Next Level Racing Boeing Military simulator seat

MA_Goblin

Hi everyone,

Just want to give my view on my new simulator seat that I bought to replace my home built "wooden wonder" after many years of use.

I was impressed with the images and initial reviews of the NLR Boeing military edition that I could find and decided to order one.
Since I live in Sweden both initial price and shipping cost cannot be called cheap in any way 🤣 however I was betting on the quality matching cost.

I will not make a long assembly review since there is those to be found on YouTube.
The package is LARGE and HEAVY though so it's definitely a two man job to haul it to where the build will take place.

The manual is excellent, the quality and finish equally great so I was not disappointed at all with this.
Assembly takes about 4 hours and then be prepared to fiddle for a couple of days in order to find the best location for Your accessories.
It is NOT made for changing mounting places very often, measure twice mount once! That is my recommendation 🤪

The assembled seat is sturdy, comfortable (I'm 175 cm above sea level) and the adjustment possibilities are great, at least for my accessories.

Two thing that is slightly negative are:
In order to get the VPC CM2 base and handle with a 200mm extension to fit I had to fabricate an adapter and drill some holes in the one that came with the seat to mount it. It works great but requires some tools and time.
In order to mount the MFG pedals I had to drill holes in the pedal-plate since the mounting holes existing did not fit.

All in all for me two minor inconveniences.

I highly recommend this seat, both for quality, adjustment possibilities and comfort.
https://nextlevelracing.com/products/boeing-combat-flight-simulator/

PXL_20230401_072048072.jpg

PXL_20230401_072118034.jpg

PXL_20230401_072146484.jpg

PXL_20230401_101110714.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

I have a very similar seat from NLR in my cockpit and found the seat base to be too close to flat, resulting in it becoming uncomfortable after a couple of hours. A wooden wedge between the seat pan and cushions made a big difference.

I later fitted a Martin Baker seat box which is aggressively contoured and now it's excellent.

Edited by Scott-S6

Just now, No1sonuk said:

Did you send feedback to NLR about the mods you needed to do?

MFG pedals are a common thing. I'm surprised the plate wasn't compatible. 

I will do so

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

The NLR seat looks very nice and I‘d be interested in it.

Biggest problem I see as well is the uncomfortable center mount.

I‘d have to integrate a stick with a 400mm extension for use as helocyclic. But this seems not easy to assemble to the seat base.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

9 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

I have a very similar seat from NLR in my cockpit and found the seat base to be too close to flat, resulting in it becoming uncomfortable after a couple of hours. A wooden wedge between the seat pan and cushions made a big difference.

I later fitted a Martin Baker seat box which is aggressively contoured and now it's excellent.

Screen shots?

Sempre Fortis

13 hours ago, _Hoss said:

Screen shots?

This is the seat as it is now, I can't find any pics of the intermediate state where I'd shortened the pan and put a wooden contour between the pan and cushions. (the odd texture on the cushion is from the hexagonal gel filler - very comfy)

PXL_20230402_095328337.jpg

PXL_20230402_095337468.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at this but the very narrow range of options for the pedals and stick mount turn me off.  That, and the very uncomfortable looking seat.  When I spend $1,100 CAD on something, I had better not have to 'drill holes' and 'fabricate' anything to make things work.  I have Crosswind pedals and a VKB Gladiator NXT stick, but it doesn't look as though either will work with this out of the box.  What were they thinking designing it like this?  They just assumed that everyone has a TM Warthog and/or plays nothing but MSFS? 

EDIT: I watched a video and see that there is a 'plate' for a right-hand joystick mount where the mouse sits, and Crosswind is mentioned as supported hardware, so I assume my pedals would have mounting holes.  

Question:  does this come with a mouse pad?  I see a 'thin' one in the video beside where the joystick would mount.  Does it also come with a lumbar support?  Several Amazon reviews said it did not come with these, yet it says they are included on the Next Level site.

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

4 hours ago, _Hoss said:

Yeah, I wish life were that easy, one size fits all for every application. That would be awesome...... yep.....:thumbup:

Cheers

It looks pretty close actually after watching a few more review videos.  I see that it does come with a custom KB and mouse pad, and the lumbar support.  I also see that I would be able to attach my racing wheel and pedals with the front support tray, so it's now on my list for purchase in the fall when I get back inside the house for our extremely cold winters.  This is the first thing I've seen that can replace my very robust home-built rolling wood/mdf 'cockpit' for a reasonable price and footprint.

I'd say we can all probably thank MSFS (that I don't own) for the decent hardware that's starting to appear for flight sims (i.e. this and the HF8 seat pad).

The only thing that nobody has addressed is the ability to mount a collective stick on the side, although somebody will figure it out soon enough and post a video I'm sure.

Also, my bad, I missed that the OP has the Crosswind pedals installed...😳

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my completed Simpit

NLR Simpit.jpg

• Like 4

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

On 6/8/2023 at 2:05 AM, MustangSally said:

Here's my completed Simpit

NLR Simpit.jpg

nicely done sir.
how did you modify WW takeoff panel knobs to gray?
does the collective arm interfere when using the throttle?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

1 hour ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

nicely done sir.
how did you modify WW takeoff panel knobs to gray?
does the collective arm interfere when using the throttle?

I've since re-positioned it along with lowering the center stick mount. The knobs are 3d printed

null

image.png

5 hours ago, _Hoss said:

Glad I didn't buy the first version.

Nothing wrong withe mine....in fact it works perfectly and I think looks so much better. Oh and btw it's a totally different rig and not a new version!!

Edited by MustangSally

On 6/10/2023 at 7:28 AM, MustangSally said:

Nothing wrong withe mine....in fact it works perfectly and I think looks so much better. Oh and btw it's a totally different rig and not a new version!!

well the fact that a company like that keeps releasing flight sim products is very positive for us customers and I am certain will attract more people to the flight sim community, excellent news

• Like 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

6 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

well the fact that a company like that keeps releasing flight sim products is very positive for us customers and I am certain will attract more people to the flight sim community, excellent news

It's also great that they are an Australian company that are only a short distance down the road from me.

On 6/10/2023 at 6:28 AM, MustangSally said:

Very different price point as well. ~50% more than the boeing rig and triple the price of the F-GT (in the UK).

Options are good things.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 1:38 AM, Scott-S6 said:

Very different price point as well. ~50% more than the boeing rig and triple the price of the F-GT (in the UK).

Options are good things.

The new NLR setup is actually broken down into 2 pieces that don't need to be purchased together. If you want to use your desk or don't need the flight stand than you don't need to purchase it. The new pit is a better option for DCS users who want a center mounted stick with an extension since the center mount on the new offering has more height/etc.. options. That was a big downside to the original NLR pit and one of the main "issues" pointed out in feedback. So, is it a new version? Not really...but it is improved in some ways over what was released before. For centrally mounted stick users who prefer to use a 200mm extension I would 100% buy this over the other NLR simpit (unless you just want to fabricate something). Both the new and less-new NLR pits are great options though. Additionally, you can now purchase the seat by itself if you already have a simpit and just want the seat alone. 🙂

Having said all that, if somebody is in the market for a Simpit that won't break the bank and has expandability, I'd check out the offering from Simfab. It's cheap, gets the job done, has quite a few expandability options and leaves a smaller footprint.

Btw, does anybody know the distance between the mounting rails on their Boeing seat in cm or MM (preferably MM)? Thinking about getting one for my Monstertech pit.

Edited by JG27_Arklight
  • Like 1

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 8:02 AM, JG27_Arklight said:

🙂does anybody know the distance between the mounting rails on their Boeing seat in cm or MM (preferably MM)? Thinking about getting one for my Monstertech pit.

Distance between the mounting rails are 355 mm, center to center.

• Thanks 2

Ryzen 7 5800X - RTX 3080 - G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 32GB - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 1TB - Corsair RM850x - 27 inch monitor - Noctua NH-D15 - Win 10

VKB Gunfighter Mk III - VKB KG 12 grip - Virpil CM3 Throttle - Virpil KA-50 panel - Thrustmaster TPR - Reverb G2 V2

NLR Boeing Military Edition Simpit

Viggen - F86 Sabre - Mig 15 - A 10 C II - FC 3 - Mosquito - P 47D - Spitfire - FW 190 A - Me 109

Syria - Normandy 2 - The Channel

On 6/29/2023 at 1:58 PM, Customizer171 said:

Distance between the mounting rails are 355 mm, center to center.

Thanks!

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Yikes the seats on these rigs seem like really cheap foam Chinese gamer seats from Alibaba. I think when I built my setup I will use a high quality automotive seat. 

• Like 2

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

On 7/8/2023 at 4:18 AM, Callsign.Vega said:

Yikes the seats on these rigs seem like really cheap foam Chinese gamer seats from Alibaba. I think when I built my setup I will use a high quality automotive seat. 

Having pulled apart the cushions to try and improve them I can say it's not the foam that is the problem. It is a decent dense foam, not the terrible stuff that squashes flat with no effort. There are other problems with the design of the seat...