End of early access?

dandebo

5 hours ago, dandebo said:

So coming up on 5 years no actual full release date?

That's crazy

Sure, but honestly what will change when they go to full release?  They are slowly working to add final features and tweak things.  Yes, it would be great if that could magically happen instantly, but that not realistic.  Be thankful they keep working on it and improving it (beyond what people feel they were "promised" when it first came out).

On 3/19/2023 at 11:05 AM, dandebo said:

That's crazy

Why? Are you in a hurry?

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

On 3/20/2023 at 9:46 AM, Shimmergloom667 said:

Why? Are you in a hurry?

To receive a product paid for a half decade ago? Such a rush amirite?  But I guess when it takes 2 years to get a radio, you might have a point. 

On 3/19/2023 at 11:01 AM, rob10 said:

Sure, but honestly what will change when they go to full release?  They are slowly working to add final features and tweak things.  Yes, it would be great if that could magically happen instantly, but that not realistic.  Be thankful they keep working on it and improving it (beyond what people feel they were "promised" when it first came out).

Be thankful they continue to work on an undelivered product that they accepted payment for in the promise of completing the project?  Wooph...

Edited by Thump
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, freehand said:

I hope it never ends I like the constant features add all the time. 

You do realize they are simply delivering on what they promised right?  This isn't a live service game (by design).

Edited by Thump

6 hours ago, Thump said:

To receive a product paid for a half decade ago? Such a rush amirite?  But I guess when it takes 2 years to get a radio, you might have a point.

Why should "half a decade" be an unreasonable amount of time for the production of this complex niche product? Which other, faster, combat flight sims do you compare it to and what is the basis of your complaint?

Edited by Shimmergloom667

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

13 hours ago, freehand said:

Not even sure what they promised I have had my monies worth 10 times over with module.

Which isn't the point. 

9 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

Why should "half a decade" be an unreasonable amount of time for the production of this complex niche product? Which other, faster, combat flight sims do you compare it to and what is the basis of your complaint?

Simply because there isn't another competitor doesn't mean it's a reasonable amount of time.  With that logic, you could say 100 years is OK for a single module because the nearest competitor is BMS.  It also doesn't help that they released the Viper saying it wouldn't negatively impact the Hornet, and it did.  So, logically, it would have taken less time and possibly have been released by now.  The basis for "my" complaint, is based on the fact that they didn't give an expected timespan and so I get to decide what is too long.

Edited by Thump
  • Like 1

• ED Team
42 minutes ago, Thump said:

Simply because there isn't another competitor doesn't mean it's a reasonable amount of time.

You can not be happy about the amount of time it takes us to do these modules, that is fair and that is your opinion. We will not tell you what you should think is too long or not. That said, the lack of competitors has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Perhaps if you look at it, the lack of competitors is because the length of time and complexity of development is so huge that a company like ED is hard to come by. This is leaving out all the valid delays that have happened over the last few years that were out of our control.

So yes, you can say it's taking too long for you, but the suggestion we are dragging our feet because we can and want to is simply not fair and not true. 

Thanks

• Like 8

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

1 hour ago, Thump said:

Which isn't the point. 

Simply because there isn't another competitor doesn't mean it's a reasonable amount of time.  With that logic, you could say 100 years is OK for a single module because the nearest competitor is BMS.  It also doesn't help that they released the Viper saying it wouldn't negatively impact the Hornet, and it did.  So, logically, it would have taken less time and possibly have been released by now.  The basis for "my" complaint, is based on the fact that they didn't give an expected timespan and so I get to decide what is too long.

Let's imagine it dont be written as "early access". and say final so every little modification up will come as update, DLC or whatever ( dont paid update ) As all games do, you will like it better ? I think you put too much weight in the " early access phrase". My humble opinion

Edited by Lane
  • Like 2

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

1 hour ago, Thump said:

Which isn't the point. 

Of course that is a point - how will you be able to judge what is a "reasonable amount of time" when you have nothing to compare it to? And you can't even say for sure it slowed down due to the Viper since you know exactly nothing about their inner workings. It may as well have sped up various things during development since these modules profit from similar systemolgy.

Since they didn't give any sort of timeframe: it is absolutely fine as it is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NineLine said:

You can not be happy about the amount of time it takes us to do these modules, that is fair and that is your opinion. We will not tell you what you should think is too long or not. That said, the lack of competitors has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Perhaps if you look at it, the lack of competitors is because the length of time and complexity of development is so huge that a company like ED is hard to come by. This is leaving out all the valid delays that have happened over the last few years that were out of our control.

So yes, you can say it's taking too long for you, but the suggestion we are dragging our feet because we can and want to is simply not fair and not true. 

Thanks

That wasn't my point and I did not say that you were dragging your feet.  My point was that 5 years is nothing to scoff at as it relates to those responding to the OP. And, while you personally may not be telling me what I "should think" (again, not my thread) about the timespan, Shimmergloom very much did and I was directly addressing his question.  He is the one who brought up the lack of competitors (that which shall not be named not withstanding), so you might want to address that aspect with Shimmer.  The only thing that I pointed out as one (1) reason for the slower than initially planned development of the Hornet, as addressed by ED about a couple of years ago, was the Viper's release and the reprioritization of assets to make that module playable.

Thanks

Edited by Thump

2 hours ago, Lane said:

Let's imagine it dont be written as "early access". and say final so every little modification up will come as update, DLC or whatever ( dont paid update ) As all games do, you will like it better ? I think you put too much weight in the " early access phrase". My humble opinion

#1 Not my thread

#2 Removing the EA title for the Hornet before they actually delivered on the product is exactly ED tried to do before the community (to include myself) rejected that as acceptable.  I'd have to dig through the great annuls of ED forum histories to find it, and frankly don't care that much to spend the time but it should still be there.

2 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

Of course that is a point - how will you be able to judge what is a "reasonable amount of time" when you have nothing to compare it to? And you can't even say for sure it slowed down due to the Viper since you know exactly nothing about their inner workings. It may as well have sped up various things during development since these modules profit from similar systemolgy.

Since they didn't give any sort of timeframe: it is absolutely fine as it is.

They literally posted it on their on forums that the Viper (unexpectedly) impacted the Hornet.  I'd have to do some digging as it is YEARS in the past, but ED were the ones who said that the Hornet was put on the backburner while they got the Viper caught up (paraphrasing, but it's close enough for government work).

The timeframe being "absolutely fine as is" is your *subective* opinion as much as it is the OP's (again, not my thread) *subjective* opinion that is it not.

• Like 1

• ED Team
37 minutes ago, Thump said:

That wasn't my point and I did not say that you were dragging your feet.  My point was that 5 years is nothing to scoff at as it relates to those responding to the OP. And, while you personally may not be telling me what I "should think" (again, not my thread) about the timespan, Shimmergloom very much did and I was directly addressing his question.  He is the one who brought up the lack of competitors (that which shall not be named not withstanding), so you might want to address that aspect with Shimmer.  The only thing that I pointed out as one (1) reason for the slower than initially planned development of the Hornet, as addressed by ED about a couple of years ago, was the Viper's release and the reprioritization of assets to make that module playable.

Thanks

I apologize if I misunderstood or took the comment about the lack of competition as an assumption that we had a lack of urgency. And yes I replied to you, but it's for all taking part in this thread. There are 2 important reasons we do Early Access.

1) Development time of modules is long, very long. Even 3rd Party modules that come out near complete were in years of development before this. If we told you that the Hornet was coming back when we originally released it and waited till now to release it, sure it would have been a much more complete and enjoyable release, but you would have lost many years of playtime and many people have enjoyed the journey from 1st release till now.

2) It funds development and Eagle Dynamics as a whole. To keep the core free, and major upgrades like Multi-threading free, we need to supplement that with module releases. The only way we could have continued to improve the core, add new team members, develop new modules etc is with income. If we waited till every module was near complete, we would not be able to sustain what we do now. This was brought up by Nick Grey before. I would argue while some may think this is wrong, I would say 99.9% of users would rather have had the journey they had on the Hornet or other modules than wait 5+ years for a 90% complete release. 

And about your comment, about the Hornet and Viper issues. Had we left the Viper in the state it was on release and continued normal development it would not have impacted the Hornet at all. The fact was we made a mistake in releasing it a little too soon, and to make it right with our customers we had some of the Hornet team help out. This impact on the Hornet was not major and in the grand scheme of things did not slow it much. In fact, around that time new people were coming on board and the pace picked up again once they were trained and up to speed. 

20 hours ago, Thump said:

Be thankful they continue to work on an undelivered product that they accepted payment for in the promise of completing the project?  Wooph...

We are thankful that people have chosen to support us over this time and continue to support us with new modules and products. We know not every patch or update has been perfect or moved us forward as much as we like or you all would like, but we are determined to deliver the most authentic and realistic experience possible and make sure these modules bring joy and entertainment to our customers for many many more years than the past 5 years in develoment. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

12 hours ago, Thump said:

#1 Not my thread

#2 Removing the EA title for the Hornet before they actually delivered on the product is exactly ED tried to do before the community (to include myself) rejected that as acceptable.  I'd have to dig through the great annuls of ED forum histories to find it, and frankly don't care that much to spend the time but it should still be there.

They literally posted it on their on forums that the Viper (unexpectedly) impacted the Hornet.  I'd have to do some digging as it is YEARS in the past, but ED were the ones who said that the Hornet was put on the backburner while they got the Viper caught up (paraphrasing, but it's close enough for government work).

The timeframe being "absolutely fine as is" is your *subective* opinion as much as it is the OP's (again, not my thread) *subjective* opinion that is it not.

If you want i can cross the street here and go talk directly to them about you think, their office is just at 5 minute of my home In Lausanne Switzerland. 

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

• 4 weeks later...