What's happened to the 109s handling?

Shibbyland

Maybe it was a few patches ago but I've just downloaded Normandy 2 and doing a bit of 109 flying.

It's awful now. Terrible roll rate but much worse is the elevator authority. The entire aircraft feels "mushy". It's angle of attack spikes to 20+ degrees with minimal elevator input over a very large speed range both fast and slow. 

It wallows through the sky.

I'm sure it didn't used to be like that

If you didn't use it since sometime ago, maybe some of your controls settings have changed? I flew it not long ago and it was as usual. Will try anyway.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

^ I concur. Was the first plane I flew over Paris yesterday, from cold start to shutdown, only some mild aerobatics, but still - haven't noticed anything different in its handling.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Maybe it is just me then or maybe I've gotten used to other aircraft and coming back to this one feels weird. I don't think my settings have changed but I decided to increase the Y axis curve yesterday to 20 and that's made it feel a bit more predictable. 

It just seems to hit really high angle of attack so quickly but looks like I'll just have to get used to it again.

While we're here tho, do you guys use manual RPM for dogfighting? The combat manifold pressure (I think its 1.35 ATA) seems to coincide with an automatic RPM below that which can be used for 30mins in combat. 

Paris and London blitz my poor old RTX 2060. I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and shell out on a new card.

3 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

Maybe it is just me then or maybe I've gotten used to other aircraft and coming back to this one feels weird. I don't think my settings have changed but I decided to increase the Y axis curve yesterday to 20 and that's made it feel a bit more predictable. 

It just seems to hit really high angle of attack so quickly but looks like I'll just have to get used to it again.

While we're here tho, do you guys use manual RPM for dogfighting? The combat manifold pressure (I think its 1.35 ATA) seems to coincide with an automatic RPM below that which can be used for 30mins in combat. 

Paris and London blitz my poor old RTX 2060. I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and shell out on a new card.

Max combat without MW50 is 1.45ATA and with MW50 1.8ATA rpm governor in Auto ofc.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

5 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

In combat it's always better to use auto governor, it's too much of a hassle to control that in the middle of a combat and exactly that was the point of Komandogerat.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 4/23/2023 at 8:06 AM, Shibbyland said:

Outside of a failure of the automatic propeller pitch system failing, there's no reason to control rpm manually, other than maybe landing, and that's only in case of needing a go around. You're more likely to over rev the engine and break it, than gaining any extra performance. Combat is at 1.35ATA and 2600rpm. You can happily sit at 1.42, if temps stay in acceptable ranges. Some pilots historically preferred setting the pitch manually to 11:30 for landing, because you didn't have to wait for the prop pitch to adjust for higher rpm when going to take off power for a go around. I still don't use manual control, because it means I have to keep an eye on the RPM gauge, I just listen for when the engine has ramped up to the RPM I'm used to, and keep an eye on airspeed for the take off.

In combat and other normal operations, unless you have a failure, zero reason to mess with manual pitch control. It's not a 109E-1.

Edited by umkhunto
  • Like 1