DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Depending on which headset you have select the openXR runtime and DCS will work without any third party apps. 

Edit:

• OpenXR is removed from autosearch. DCS has a chain of VR vendors in priority oculus, OpenVR, Varjo, etc. OpenXR was in that chain in top priority, now it is removed from this chain and only available when you explicitly specify it in command line of DCS.

If you need to force openXR in DCS command parameter is --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR

Please ensure you are doing the command parameter on the DCS.exe or a shortcut from the DCS.exe (NOT the DCS_updater.exe)

Screenshot 2023-01-27 223137.png

for multithreading it is the same process but you are using the bin-mt DCS.exe

thank you

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Few things that may be useful.

With OpenXR supported in the game, you do not need OpenComposite anymore, regardless of what headset you use. The goal of OpenComposite is to bridge OpenVR to OpenXR. Using OpenComposite now would be redundant.

With OpenXR, you may have the opportunity to either USE or NOT USE SteamVR.

See the table below for headsets capable of native support (bypassing SteamVR):

Headset brand Has native OpenXR support? (without SteamVR)
Windows Mixed Reality (HP Reverb, Samsung Odyssey…) Yes
Oculus (Rift, Quest, Quest 2, Quest Pro…) via Link Yes
Oculus (...) via Virtual Desktop No
Varjo (Aero, VR-3…) Yes
Pimax (5K, 8K…) Yes (via PimaxXR)
HTC Tier 1 (Vive original, Vive Pro, Vive Pro 2) No
HTC Tier 2 (Vive Cosmos, Vive Focus) Yes (via VIVE Console)
Valve Index No
Pico (Neo 3, Neo 4) No

NOTE for Oculus users: if you are using Virtual Desktop, you MUST USE SteamVR (as of date of writing 2023-01-26). Only Link cable and Air Link will work with Oculus native OpenXR support.

NOTE: headsets in the list above without native OpenXR support can still use OpenXR, but you MUST USE SteamVR as your OpenXR runtime, as explained directly below.

If you want to USE SteamVR with OpenXR

Why/when to use SteamVR OpenXR?

- I have a headset that does not support OpenXR natively (eg: Valve Index).
- I rely on SteamVR features (like overlays or controller button bindings).
- I rely on SteamVR 3rd party apps (like fpsVR or OVRMC).

You must set SteamVR as your OpenXR runtime and run DCS.exe with --force_OpenXR (see BIGNEWY post above):

If you wish to revert to using OpenVR instead of OpenXR

Why/when to use OpenVR?

- I rely on OpenVR 3rd party injections (mods) like ReShade or vrperfkit
- I could not get OpenXR to work 😞

You must run the game with the extra command-line argument:

DCS.exe --force_steam_VR

Start as SteamVR

If you want to NOT USE SteamVR  at all

Why/when to use OpenXR without SteamVR?

- I have a headset that supports OpenXR natively (eg: HP Reverb).
- I want to remove the overhead of SteamVR (lower memory usage and possibly higher image clarity).

The procedure varies by headset/brand, and you must run DCS.exe with --force_OpenXR (see BIGNEWY post above):

WINDOWS MIXED REALITY (use EITHER method)

From Mixed Reality Portal:

Toggle OpenXR runtime

From OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality:

Toggle OpenXR runtime

OCULUS (Link cable or Air Link only)

From the Oculus app:

Toggle OpenXR runtime

Toggle OpenXR runtime

VARJO

From Varjo Base:

Toggle OpenXR runtime

PIMAX

You must download unofficial Pimax OpenXR support: Home · mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR Wiki · GitHub

Then from PimaxXR Control Center:

Toggle OpenXR runtime

HTC (Vive Cosmos and Focus only)

You must install the HTC Vive Console For SteamVR. Once opened:

Toggle OpenXR runtime

Toggle OpenXR runtime

To inspect the current configuration on your system (and make sure OpenXR is properly installed and configured), you can use OpenXR Explorer.

It will show you the currently active OpenXR runtime (which should match your device if you want things to work!):

image.png

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 29

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Yup Pico is still out of luck and must use OpenComposite + Steam OpenXR.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

7 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Yup Pico is still out of luck and must use OpenComposite + Steam OpenXR.

You do not need OpenComposite anymore. You can just use OpenXR via the SteamVR OpenXR runtime.

Edited by mbucchia
  • Thanks 2

If you want to still use SteamVR, an easier option is to use the command line parameter to start DCS:

DCS.exe --force_steam_VR

This will bypass OpenXR completely and switch back to native SteamVR implementation in DCS. At least for the time being, don't know how long ED will maintain it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

As a Rift S user, this means I can biff off the Oculus App, right?  My question is why?  What is the benefit of using openXR over the Oculus App?  (non-steam version).

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

5 minutes ago, some1 said:

If you want to still use SteamVR, an easier option is to use the command line parameter to start DCS:

DCS.exe --force_steam_VR

This will bypass OpenXR completely and switch back to native SteamVR implementation in DCS. At least for the time being, don't know how long ED will maintain it.

I added a note in my post, this is certainly a good fallback for people who just can't get OpenXR working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lace said:

As a Rift S user, this means I can biff off the Oculus App, right?  My question is why?  What is the benefit of using openXR over the Oculus App?  (non-steam version).

No, the Oculus Software has to run always in the background. Otherwise your headset will not work. It automatically switches to OpenXR API. Just minimize it and you are good to go. OpenXR is just another API that is open source. I am not sure what benefits there are - most SteamVR (Reverb G2) users had better experiences and FPS in OpenXR. For Oculus users this never has been relevant - no gains on that front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

3 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

No, the Oculus Software has to run always in the background. Otherwise your headset will not work. It automatically switches to OpenXR API. Just minimize it and you are good to go. OpenXR is just another API that is open source. I am not sure what benefits there are - most SteamVR (Reverb G2) users had better experiences and FPS in OpenXR. For Oculus users this never has been relevant - no gains on that front.

Thanks.  It's working just fine at the moment, so I'll just leave it alone.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

21 minutes ago, dmatt76 said:

Do you still need to use OpenXR toolkit to tweak the settings?

As far as the settings you want to tweak is the ones provided by OpenXR Toolkit, yes

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

@VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants Pico is running fine. Virtual Desktop runs it emulating a Quest HMD. The DCS log says "INFO    VISUALIZER (Main): LAUNCH IN VR : SteamVR/OpenXR : oculus" which is exactly what you want to have. Since VD's reprojection system runs on the headset, no problems!

People mix up to much about SteamVR and OpenXR! SteamVR is just a runtime, OpenXR is an API. SteamVR was never the source of trouble for WMR headset users, it was the half-baked WMR for SteamVR plugin by Microsoft. OpenComposite was basically made for bypassing this terrible WMR plugin. The whole thing was just a failed attempt by Microsoft to establish a third VR market platform. But luckily no developer really cared about WMR as an API.

Edited by RealDCSpilot
  • Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I have deleted OpenComposite as per the above. Pimax XR is installed and set to OPENXR. Everything appears to work normally (including the mouse in VR). However, once I select a Mission and reach the Choose Role page to select an aircraft and prior to entering the cockpit in flight, the mouse cursor freezes and I cannot proceed and have to End Task to escape. This is with OPENXR. if I use the PimaxXR and select SteamVR everything works normally, but there is a performance reduction of about 10-20 fps vs pre DCS patch yesterday. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Edited by Nuggetz

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Depending on which headset you have select the openXR runtime and DCS will work without any third party apps. 

Currently we are working on a crash if motion reprojection is being forced on. If you have reprojection on auto or off you will not see the crash. 

Finally offcial news! Great, but why not before the patch or in changelog? Many of us was tearing his hair out what's going on and repairing DCS or something. :renske:

• Like 4

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Since the introduction of 2.8 I stopped playing DCS. The performance of the game has dropped to a level that I am not able to accept. BETA has always been a "training ground" for new solutions, but now even STABLE does not give joy from playing in VR. I spent a lot of money on DCS add-ons, but spending more is pointless, because you cannot play in VR without having a headache...

I'll keep checking the forum here and hope to see better times for VR enthusiasts like me.

It's time for a spin on F-16...but not the one from DCS...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

• ED Team
12 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Finally offcial news! Great, but why not before the patch or in changelog? Many of us was tearing his hair out what's going on and repairing DCS or something. :renske:

As mentioned in other comments yes it should have been in the notes, and it slipped under my radar as I was already using openXR, I have mentioned it to the team 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, yogipol said:

Since the introduction of 2.8 I stopped playing DCS. The performance of the game has dropped to a level that I am not able to accept. BETA has always been a "training ground" for new solutions, but now even STABLE does not give joy from playing in VR. I spent a lot of money on DCS add-ons, but spending more is pointless, because you cannot play in VR without having a headache...

I'll keep checking the forum here and hope to see better times for VR enthusiasts like me.

It's time for a spin on F-16...but not the one from DCS...

Turn off Shadows flat, they are buggy. Leave Off only here. They are working on the patch/improvements.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

9 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

Oh okay. Is this not one of those times? To have native support for OpenXR?

There are performance improvements?

9 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

We need a poop emoji/reaction on this forum

Not fair..

Edited by Topo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Topo said:

There are performance improvements?

Native support for OpenXR is a general quality of life improvement for non SteamVR users which resolves issues such as the epilepsy inducing server browser.

Those using OpenComposite won't notice much of a difference, since we've been use to the lack of in-game stuttering for some time, but it does mean that any DCS update won't prevent players from using OpenXR as it is now baked in.

Not all QoL updates are in the form of performance boosts.

• ED Team
21 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

Oh okay. Is this not one of those times? To have native support for OpenXR?

We need a poop emoji/reaction on this forum.

Hi please keep it civil here, thank you

On 1/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, YoYo said:

Turn off Shadows flat, they are buggy. Leave Off only here. They are working on the patch/improvements.

Playable VR and DLSS support should be TOP priority for ED, instead of adding minor features to modules... We can pass without a new radar feature but NEED a playable experience in VR.

What happened here with this unannounced and KEY change is BAD. Instead of playing our game (our free time is precious), we spent hours angry trying to understand what happened.

Many stopped buying more modules until they can again play their favourite game in VR. Just a note to be considered by ED.

Edited by KCOOL
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

as we have already mentioned we are working on the shadows issues and VR performance, we also have multithreading, DLSS and other core features on the horizon. 

With that said please dont derail this thread, keep it for the openXR native support topic

thanks

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3