DCS tested with the Pimax Crystal

winghunter

Pimax Crystal - What is the software like?

Edited by Air Joker

Lurchi1.pngAH-64D Apache***A10 Tank Killer***F-14 Tomcat***F-16 Viper***F/A-18C Hornet***UH-1H Huey***Mi-24P Hind***P-51D Mustang***Mosquito FB Mk.VI***BF109 K4 Kurfürst***Supercarrier***WW2 Assets Pack***Maps of Caucasus / Marianas / Syria / Gulf / Nevada / Channel / Normandy 2.0 / South Atlantic / Sinai***
Intel Core i9-13900KF***Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC***64GB RAM***Pimax Crystal***WinWing Super-Libra mit F-16Ex+TM Warthog Throttle+TM TPR Rudder/Pedals****

13 hours ago, winghunter said:

At 10:10 theres "Smart Smoothing" which sounds like MR from the description, aka frame interpolation

It is the Pimax version of reprojection.  It will kick in only if your FPS drops below your HMD's refresh rate.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, THE AMAZING PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/15E/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

6 hours ago, WipeUout said:

It is the Pimax version of reprojection.  It will kick in only if your FPS drops below your HMD's refresh rate.

"If" your FPS drops below you HMD's refresh rate, sheesh man, you rockin a 7090!

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

11 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

"If" your FPS drops below you HMD's refresh rate, sheesh man, you rockin a 7090!

Ok, a little more explanation:  Say your HMD is set at 90hz, this means that in order to have a smooth video, you need your system to pump more than 90 frames per seconds.  If your system can't keep up and your FPS drops below 90, then you get stutters.  MR or reprojection or smart smoothing, whatever it is called by your HMD maker, will insert frames to ensure the FPS never droppes below 90 using different techniques to predict how the next frame should look like if dropped because to system can't keep up.

If you are a time traveler and have a 7090, then you absolutely don't need MR anyway.😉   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, THE AMAZING PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/15E/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

19 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

The Crystal has about the same number of total pixels as an 8kx. With a 4080/4090 and the MT build it is very possible to achieve a steady 90fps with the 8kx and optimized settings. 60fps is easy even with most everything cranked up. 

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

21 hours ago, WipeUout said:

Ok, a little more explanation:  Say your HMD is set at 90hz, this means that in order to have a smooth video, you need your system to pump more than 90 frames per seconds.  If your system can't keep up and your FPS drops below 90, then you get stutters.  MR or reprojection or smart smoothing, whatever it is called by your HMD maker, will insert frames to ensure the FPS never droppes below 90 using different techniques to predict how the next frame should look like if dropped because to system can't keep up.

If you are a time traveler and have a 7090, then you absolutely don't need MR anyway.😉   

Ok so you're talking about a solid 45 fps with Aero's MR on. I was under the understanding that you were getting 90fps with it off. All good, how is the MR in the Aero? I know it wasn't that long ago that it was introduced.

I have't ruled out the Aero but I'm interested to see how the first impressions of this Crystal are as it looks pretty good to me.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

17 hours ago, ackattacker said:

The Crystal has about the same number of total pixels as an 8kx. With a 4080/4090 and the MT build it is very possible to achieve a steady 90fps with the 8kx and optimized settings. 60fps is easy even with most everything cranked up. 

Agree, same workload for both HMD.  90 FPS is achievable with the 8kX but you have to compromise on MSAA which is for me not a big problem with the resolution.  Agree about the 60hz also but not everyone can sim at that refresh rate, I personaly can but not for prolong hours.  The 60hz is also not available to all models of 8KX, only the first version has it.

I also expect the crystal to perform better given the dynamic foveated rendering.  My only worry is the trade off of FOV for clarity, is it going to be acceptable?  I find that large FOV is such a critical feature to immersion.  We'll see.

I've been very frustrated with the lack of showing any settings for all these YouTubers showing the Crystal. As far as I'm concerned any statements about performance are worthless in the absence of:

1) DCS settings

2) Whether it's the multithreaded version 

3) Hardware specs

And yet no one so far that I've seen has shown all three of these things. 

Edited by Gorn557
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gorn557 said:

I've been very frustrated with the lack of showing any settings for all these YouTubers showing the Crystal. As far as I'm concerned any statements are performance are worthless in the absence of:

1) DCS settings

2) Whether it's the multithreaded version 

3) Hardware specs

And yet no one so far that I've seen has shown all three of these things. 

Going to have to wait for reports from real world users rather than these so called youtube reviewers. The way Pimax drips these things out it may be a while.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The paid "Youtube Reviewers" take on anything...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I got my Crystal on saturday but haven´t had much time playing DCS. The headset did not come with glas lenses (only one set of plastic lenses) but the supplier said they would be send later. Till now I was using a G2 and the picture is compared to the G2 a little bit sharper, but from edge to edge and not only in the middle. The colors are way better than the G2. I found it way easier to spot and track planes in the distance. I allways had the problem that as soon as a plane changed from dot to a rendered object I lost contact or could barley see it. This is way better on the Crystal.

Performance:

I have only tested openxr with my default G2 dcs settings and the Crystal default resolution result in 25 fps with a 4090. Changing the resolution in openxr to something like the 100% resolution of the G2 and turning on turbo mode in openxr will get me 90 fps above the clouds. But as soon as this drops below 90fps I get an effect like you get without vsync but vertical not horizontal. At the moment I have no Idea how to get rid of it. I haven´t tested what happens if I change the number of "pre rendered frames" in the nvidia settings. Maybe the other pimax users have an idea.

Greetings

Merlin 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol that guy working it hard for Pimax!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 hours ago, dburne said:

$$$

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

12 hours ago, dburne said:

He has those referral codes to peddle don't forget.

He said in the comments of one of his videos that he tried the Quest Pro but didnt like it. I guess they wouldnt give him any referral codes.

Edited by BazzaLB
  • Like 1

OK I did some more testing. I find it hard to get a smooth head movement. The settings from this youtube guy may work if you are able to get constant 90 frames but everyone who has ever played knows that that is impossible in dcs. I got the best result if I disable this stupid Turbo Mode. As soon as the framerate drops below 90 stutters are awfull, even worse than below 45 frames in the g2. I get best result if I limit the framerate to 46 fps and force motion repojection. At the moment I would say... Realy great picture but a headset ist more then just screens.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Merlin_VFA34 said:

I got the best result if I disable this stupid Turbo Mode

Any reason for this unwarranted adjective?

You're more than encouraged to participate to the development of the tool. It's open source. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

• Like 9

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

16 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Any reason for this unwarranted adjective?

You're more than encouraged to participate to the development of the tool. It's open source. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

sorry you are right. The turbo mode is not stupid. The thing is that you can not use it for DCS because it is impossible to get stable 90 fps. And as soon as the framerate drops below 90 it feels worse than below 45 frames in the G2. If the head movement isn´t fluent I get sick very fast. At the moment I have no idea why things are so different between wmr and a pimax headset. An other thing is that if you move the headset a little bit up and down you bend the picture up and down... don´t know how descripe the effect. Maybe that changes with glas lenses but who knows

3 hours ago, Merlin_VFA34 said:

sorry you are right. The turbo mode is not stupid. The thing is that you can not use it for DCS because it is impossible to get stable 90 fps. And as soon as the framerate drops below 90 it feels worse than below 45 frames in the G2. If the head movement isn´t fluent I get sick very fast. At the moment I have no idea why things are so different between wmr and a pimax headset. An other thing is that if you move the headset a little bit up and down you bend the picture up and down... don´t know how descripe the effect. Maybe that changes with glas lenses but who knows

Sounds more like a headset issue than a software one.

I run my Aero in Turbo mode with good results.

• Like 1

Don B

6 hours ago, dburne said:

Sounds more like a headset issue than a software one.

you mean the picture that bends up and down?

6 hours ago, dburne said:

I run my Aero in Turbo mode with good results.

Will your fps stay at 90 or is below 90 just playable for you? Can I get your openxr settings?

5 hours ago, Merlin_VFA34 said:

you mean the picture that bends up and down?

Will your fps stay at 90 or is below 90 just playable for you? Can I get your openxr settings?

1: Yes.

2: I do not run the openxr toolkit as I am using the Dynamic Foveated Rendering with eye tracking with my Aero. Turbo Mode is also an option with the wrapper supplied for the Aero by Mbucchia. I run with my fps locked to 45 fps (vsync locked in Varjo Base).

Don B

TLDW
* Its the best headset from Pimax
* Quite heavy - 1.2 kg
* Head straps break
* Some units ship with plastic lenses, to be replaced later
* Exchangeable lens system seems like a gimmick
* People receive different versions of the cable / copper vs fiber optic
* Resolution and brightness are really good
* Local dimming is difficult to get working, and causes some blooming
* No games seem to be running above 90Hz currently, despite showing 120Hz
* Controller tracking is ok, not great
* Glass lenses have some chromatic aberration
* Headset may work best for stationary simulators, but not for motion based games due to weight and tracking

Edited by winghunter
  • Thanks 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

Sounds like another typical Pimax release. Seems they will never learn.

Don B

Another Pimax hater, who plays job simulator... not the type of reviewer with flight sim credibility.

• Like 2