Introducing Meta Quest 3

YoYo

Have bobo updated the battery to work correctly with the q3? last i saw it wouldn't maintain charge in the q3 and produced some hum/buz from the battery if used on the m3 headstrap
Sure. They have just released a battery and strap for Quest 3. S3 strap is the name.

Enviado desde mi SM-G981B mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks again to those who answered my questions earlier about this headset. They helped me make the choice on whether to get the Q3 or stick with my Q2. I now have my Q3 and have been messing with it for a couple of hours, so it is perhaps time for me to contribute as well.

My Setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x ~4.3GHz.
GPU: MSI AMD 6900XT, left as is with no intentional overclock
Ram: 32gb Trident Z ~3000mhz.
Motherboard: X470 Gaming plus by MSI
Cable: Syntech 16ft USB 3.0
Primary Monitor: 3480x2160 (My DCS profile swaps it to 1920x1080)
Secondary Monitor: 1920x1080 (Unused for DCS but still being rendered)

For what it's worth, I got the 6900XT during the great GPU shortage (particularly for the copious VRAM) and I have yet to have issues with it in VR, same for the 5600X. I will be staying with AMD for the foreseeable future.

Quest 3:
-90hz @ 4128x2208 (Native)
-Honzvr perscription lenses
-APEXINNO silicone interface cover

Quest 2:
-90hz @ 3712x1872 (1.0 according to Oculus)

DCS Settings:

image.jpeg

Performance Results vs Quest 2:

No major difference. My desired FPS is 45 FPS locked without ASW, and so far this setup delivers, both on Caucasus and Syria. Neither the Mi-24, F-16 nor Mi-8 brought it consistently below this. It typically hovered around ~55 FPS when unlocked as I flew around Syria in a Hind on a local-hosted sandbox multiplayer mission. I was CPU bound the entire time according to the in-game FPS monitoring utility.

Thoughts on the Quest 3:
Worth it.

Visuals:

I am in perhaps the best circumstances for running it at the native resolution as I got my eyes checked the same day I ordered it and the lenses. I can read the F-16 MFDs reliably (except for small text like the bullesye numbers, which is a bit of a challenge.) The switches on the sides are a bit more difficult but are usually still legible. If not, a quick lean to one side solves the issue. My regular office, the front seat of the Hind, was similarly workable. I can clearly read the little charts on the right side with relative ease and the dials are a no-brainer. The CPG's weapon dial is a bit difficult (I can decipher the '30' but not the other letters for the store, for example).

Something that I really want to emphasize is the edge-to-edge clarity the Q3 offers. I can read the contents of the right F-16 MFD while the headset is directly pointed at the left one. Hell, I can read the Oil Pressure gauge while looking at the left MFD! Interestingly, the edges almost seem clearer, though maybe that's my lenses. Absolutely not happening with the Quest 2. The days of looking directly at a particular switch and zooming in on it are thankfully over.  So are the days of tilting the headset vertically in an awkward and never-ending quest to get the perfect angle on the CRT-looking lenses.

The Honzvr lenses were themselves a big upgrade from glasses. I have a mismatched prescription but both eyes are in the negatives above -2.5 and I have astigmatism in one eye. Fitting my glasses in the Q2 headset was a big pain and I am very happy I don't have to worry about it anymore. Shipping to me in the central US took 5 days. I also ordered the optics cover for when I am not using the headset, eliminating the problem of dust settling on them.

The Quest 3's dial for precise IPD adjustment is very handy.

Comfort:

I don't use aftermarket straps, the vanilla straps on both were sufficient for me. The Quest 3's do feel a bit more robust. The silicone face cover is a must for me, a greasy sponge being held against my face isn't very fun. My only real complaint with the Q3 is that its sidepieces go perhaps a further quarter-inch back than the Q2's, complicating  the wearing of my Hyperx Cloud III. I had to angle the pieces a bit up to fit the ear cups over my ears, and it still could be better. This wasn't an issue with the Q2.

If you are like me and use a wired connection I would strongly recommend that you loop a cable management strap around the strap of the headset and route your cable through that. It reduces the vertical stress on the port substantially and also keeps the cable off the side of your face.

Note on Privacy:

Remember that you can used windows defender firewall to block inbound and outbound connections to basically anything, including Quest software, and still use the headset once you have it initially configured. I set my headsets up using my phone's temporary hotspot so Meta never has access to my home's Wifi, disable the firewall rules so it can run updates, and then lock everything down again once I have everything good to go. I can then use it at my leisure for months on end without worrying about the mic and cameras next to me.  I would encourage anyone that strictly uses their headset for DCS to do this.

Conclusion:

It was worth the  cost for me. No matter what comes out next, I probably won't upgrade until I rebuild my PC. Even then I may just upscale it instead of buying a new model. It's simply good enough for me, and it would take a lot to make that next step up worth it.

Edited by ACS_Dev
Grammar.
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, ACS_Dev said:

Thanks again to those who answered my questions earlier about this headset. They helped me make the choice on whether to get the Q3 or stick with my Q2. I now have my Q3 and have been messing with it for a couple of hours, so it is perhaps time for me to contribute as well.

My Setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x ~4.3GHz.
GPU: MSI AMD 6900XT, left as is with no intentional overclock
Ram: 32gb Trident Z ~3000mhz.
Motherboard: X470 Gaming plus by MSI
Cable: Syntech 16ft USB 3.0
Primary Monitor: 3480x2160 (My DCS profile swaps it to 1920x1080)
Secondary Monitor: 1920x1080 (Unused for DCS but still being rendered)

For what it's worth, I got the 6900XT during the great GPU shortage (particularly for the copious VRAM) and I have yet to have issues with it in VR, same for the 5600X. I will be staying with AMD for the foreseeable future.

Quest 3:
-90hz @ 4128x2208 (Native)
-Honzvr perscription lenses
-APEXINNO silicone interface cover

Quest 2:
-90hz @ 3712x1872 (1.0 according to Oculus)

DCS Settings:

image.jpeg

Performance Results vs Quest 2:

No major difference. My desired FPS is 45 FPS locked without ASW, and so far this setup delivers, both on Caucasus and Syria. Neither the Mi-24, F-16 nor Mi-8 brought it consistently below this. It typically hovered around ~55 FPS when unlocked as I flew around Syria in a Hind on a local-hosted sandbox multiplayer mission.

Thoughts on the Quest 3:
Worth it.

Visuals:

I am in perhaps the best circumstances for running it at the native resolution as I got my eyes checked the same day I ordered it and the lenses. I can read the F-16 MFDs reliably (except for small text like the bullesye numbers, which is a bit of a challenge.) The switches on the sides are a bit more difficult but are usually still legible. If not, a quick lean to one side solves the issue. My regular office, the front seat of the Hind, was similarly workable. I can clearly read the little charts on the right side with relative ease and the dials are a no-brainer. The CPG's weapon dial is a bit difficult (I can decipher the '30' but not the other letters for the store, for example).

Something that I really want to emphasize is the edge-to-edge clarity the Q3 offers. I can read the contents of the right F-16 MFD while the headset is directly pointed at the left one. Hell, I can read the Oil Pressure gauge while looking at the left MFD! Interestingly, the edges almost seem clearer, though maybe that's my lenses. Absolutely not happening with the Quest 2. The days of looking directly at a particular switch and zooming in on it are thankfully over.  So are the days of tilting the headset vertically in an awkward and never-ending quest to get the perfect angle on the CRT-looking lenses.

The Honzvr lenses were themselves a big upgrade from glasses. I have a mismatched prescription but both eyes are in the negatives above -2.5 and I have astigmatism in one eye. Fitting my glasses in the Q2 headset was a big pain and I am very happy I don't have to worry about it anymore. Shipping to me in the central US took 5 days. I also ordered the optics cover for when I am not using the headset, eliminating the problem of dust settling on them.

The Quest 3's dial for precise IPD adjustment is very handy.

Comfort:

I don't use aftermarket straps, the vanilla straps on both were sufficient for me. The Quest 3's do feel a bit more robust. The silicone face cover is a must for me, a greasy sponge being held against my face isn't very fun. My only real complaint with the Q3 is that it's sidepieces go perhaps a further quarter-inch back than the Q2's, complicating  the wearing of my Hyperx Cloud III. I had to angle the pieces a bit up to fit the ear cups over my ears, and it still could be better. This wasn't an issue with the Q2.

If you are like me and use a wired connection I would strongly recommend that you loop a cable management strap around the strap of the headset and route your cable through that. It reduces the vertical stress on the port substantially and also keeps the cable off the side of your face.

Note on Privacy:

Remember that you can used windows defender firewall to block inbound and outbound connections to basically anything, including Quest software, and still use the headset once you have it initially configured. I set my headsets up using my phone's temporary hotspot so Meta never has access to my home's Wifi, disable the firewall rules so it can run updates, and then lock everything down again once I have everything good to go. I can then use it at my leisure for months on end without worrying about the mic and cameras next to me.  I would encourage anyone that strictly uses their headset for DCS to do this.

Conclusion:

It was worth the  cost for me. No matter what comes out next, I probably won't upgrade until I rebuild my PC. Even then I may just upscale it instead of buying a new model. It's simply good enough for me, and it would take a lot to make that next step up worth it.

Thanks. I have a similar computer setup and was wondering if the 5600x still had what it took. I’m on a rift S currently. Although I’m still waiting, it looks like this might be my next headset

3 minutes ago, ricktoberfest said:

Thanks. I have a similar computer setup and was wondering if the 5600x still had what it took. I’m on a rift S currently. Although I’m still waiting, it looks like this might be my next headset

I had the Rift S before the Quest 2, I'd imagine it'd be night and day for you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 8:50 PM, Dogmanbird said:

i wonder if clearing the shader cache might cure it?

Does that really do anything? 

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hi gents, soon to be owner of Q3. I plan to use cable link due to no good wifi router. Few questions:

- What does the "encoding bitrate" do? Is it affecting picture quality like resolution?

- Can I use steamvr as openxr runtime (i do with g2 because of better reprojection), or only openxr (with g2 its reprojection is much worse) or there is this asw setting in oculus debug tool, which replaces both of them?

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, jurinko said:

Hi gents, soon to be owner of Q3. I plan to use cable link due to no good wifi router. Few questions:

- What does the "encoding bitrate" do? Is it affecting picture quality like resolution?

- Can I use steamvr as openxr runtime (i do with g2 because of better reprojection), or only openxr (with g2 its reprojection is much worse) or there is this asw setting in oculus debug tool, which replaces both of them?

Thanks!

Encoding bitrate relates to the video compression. The image produced by DCS is compressed then decompressed by the headset. The higher the bitrate the lower the compression. So higher bitrates should give less compression artifacts. 

You don't need steam VR. Oculus runs open xr natively and ASW is about the best reprojection available (it's not perfect though and you'll get ghosting and other artifacts). You could also consider using third party Virtual Desktop which will also run open xr natively and gives you slightly better performance. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I found out the sliced encoding must be default (or off) otherwise i get stutter. Turbo in oxrtk on. Q3 runs awesome at 80hz, 1.4 res in oculus settings, asw on auto - most of the time off except when low above Haifa. And i still wait for prescription lenses so it will be even better. I tried old G2 for comparision, it is like looking through a pipe with everything blurred except for center. Q3 for the win. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:06 PM, Snuten said:

Hmm yes I do. Darn it, could that be the problem? I just bought a new dedicated NVME for DCS 😄. Is it possible to just move the whole DCS folder to a Sata SDD, or must I reinstall it?(question open for those who knows) 🙂

Hey dude. I think i figured out why it runs like crap on my NVME. The NVME I bought has no DRAM cache (Crucial P3 plus)

I found a post on reddit where somebody who had the same problems, moved to a samsung 970 Evo plus and it worked.

15 hours ago, samplethief said:

Hey dude. I think i figured out why it runs like crap on my NVME. The NVME I bought has no DRAM cache (Crucial P3 plus)

I found a post on reddit where somebody who had the same problems, moved to a samsung 970 Evo plus and it worked.

Hi! 😄

The strange thing is that I had my install exactly on a Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB but had this problem. Then I moved the install to a SATA SSD. And then I moved it back to the 970 Evo plus and was working on that device since. Perhaps Microsoft issue/drivers that was messed up?

• 3 weeks later...

I got Q3/4080 working in Virtual desktop (with 40euro wifi router). I wanted to get rid of the V62/63 drama and run DCS in OpenXR, but alas, it still runs better with SteamVR, Turbo on, HEVC-10bit or AV1 codec. It runs slightly worse with HEVC-10bit, Turbo OFF, VRDX runtime - here and there slight soft stutter. I am definitely spoiled.

Simplicity of life with VD is nice, everyhing is made with Q3 on and the tracker/fingers, no swearing and peering through the slot around my nose at the keyboard. Q3 is, after much fiddling after G2, a great upgrade. 

• Like 2

vor 4 Stunden schrieb jurinko:

Simplicity of life with VD is nice, everyhing is made with Q3 on and the tracker/fingers, no swearing and peering through the slot around my nose at the keyboard. Q3 is, after much fiddling after G2, a great upgrade.

So the visuals/performance debate aside…what is it, that one can do with VD, that one can‘t or is more complicated with Meta Link?

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

5 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

So the visuals/performance debate aside…what is it, that one can do with VD, that one can‘t or is more complicated with Meta Link?

VD at the moment is more reliable. However it requires a dedicated router placed close to the headset and connected to pc by an ethernet cable. It has more options in terms of codecs (av1 for Q3). It has a sharpness slider for more fine control than the two settings in oculus debug tool. There is quite a lot of stuff built into VD that is good for games with hand tracking. VD does not need a cable. 

Oculus link cable can be pushed to a higher bitrate (960 Vs 400). ASW is better than SSW. 

VD and oculus link cable are comparable and it mainly comes down to preference. Personally I prefer oculus link for my QP but I am having some stability issues which I think might be cable related so I am using VD for now..

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

7 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

To be absolutely honest, i just wanted to mess with it to try something else, after getting excellent results with cable link. And kids complained wifi in their room is poor, so now they have dedicated 2.4G channel and I have 5G. 

VD is also a backup for situations like it is now. 

6 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

@jurinko

I mean what is it, that you have to peek for your keyboard with meta link that you don‘t have to with VD.

With virtual desktop running you see your desktop like in a cinema and by single click you get into VD settings, or start/switch off SteamVR, or switch between desktop and VR. DCS is started by clicking the desktop icon with the tracking tool. 

With Oculus link, i can use tracker or fingers first, but then I can use only mouse (after the quest link starts). With v63 bs I cannot start DCS by the VR icon, but have to peer outside headset and start it from the normal desktop or from Steam. 

vor 52 Minuten schrieb jurinko:

With Oculus link, i can use tracker or fingers first, but then I can use only mouse (after the quest link starts). With v63 bs I cannot start DCS by the VR icon, but have to peer outside headset and start it from the normal desktop or from Steam. 

Uhmm…no. You can use hand controllers all the time with Quest Link. When you startet Quest Link and you are in that grey environment, you just click the „monitor“ button on the bar at the bottom and your desktop is visible. You can now use your mouse or the hand controllers to open DCS via the desktop shortcut. It‘s all pretty straight forward.

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

I used to use the hand tracked quick menu on my quest 3 all the time, very handy for accessing the recording feature among other things. For the last little while it has stopped being available in the link menu and in DCS and I haven't figured out how to get it back. Anyone know where this option is? I'm on v62 running over link cable.

Guys, users of Quest 3 on the Cable Link, question about battery life (with non stop gaming but with Cable Link, USB-C)

My friend has Q3 and he has a problem with them in this respect. He has it charged to 100%, he plays (Cable Link) about 3 hours and so +/- 15 minutes only from the level fully charged. During this time batter of my Quest Pro drops to... 80-75%% (on QP), when he already has zero on the Quest 3. LOL. The difference is that I could probably play for 9-10 hours non stop, while my friend could play Quest 3 for only 3 hours. My impression is that the Q3 discharges much, much faster, or perhaps the battery was made of different components, or there was some software limiter for charging via the cable while playing to prevent the battery from heating up too much (they are poorly designed?). The current is the same on the cable, we checked it with a meter. 3 hours is a bit short, especially when flying online.

What do you think? Is it normal on Cable Link?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

7 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Guys, users of Quest 3 on the Cable Link, question about battery life (with non stop gaming but with Cable Link, USB-C)

My friend has Q3 and he has a problem with them in this respect. He has it charged to 100%, he plays (Cable Link) about 3 hours and so +/- 15 minutes only from the level fully charged. During this time batter of my Quest Pro drops to... 80-75%% (on QP), when he already has zero on the Quest 3. LOL. The difference is that I could probably play for 9-10 hours non stop, while my friend could play Quest 3 for only 3 hours. My impression is that the Q3 discharges much, much faster, or perhaps the battery was made of different components, or there was some software limiter for charging via the cable while playing to prevent the battery from heating up too much (they are poorly designed?). The current is the same on the cable, we checked it with a meter. 3 hours is a bit short, especially when flying online.

What do you think? Is it normal on Cable Link?

Not for me. My experience with my Q3 mirrors yours, where it will lose 10-20% of its charge after 1 or 2 hours of DCS while using link. I'd think it's either the cable or the power delivery from the USB port, but then I'm not sure after the results from your meter test may indicate otherwise.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

Not for me. My experience with my Q3 mirrors yours, where it will lose 10-20% of its charge after 1 or 2 hours of DCS while using link. I'd think it's either the cable or the power delivery from the USB port, but then I'm not sure after the results from your meter test may indicate otherwise.

Yep same for me. Roughly 3 hours is usually around 25% battery drain. Link cable plugged into x670E. Pretty sure the variances are down to what the usb port delivers. 

• Like 1

Your meter probably gave you volts, but not the amps or watts. One test is to swap cables, and then swap computers.

The Q3 needs 18w but USB-C is giving you 15w (5v x 3A) which is why they slowly discharge. Sounds like you PC or cable is giving you less than 3A. My first guess and easiest fix would be the cable.

You did say "current" was measured but I suspect you meant volts unless you have a specific tester for USB. I've been looking at getting one of those myself.

Edited by Maddaawg
  • Like 1