Switch SD-10 to new scheme API used by AIM-120C

uboats

Switch SD-10 to new scheme API used by AIM-120C  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should switch SD-10 to new scheme API used by AIM-120C now?

• Yes, please
    • No, not now

Recently, I saw several players reported issues for sd-10. Since we haven't changed it for a while, i'm afraid it's probably due to the scheme currently used by sd-10 only not updated/maintained.

So I'd like to see your suggestions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

• uboats pinned this topic

If the change is going to break the SD-10 just like the LD-10 when it was Switched to the AGM-88, then I'd rather not have the change and keep the current state.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

And as BigBorner already said, what will changing the scheme do? Last I have seen, the AIM-120 still has issues with tracking (losing track when enemy jettisons tanks for example)

From what I see, the missile seems to intercept targets normally, but will sometimes mistake the target's position by about 20 meters and miss.

My suggestion is, keeping it for now, until the 120 is fixed again, or try to figure out what exactly is wrong with the SD-10

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I see pros and cons here; on the one hand it would be nice if the SD-10 was like the 120 in that it didn't act like a FOX-1 until active (that is to say with dropped lock it still guided to last known location of target and could reacquire by itself as 120 does and as SD-10 should).

On the other hand, as many have said, the 120C has its own host of issues so I'd like clarification on if changes the scheme would have the SD-10 adopt 120 bugs/issues. I think a feature list of what would change would be helpful so we can weigh the pros/cons and vote accordingly. 

Edited by FlankerFan35
  • Like 1

I know the AIM-120 scheme may mean INS + datalink first, and what's more? Would the guidance act in a more realistic, scientific and detailed manner, or more bugged? Could it be solved before moved onto SD-10? 

We need a clear and detailed list or at least a brief on the features and bugs to decide it. And I believe you, as developers, probably have more info and clearer perception on it. So I can adopt that you have the ability, authority and responsibility to make the final decision on your own.

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

I know that for the first couple of patches (and sometimes currently) that the AIM-120 schema acts in a manner where shots can become trashed rather simply compared to the SD-10 which didn't have that problem since it used the older schema. Maybe you could try implementing the SD-10 with the new schema and then provide those changed files on the forums so members can do some in-depth testing before the change is finally made for an OB release.

Also, the radar modeling differences between jets complicate how AIM-120s and SD-10s might act. 

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

On 5/5/2023 at 6:47 AM, uboats said:

TBH, besides the INS feature in new scheme, i don't know other difference 😞

Would it be possible to create a second SD-10 missile using the new scheme so that we the players can try and test the differences ? I mean, Open beta is there to break stuff down.... so why not ? Regards multiplayer, servers can easily restrict missiles if they want so this shouldn't be a concern.

• Like 4

My skins

45 minutes ago, Mike_Romeo said:

Would it be possible to create a second SD-10 missile using the new scheme so that we the players can try and test the differences ? I mean, Open beta is there to break stuff down.... so why not ? Regards multiplayer, servers can easily restrict missiles if they want so this shouldn't be a concern.

Actually this would be a wonderful opportunity, since SD-10 is otherwise known as PL-12. This would allow to arm J-11As with them as well.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, okopanja said:

Actually this would be a wonderful opportunity, since SD-10 is otherwise known as PL-12. This would allow to arm J-11As with them as well.

the PL-12 is already in the game. plus you can already arm the J-11A with them, there is a mod for that on the UF.

6小时前,Mike_Romeo说:

Good idea. The only problem is it doesn't follow the tradition (developers to make the decision with or without a vote and then deliver a decided product), but it shouldn't be a problem. This would be a great trial in DCS for the first time to allow public players to evaluate which model is more acceptable, maybe also to push ED to improve the 120 scheme if we find it needed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Napillo said:

Does the SD-10 schema use the radar calculations used for the KLJ radar?

Some pictures have emerged of J-11a with pl-12 being carried centerline. SU-30mk2 have been carrying them the last few years.

@uboats
We need to get a better grip on how the API shift will affect the SD-10.

As for voting. Players want different things. Some users want SD-10 with double performance, others want the most realistic SD-10 possible.

I think a good first step will be to discuss if the new change will make it behave more realistic?

For starters, we know It is not an Amraam. Without knowing all the details, it sounds more like a Chinese R-77 clone with another body/rocket motor aimed for export market. If Aliexpress sold FOX3 missiles, this would probably fit the bill. Actual performance is difficult to get figures for, but the most common is that it is somewhat competitive with the old AIM-120B model. Not saying it’s a bad missile, but would be nice to have the characteristics that sets it apart from the 120.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Schmidtfire said:

nice to have the characteristics that sets it apart from the 120

It seems to behave more like the 120B, of course the missile is thicker than the 120, but that's about it, steering fin seems to have a notch and maybe it's slightly longer, giving it better steering, it should be able to pull more G, and it can go faster, but it's a bit less aerodynamic since it's thicker, hence why it's better at higher altitudes - larger steering fins give it a better turn rate, and the dual impulse motor helps it pick up more speed. Those things should auto loft. 

On 5/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, uboats said:

Recently, I saw several players reported issues for sd-10. Since we haven't changed it for a while, i'm afraid it's probably due to the scheme currently used by sd-10 only not updated/maintained.

So I'd like to see your suggestions.

As a new player, I really don't know what missile scheme is, can you explain?

2023/5/9 AM11点16分,Napillo说:

It seems to behave more like the 120B, of course the missile is thicker than the 120, but that's about it, steering fin seems to have a notch and maybe it's slightly longer, giving it better steering, it should be able to pull more G, and it can go faster, but it's a bit less aerodynamic since it's thicker, hence why it's better at higher altitudes - larger steering fins give it a better turn rate, and the dual impulse motor helps it pick up more speed. Those things should auto loft. 

It's just dual thrust engine like 120 or even sparrows. We don't have dual pulse motor in game for now.