Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

SteamVR causing crash on startup

Btw. Its here too 

Screenshot 2023-01-27 223137.png

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• ED Team
1 hour ago, YoYo said:

(notice only that non english menu) Shortcut:

image.png

this shortcut is wrong, you have an extra " at the end of the line

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Just now, Dannyvandelft said:

Got it working but it crashes. a6e774e562c7695cdd02e083537a67bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

please attach the dcs log it might have clues

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Convoy said:

please try this 

C:\Users\13304\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

rename the DCS.openbeta to DCS.openbetabackup ( keep it as a backup )

run a slow repair of the DCS install 

after restart dcs and redo settings to test, note it will take longer to load first time while creating shaders 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

this shortcut is wrong, you have an extra " at the end of the line

Yes I noticed it :thumbsup:too, I've inserted and deleted many times so maybe something left at the end but it didn't affect it, it was always CTD/freez with SteamVR with " or without at the end.

New log CTD included.

dcs.log dcs.20230311-172010.dmp

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

please try this 

C:\Users\13304\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

rename the DCS.openbeta to DCS.openbetabackup ( keep it as a backup )

run a slow repair of the DCS install 

after restart dcs and redo settings to test, note it will take longer to load first time while creating shaders 

same thing, crashes at 14%

dcs.log-20230311-172459.zip

• Like 1

I can't get MT to launch using steam VR. It will launch in VR without steam but performance is very bad with constant stutters. When I try --force_steam_VR DCS will crash on startup. Have attempted slow repair and rebuilt saved games folder.

Specs: Ryzen 3900X 12 Core/24Thread, Radeon 6900XT, 32GB Ram, M.2SSD, Reverb G2

Running DCS standalone with Steam VR.

Logs attached

dcs.log dcs.log-20230311-181907.zip

Edited by Younggun
Adding information

Yes I noticed it too, I've inserted and deleted many times so maybe something left at the end but it didn't affect it, it was always CTD/freez with SteamVR with " or without at the end.
New log CTD included.

dcs.log dcs.20230311-172010.dmp
Fixed it. Do this on SteamVR, then run the DCS-MT path WITHOUT the forced path.

Works perfectly. No flickering. a35897fde57d86ad4c32f9c4c8004136.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Fixed it. Do this on SteamVR, then run the DCS-MT path WITHOUT the forced path....

Here we dont talk about OpenXR. OpenXR works without any issue from the beginning by self or by forced in SteamVR, its nothing new here 🙂. OpenXR works with MT version from the beginning. The problem is native SteamVR (so different runtime than OpenXR) & DCS MT, so without the redirection you are talking about. Of course, you can force SteamVR to work with OpenXR, but that's not the point here 😉. DCS MT works for me without a problem with Open XR and without SteamVR.

We talk about OpenVR, dedicated API for SteamVR and for Single Core OB of DCS (without tweaks). Some people prefer OpenXR (for example I dont like motion reprojection here, it has more, a lot, visible ghosting than SteamVR’s OpenVR), some prefer OpenVR, each has its pluses and minuses here and none is perfect.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

It seems there's a problem with OpenVR and mt build, and I'm also seeing similar issues when forcing OpenVR.  Perhaps OpenVR is not optimized for multi-threading operation?

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

7 hours ago, Supmua said:

It seems there's a problem with OpenVR and mt build, and I'm also seeing similar issues when forcing OpenVR.  Perhaps OpenVR is not optimized for multi-threading operation?

No, it could work, I think DCS MT has wrong path or maybe does someting wrong during fireing up. The result is freez for us. Notice that it wasnt in „known issue” for MT version also, so I soppose that it’s surprice for someone ;).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I have been able to force standalone DCS to run in SteamVR for WMR headsets by forcing SteamVR as runtime, and disabling OXR using the OXR toolkit app. I have not needed to add the command lines to the MT  .exe shortcut. When starting DCS, it is important to not to press the "fix it" option that appears in WMR because that will set the runtime back to Windows Mixed Reality OXR and cause CTDs again.

Edit: Set SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime instead of Windows Mixed Reality OXR by default. This stops the CTD. This also allows you to continue using SteamVR's motion smoothing over OXR's reprojection.

image.png

Edited by July

1 hour ago, July said:

I have been able to force standalone DCS to run in SteamVR for WMR headsets by forcing SteamVR as runtime, and disabling OXR using the OXR toolkit app. I have not needed to add the command lines to the MT  .exe shortcut. When starting DCS, it is important to not to press the "fix it" option that appears in WMR because that will set the runtime back to OXR and cause CTDs again.

By Toolkit? Toolkit works only in OpenXR 3D environment, so how?

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

24 minutes ago, YoYo said:

By Toolkit? Toolkit works only in OpenXR 3D environment, so how?

The main fix here is to force SteamVR as the OXR runtime. I'll correct myself and clarify that I disable the toolkit based on preference. It is actually not needed.

image.png

image.png

Attempting to run MT DCS with the command line --force_enable_VR --force_steam_VR without setting SteamVR as the OXR runtime causes CTD for me.

Edit: I will also add that while this allows you to use SteamVR motion smoothing, due to compatibility problems with OXR, reshade and VRPerfKit don't seem to work (OXR toolkit does add built-in options for post-processing similar to reshade, and options that nearly mirror VRPerfKit, NiS, FSR, AMD CAS, and foveated rendering are available)

Edited by July
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, July said:

The main fix here is to force SteamVR as the OXR runtime. I'll correct myself and clarify that I disable the toolkit based on preference. It is actually not needed.

Attempting to run MT DCS with the command line --force_enable_VR --force_steam_VR without setting SteamVR as the OXR runtime causes CTD for me.

On this screen you have release OpenXR by SteamVR, so it doesnt work for you. 

This is default version, here we talk about OpenVR, not OpenXR. No issue with OpenXR from the beginning giving it by SteamVR or shortcut entries.

Not everyone wants or can use OpenXR.

cabad6fddb2d5cb2d4cd98f29bebfdeb943ec4e5

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

1 minute ago, YoYo said:

On this screen you have release OpenXR by SteamVR, so it doesnt work for you. 

This is default version, here we talk about OpenVR, not OpenXR. No issue with OpenXR from the beginning.

cabad6fddb2d5cb2d4cd98f29bebfdeb943ec4e5

Ok, I misunderstood. I can't help you with OpenVR, but for WMR headsets, this is how to stop CTD on the MT client when trying to use SteamVR.

1 minute ago, July said:

Ok, I misunderstood. I can't help you with OpenVR, but for WMR headsets, this is how to stop CTD on the MT client when trying to use SteamVR.

Yes, this is an issue for all :).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

4 hours ago, July said:

This isn't really a fix, more like a workaround to the issue. DCS keeps using OXR API, so it's not crashing. You're simply not using the part of DCS that's broken. But then SteamVR is set as OXR runtime, so is handling all the calls and passing them further along.

Mods like reshade and vrperfkit still won't work as they need the game to talk to SteamVR directly using OpenVR, not OpenXR. Last time I checked, setting your system like that also causes some performance penalty as compared to directly enabling SteamVR support in DCS. But you can't do the latter in DCS-MT, the game will crash on startup.

That's the main issue reported here.

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 hours ago, some1 said:

This isn't really a fix, more like a workaround to the issue. DCS keeps using OXR API, so it's not crashing. You're simply not using the part of DCS that's broken. But then SteamVR is set as OXR runtime, so is handling all the calls and passing them further along.

Mods like reshade and vrperfkit still won't work as they need the game to talk to SteamVR directly using OpenVR, not OpenXR. Last time I checked, setting your system like that also causes some performance penalty as compared to directly enabling SteamVR support in DCS. But you can't do the latter in DCS-MT, the game will crash on startup.

That's the main issue reported here.

So if I'm understanding correctly, headsets that run natively on OpenVR are getting CTDs because the new MT client is forcing OXR as the API? Whatever our runtime is set to shouldn't matter since the API will always be OXR now? Does that mean headsets like the Index and Vive running native OpenVR should theoretically not work on the MT client because OXR is now default in MT DCS? Is what's being said in this thread that OXR is the only functioning API?

Edited by July

They still work, just through OpenXR layer. I guess for those headsets SteamVR is the default OXR runtime anyway.

• Like 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

13 minutes ago, some1 said:

They still work, just through OpenXR layer. I guess for those headsets SteamVR is the default OXR runtime anyway.

I see. What's the core issue here if people have to switch to OXR API and a compatible runtime for whatever headset they are using? Is it that there are still headsets without OXR compatible runtimes? In that case, yes restoring other API support is needed and was left out of the MT client.

Edited by July