Kola Map - what are the features that makes this map different / your favorite?

22 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

But that's not in Norway, so I highly doubt F-16s routinely flew there.
Just kidding, I want all of those valleys!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I know, just the point You've marked is as far in the North as the area between these two cities... 🤝

Edited by smire666

On 8/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, Steel Jaw said:

Is this map available? 

Where did you come from? 😉

This map in the process of being created, and the maps for DCS can be counted on the fingers till now, so not a problem to remember what was released till now ;>.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/terrains/

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 8/11/2023 at 9:19 PM, MAXsenna said:

But that's not in Norway, so I highly doubt F-16s routinely flew there.
Just kidding, I want all of those valleys!

Luleå and Rovaniemi is not it Norway, but the valley in the picture is.
"Stormdalen"   🙂

null

image.png

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 2

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

I really would like to see some kind of coastal artillery forts in those fjords.
Would help sinking ships. Most of them also had AAA.

Kystfort.jpg

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 3

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Oh! Great idea!

Imagine they would make a WW2 version of this map in the future after release. It would actually make a lot of historical WW2 scenarios possible, like the ´´Battle of Narvik´ or´ The sinking of Tirpitz´ or the ´Soviet Liberation of Finnmark.´

Edited by Larzei
  • Like 3

A-4E, F-5, F-18, F-16, UH-1H, KA-50 

11 minutes ago, Larzei said:

Imagine they would make a WW2 version of this map in the future after release. It would actually make a lot of historical WW2 scenarios possible, like the ´´Battle of Narvik´ or´ The sinking of Tirpitz´ or the ´Soviet Liberation of Finnmark.´

Totally! With expansions to the South and the East, all the way to Denmark and the Baltics.

🤤 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, smire666 said:

Once again, Gents. My thought was as below... Your point, Moxica lays exactly as far in the North, as Rovaniemi. So hi-res Area🤜🤛 I can't wait to fly the F16 through these valleys😎

NOR.jpg

I see. Responding to "proxy" posts while buzy at work is not a good idea. 🙂
How far south will this hi-res area go?
(Because I have a cabin 80-some km south of errh.. Rovaniemi. 🙂 )

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 2

Today I made a mission with ships targeting a container ship deep in a fjord in South atlantic.
I put up some variants of artillery at the entrance to see what happens. Currenthills arty does not fire.  😞 
The other ones do.

Last thing I found under "Fortifications" was a 150mm gun, looking fairly like a coastal artillery.
To "exhausted" to try them right now, but I placed them at a narrow "sund".
I hope they are more than cosmetic props. So if they will fire at the attacking ships, it looks like a plan.

• Like 1

I see. Responding to "proxy" posts while buzy at work is not a good idea.
How far south will this hi-res area go?
(Because I have a cabin some 100 km souith of errh.. Rovaniemi.  )
You gonna bomb your cabin? Would be the ultimate insurance fraud I guess.

2 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

You gonna bomb your cabin? Would be the ultimate insurance fraud I guess. emoji2373.png

Hey! It just got a new coat of paint! I would not dream of scratching that. Might defend it though. Allthough might drop one on some of the.. ohnevemid.
Fact is; a fellow DCS'er has a cabin on the southern part of that lake, told me he had some F16s buzzing his tower there..
Another memory for life.  🙂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Moxica said:

Hey! It just got a new coat of paint! I would not dream of scratching that. Might defend it though. Allthough might drop one on some of the.. ohnevemid.
Fact is; a fellow DCS'er has a cabin on the southern part of that lake, told me he had some F16s buzzing his tower there..
Another memory for life.  🙂

Cool! Soon you can buzz'em together, perhaps. 😎

• Like 1

Look what I found in ME!
They tore those ships up good:

Cannon.png

• Like 3

On 6/2/2023 at 8:05 AM, tripod3 said:

How to crack rus defence of murmansk naval bases on this map without Trident? )

Good luck!  Outside of St. Petersburg and Moscow, I'm not sure there is a more heavily defended area of Russia proper from the Soviet era... the SAM network up there was absolute madness!

• Like 3

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

5 hours ago, Whiskey11 said:

Good luck!  Outside of St. Petersburg and Moscow, I'm not sure there is a more heavily defended area of Russia proper from the Soviet era... the SAM network up there was absolute madness!

Yes, but now it's 1 guy named Igor with a very long pointed stick.

• Like 3

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

• 3 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 1:45 AM, Northstar98 said:
  • It's our first proper Cold War theatre between NATO and the USSR (even as a modern day map - owing to how sparsely populated the area is, meaning changes are going to be relatively insignificant), no other map comes close.
  • The area is a pretty strategic one (namely due to the Soviet/Russian Northern Fleet and its sizeable SSBN force) and has a very large military presence.
  • It's perfect for NATO carrier operations and had the Cold War gone hot, it would most likely be the place the F-14, A-6 and A-7 would've fought over (among others).
  • Several of our assets and modules were/are based here, especially for REDFOR.
  • It's a major setting in Red Storm Rising and it features in several other titles.
  • The map's geography is fairly unique compared to other maps (closest one is South America on the South Atlantic map).

If anyone is interested, I am currently in the process of making a .kmz showing numerous locations (airbases, naval bases, SAM sites, munitions depots and other military and civilian points of interest), with the goal of trying to produce a realistic order of battle for the region.

@Northstar98 Great stuff, After I read a few historical papers on the Norway theater and the NATO flank strategy which came into play in the 1980's I had the same idea.  Here's a bit of a view towards my WIP.  Definitely willing to share.  This site, Soviet Armed Forces 1945-1991 (ww2.dk), is awesome for information on the Soviet Order of Battle.  The 1990 info is straight out of the CFE Treaty.  Also, I've looked a bit at the USAF Orbat for the 1989/90 time period as well:

image.png

image.png

image.png

All of the Norwegian airfields:

image.png

image.png

Soviet Air Defenses 1980:

image.png

image.png

Soviet Air Defenses 1989/1990:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by mkellytx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mkellytx said:

@Northstar98 Great stuff, After I read a few historical papers on the Norway theater and the NATO flank strategy which came into play in the 1980's I had the same idea.  Here's a bit of a view towards my WIP.  Definitely willing to share.  This site, Soviet Armed Forces 1945-1991 (ww2.dk), is awesome for information on the Soviet Order of Battle.  The 1990 info is straight out of the CFE Treaty.  Also, I've looked a bit at the USAF Orbat for the 1989/90 time period as well:

image.png

image.png

image.png

All of the Norwegian airfields:

image.png

image.png

Soviet Air Defenses 1980:

image.png

image.png

Soviet Air Defenses 1989/1990:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Awesome stuff! I fear my work might be made redundant :thumbup:

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

12 hours ago, mkellytx said:

Nonsense, most of the stuff I did is only air force/air defense focused.  Feel free to PM.

I've got Russian/Soviet air forces/air defence forces done, I'm probably 99.99% finished with Soviet/Russian naval facilities, including what units were where and when (see this for an example).

I've also started on the electrical grid (or at least major parts of it, such as power plants and distribution facilities) as well as some civilian points of interest (such as the facilities of Andøya space), though that's still quite incomplete.

I think I've got Norway's air defence sites (both current and historical) done (including EWR, CRC and CAOC facilities), though aerdromes still need fleshing out with what units were present and when, same for Finland and Sweden (though in all cases I've got most-to-all of them marked, including highway strips. I am sure however, that there are probably still some minor aerdromes that that I've missed).

I've done a couple of Finnish EWR sites that I was lucky enough to spot and make out what radars were/likely are present but Sweden's network is fairly elusive (I have got a single document showing very rough locations of at least 1 radar type, but it doesn't help that many of their radars at least appear to have submersible versions that can retract into hardened silos when needed, much like the Norwegian SINDRE I/II radars) - there's next to nothing about them online.

I'm also going to include NAVAIDs where possible and airspace (at least North European Aerospace Test range (comprising of the Vidsel and Esrange ranges), this is still quite incomplete, but this at least should be fairly easy.

I've also heavily used ww2.dk in doing the Soviet/Russian side of things, but there are cases where I've had to fill in its blanks (namely the 161st submarine brigade), using other sources and satellite imagery.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

I've got Russian/Soviet air forces/air defence forces done, I'm probably 99.99% finished with Soviet/Russian naval facilities, including what units were where and when (see this for an example).

I've also started on the electrical grid (or at least major parts of it, such as power plants and distribution facilities) as well as some civilian points of interest (such as the facilities of Andøya space), though that's still quite incomplete.

I think I've got Norway's air defence sites (both current and historical) done (including EWR, CRC and CAOC facilities), though aerdromes still need fleshing out with what units were present and when, same for Finland and Sweden (though in all cases I've got most-to-all of them marked, including highway strips. I am sure however, that there are probably still some minor aerdromes that that I've missed).

I've done a couple of Finnish EWR sites that I was lucky enough to spot and make out what radars were/likely are present but Sweden's network is fairly elusive (I have got a single document showing very rough locations of at least 1 radar type, but it doesn't help that many of their radars at least appear to have submersible versions that can retract into hardened silos when needed, much like the Norwegian SINDRE I/II radars) - there's next to nothing about them online.

I'm also going to include NAVAIDs where possible and airspace (at least North European Aerospace Test range (comprising of the Vidsel and Esrange ranges), this is still quite incomplete, but this at least should be fairly easy.

I've also heavily used ww2.dk in doing the Soviet/Russian side of things, but there are cases where I've had to fill in its blanks (namely the 161st submarine brigade), using other sources and satellite imagery.

Hello Northstar98!

Regarding the Swedish radar stations there were the PS-65 radar, PS-15 along the coast (125m high radar towers). During the 70:s there were the PS-66 och later the PS-860 wich was submersible into concrete silos. There is a good book, with some text and pictures of these called, Svenskt flyg under kalla kriget. (Swedish aviation during the cold war in English). ISBN 978-91-7329-134-7. Unfortionately is this book written in Swedish.  Another Swedish book wich includes maps over radar stations (PS-65, PS-66 and PS-15) in Sweden is JA 37 Viggen written by Jan Forsgren, ISBN 978-91-88885-81-4. 

Best regards:

Otulf

Edited by Otulf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Otulf said:

Hello Northstar98!

Regarding the Swedish radar stations there were the PS-65 radar, PS-15 along the coast (125m high radar towers). During the 70:s there were the PS-66 och later the PS-860 wich was submersible into concrete silos. There is a good book, with some text and pictures of these called, Svenskt flyg under kalla kriget. (Swedish aviation during the cold war in English). ISBN 978-91-7329-134-7. Unfortionately is this book written in Swedish.  Another Swedish book wich includes maps over radar stations (PS-65, PS-66 and PS-15) in Sweden is JA 37 Viggen written by Jan Forsgren, ISBN 978-91-88885-81-4. 

Best regards:

Otulf

Great book.

If anybody interested I can try to make english version via chat GPT

There is original Swedish language book scan (PDF) https://www.sendspace.com/file/zwq7k6

Edited by tripod3