Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

1 hour ago, Dogmanbird said:

i think you're on the right track.

is there a reason for not using ASW? You might find locking it to 30hz makes things very smooth and still look good (if you haven't yet tried)

I found ASW produced a blurry ghosty image in my attempts. How do I go about locking it to 30hz? I only see options for auto and forcing 45fps with ASW on or off in the tray tool.

Would i want the goggles still running at 72hz with ASW at 30hz?

RTX 3080 12GB  *  i7-13700K  *  64GB DDR5  *  Windows 11

it might still do 72 for you, as it has worked for me even though it doesn't divide, but worth trying 90 too.

to lock to 30Hz, copy the following into a .txt file and change the extension to .bat, then run this at any time oculus link is running. You can run it while flying too.

echo server:asw.clock30 > "TEMP.txt"

echo exit >> "TEMP.txt"

call "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusDebugToolCLI.exe" -f "%~dp0\TEMP.txt"

del "TEMP.txt"

If still ghosting etc. you can try locking to 18Hz.   substitute the first line with     echo server:asw.clock18 > "TEMP.txt"

Edited by Dogmanbird

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Dogmanbird:

try running the drivers that are included in the occulus support folder. I think this cured my overexposure / washed out appearance (not sure why)

Use turbo mode in the OXRTK

Set ASW to 30Hz. I posted a batch file to activate it little back in this thread.

in dcs multi thread mode, use DLAA for antialiasing

turn the in-game pixel density setting up as far as you can (or use OXRTK res override or debugtool pixel density - all achieve the same result for me). Test performance in marianas map. If you get it running smoothly there, you'll probably be smooth in all the other maps. 

good luck 🙂 👍

Running the drivers did it for me, Thank you very much. The colors nook the same as with the G2 and now the old headset will be obsolet. 

There is only one point that is annoying. While i was able to launch DCS while my G2 was on my desk, I now have to put the Q3 on all the time. Otherwise the screen goes off and the game does not like that

glad it worked

cover the proximity sensor with some painter tape or a single layer of white electrical tape. it needs to be semi opaque (let some light in)

p.s   after taping the sensor, when taking it off, lay it horizontally. Sitting it with the cameras facing down will make it shut off after a couple of minutes, well that's what happens for me.

it might actually be related to placing it at what the q3 thinks is ground height (i sit it on the floor) It hasn't happened if I sit it on a table or cushion above ground height. 

Still not sure what randomly puts it to sleep. maybe the amount of light still entering the sensor? Sometimes it can sit on the floor awake for 30 minutes 

Edited by Dogmanbird

10 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

i'd have thought without eye tracking, it would defeat the purpose of having the beautiful edge to edge clarity?

It's obviously not as good but the openxr FR works quite well for me now. Wondering if there are any gains to be had using quad 

Running the drivers did it for me, Thank you very much. The colors nook the same as with the G2 and now the old headset will be obsolet. 

There is only one point that is annoying. While i was able to launch DCS while my G2 was on my desk, I now have to put the Q3 on all the time. Otherwise the screen goes off and the game does not like that
Strange, for me i have not had any poblem taking the quest 3 on and off several times in busy MP servers. As soon as i put them back in i can see the game and all is fine. i guess it depends on HW or something.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

a bitrate of 960 seems to have consistent audio, at least no worse than 500 or less, though I'm still not sure there's a visual difference between 500 and anything above that. Is anyone convinced going above 500 makes a difference?

Not tried 500 but 450 looked bad to me, was using 900/940/960 all looked the same and much better. Now down to 800 and still looks good. I'm not using the headset audio though. I will try lower as I think it is bets to keep this as low as you can. My old Q2 setting was 450 which was why I was so surprised to see bad compression on the Q3 at this rate. I think meta have link software updates to do. Same thing happened with the Q2 at release. 

4 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

strange eh? I don't see any easily spotted compression artefacts or smearing at 500. I do at 200 or less. Maybe it's my eyes 🤪 i guess it's hard to know for sure unless everyone shares hardware details and games settings

Hmm..I'll try lowering it until I see it. The main place I saw it was in the terrain textures, particularly the green fields of normandy. 

11 hours ago, Gorn_GER said:

In Settings, Power. Set autosleep headset to 4 hrs. Default is 15s.

• Like 1

Sim Rig: Intel 12700KF, MSI RTX4090, 32GB DDR4@3200, Quest 3 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

Starting to do my head in.. I can't for the life of me get a stable 72fps in persian gulf, ready on the ramp, FA18. Even on the lowest settings, I get frame drops every few seconds. 7950x3d, 64gb CL30/6000mhz ram, 4090.. Tried disabling rebar, HAGS, usb hotswap.. I've copied DCS to a SATA drive and still get that frame or two of judder..

I have been using a G2 for several years and have been looking for an opportunity to upgrade to something with wider FOV and edge to edge clarity. I can't afford Pimax crystal, but truly wanted DFR and OLED. None the less, I have purchased a Q3 to test it out and see if I like it. I consider myself technology capable of quite a bit and had my G2 tuned really well. However, I am struggling with my Q3. 2 days of ownership and I am ready to go back to my G2...

System details:

• 7800X3D
  • 64gb DDR 5, 6000
  • DCS dedicated M.2 drive
  • Windows 11
  • Fully updated with all drivers and system files

Here are a few questions

• I would prefer wireless if possible, but I can't get it to run smooth even with everything in DCS tuned as low as possible. Even with ASW on, I still get bad stutters (about every 3 seconds) and unplayable. For wireless should I be utilizing AirLink or Virtual Desktop? 
  • I am running on a 5ghz router but could this be causing issues? Should I look at a Wifi6e router? 
  • I had OpenXR toolkit working for the G2 but I can't for the life of me get it to work with the Q3. Any ideas as to how I get it working? 
  • Is there a best practices guide of some kind to get the Q3 running properly either wired or wireless? I have searched high and low and I can't find anything that seems to cover the steps well enough for me. 
  • Should I be turning on ASW/motion reprojection through the Oculus App, Oculus Debug tool, or OpenXR (once I get it to work)?
  • Should I be messing with the Oculus Debug Tool at all? 

Additional points of reference

• Utilizing DLAA
  • PD 1.0
  • Most settings meduim to high
  • Utilizng Godlike in Oculus and aiming for 72hz
  • I am sure I have missed something else

TYIA for your help. I really want this to work to experience it and make an educated decision on keeping this vs. the G2

I have been using a G2 for several years and have been looking for an opportunity to upgrade to something with wider FOV and edge to edge clarity. I can't afford Pimax crystal, but truly wanted DFR and OLED. None the less, I have purchased a Q3 to test it out and see if I like it. I consider myself technology capable of quite a bit and had my G2 tuned really well. However, I am struggling with my Q3. 2 days of ownership and I am ready to go back to my G2...
System details:
  • 7800X3D
  • 64gb DDR 5, 6000
  • DCS dedicated M.2 drive
  • Windows 11
  • Fully updated with all drivers and system files
Here are a few questions
  • I would prefer wireless if possible, but I can't get it to run smooth even with everything in DCS tuned as low as possible. Even with ASW on, I still get bad stutters (about every 3 seconds) and unplayable. For wireless should I be utilizing AirLink or Virtual Desktop? 
  • I am running on a 5ghz router but could this be causing issues? Should I look at a Wifi6e router? 
  • I had OpenXR toolkit working for the G2 but I can't for the life of me get it to work with the Q3. Any ideas as to how I get it working? 
  • Is there a best practices guide of some kind to get the Q3 running properly either wired or wireless? I have searched high and low and I can't find anything that seems to cover the steps well enough for me. 
  • Should I be turning on ASW/motion reprojection through the Oculus App, Oculus Debug tool, or OpenXR (once I get it to work)?
  • Should I be messing with the Oculus Debug Tool at all? 
Additional points of reference
  • Utilizing DLAA
  • PD 1.0
  • Most settings meduim to high
  • Utilizng Godlike in Oculus and aiming for 72hz
  • I am sure I have missed something else
TYIA for your help. I really want this to work to experience it and make an educated decision on keeping this vs. the G2

I'm running 32gb ddr5, 4090 and 13900k. I have a Quest Pro that I got this weekend and spent a long time trying to get it to work optimally with DCS. I also came from a G2.

First I would not try air link with this at all. Also if you touched the encode bitrate, airlink will have issues but avoid airlink for DCS.

Virtual desktop supports openxr now so you could try that but I have not done so yet.

Openxr is now native in DCS, you may still need the toolkit to get it configured. I am not at this step yet but will mess with it later.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/318004-dcs-now-supports-openxr-natively/

For the debug tool you will want to increase encode bitrate. I started with 960 and I worked down to 740 but I'm still getting random audio stutters. So I think I need to dial this down by 10 until they stop.

In the oculus home PC app under settings I have 90hz selected and the resolution slider is 1.5. Not sure what the max is for your quest 3.

Dcs settings are all maxed out except SSO and SSR. I'm using DLAA and no DLSS.

Even with the official link cable I get some drop outs or connection issues. Not sure how to resolve this and a third party cable only gave me like 359Mbs in the speed test vs the official link cable attached to type C which gives 2.3Gps but I still had some freezes of link desktop, some disconnects and a bit of lag when you could tell the connection was going iffy.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

24 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

I'm running 32gb ddr5, 4090 and 13900k. I have a Quest Pro that I got this weekend and spent a long time trying to get it to work optimally with DCS. I also came from a G2.

First I would not try air link with this at all. Also if you touched the encode bitrate, airlink will have issues but avoid airlink for DCS.

Virtual desktop supports openxr now so you could try that but I have not done so yet.

Openxr is now native in DCS, you may still need the toolkit to get it configured. I am not at this step yet but will mess with it later.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/318004-dcs-now-supports-openxr-natively/

For the debug tool you will want to increase encode bitrate. I started with 960 and I worked down to 740 but I'm still getting random audio stutters. So I think I need to dial this down by 10 until they stop.

In the oculus home PC app under settings I have 90hz selected and the resolution slider is 1.5. Not sure what the max is for your quest 3.

Dcs settings are all maxed out except SSO and SSR. I'm using DLAA and no DLSS.

Even with the official link cable I get some drop outs or connection issues. Not sure how to resolve this and a third party cable only gave me like 359Mbs in the speed test vs the official link cable attached to type C which gives 2.3Gps but I still had some freezes of link desktop, some disconnects and a bit of lag when you could tell the connection was going iffy.

Don't think Virtual Desktop publicly supports OpenXR yet. The dev who was working on it pulled it from his git repo and made it private for closed beta testing. 

Unless you  have an executable you can share 😄 

Edit:

Seems like he made it public again. Awesome.

Edited by samplethief
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, samplethief said:

Don't think Virtual Desktop publicly supports OpenXR yet. The dev who was working on it pulled it from his git repo and made it private for closed beta testing. 

Unless you  have an executable you can share 😄 

This is what I had run into last night. I know DCS supports OpenXR natively but I had been using the toolkit to make further adjustments with my G2. I am unable to get the toolkit to work when running via virtual desktop. 

I attempted this morning to run a separate 5ghz router dedicated only to the Q3. However, I am still getting latench of 70ish ms. With everything on the lowest possible settings in DCS and still getting skips and stutters, I am starting to think that wireless is not an option with the current state of hardware. I ordered a link cable to see if that fixes the latency and skipping issue. If it doesn't solve the problem, then there is a setting somewhere else that must be impacting performance. 

1 hour ago, ISantus said:

I attempted this morning to run a separate 5ghz router dedicated only to the Q3. However, I am still getting latench of 70ish ms. With everything on the lowest possible settings in DCS and still getting skips and stutters, I am starting to think that wireless is not an option with the current state of hardware. I ordered a link cable to see if that fixes the latency and skipping issue. If it doesn't solve the problem, then there is a setting somewhere else that must be impacting performance. 

I just tried virtual desktop beta with openxr on my 5ghz dedicated and it looks nowhere near as good as the link cable using the settings I posted earlier.

Would be curious if anyone is trying VD with a dedicated 6e router. I have one but I don't have VD set up yet and I started troubleshooting USB issues after my setup.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

For anyone following along, I was able to use the new VD beta and that seems to have helped a lot. I am not sure if it is the software or if uninstalling VD and reinstalling (with the new beta) has helped. Right now I am checking it out and almost completely stutter free. Time to start fine tuning but I am over the initial hump of even get it to work to a minor degree.