchmarking after (I'm using msi afterburner with rivatuner, it works very nicely)

thank you!

intel i7-12700 / Windows 10 PRO / MSI Z690 / 32GB DDR4-3600 at CL16 / Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB / Kingston M2. SSD 2TB NVme.

-VR ONLY- with Oculus Quest 2 / wireless airlink / WinWing Hotas F18

- real world pilot -

• 2 months later...

Using a track for a benchmark might seem like a good idea but that feature has been broken for years. So since you won’t get reliable replays, there’s no point in doing this. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

7 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Using a track for a benchmark might seem like a good idea but that feature has been broken for years. So since you won’t get reliable replays, there’s no point in doing this. 

That's not what I meant. Right now there is no way for me to tell which benchmarks in the CPX capture list were ran using ST and which ones were run using MT version of DCS.

Even manually viewing the JSON files I can tell they don't contain the executable file path.

36 minutes ago, Bucic said:

That's not what I meant. Right now there is no way for me to tell which benchmarks in the CPX capture list were ran using ST and which ones were run using MT version of DCS.

Even manually viewing the JSON files I can tell they don't contain the executable file path.

Well but even if you could, the tracks won’t repeat accurately. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 minutes ago, Bucic said:

For my purposes, they don't have to.

I would assume if you want accurate benchmarks all the replays of the track need to be identical. In DCS that’s pretty much a lost cause. 

29 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I would assume if you want accurate benchmarks all the replays of the track need to be identical. In DCS that’s pretty much a lost cause. 

I can extract meaningful information from a 60 second part of a single graph in MSI Afterburner. Rest assured I can do a lot more with what CapFrameX offers. To put it simply, no, two benchmark sessions do not have to be identical to be meaningful, especially with statistical metrics.

As for CapFrameX  I have to rely on comments which is really cumbersome.