"Problems" with civilian traffic (too fast)

Hiob

Hi,

lately I observed the issue on the Sinai Map, but I think it's a core feature (problem) of DCS. The civilian traffic moves to fast - especially in the cities - which is pretty immersion breaking when flying in a helicopter.

Even when the speed is technically correct (which I doubt though), since the cars don't slow down when cornering, it looks comical. That is even more obvious with trucks.

I know, and I don't suggest to implement a sophisticated traffic simulation - that would probably suffocate the performance for good.

My Suggestion would be, to slow the traffic down. Significantly. Like by 50% or so.

In a real City, even when the Speed limit is 50, the average actual speed is half of that - at best.

Also, slower movement gives weight and inertia to objects - it may even help to sell the civilian traffic as more "real".

@OnReTech As I said, I don't think that is unique to your Map, but it was pretty obvious there in Cairo.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 3

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• Hiob changed the title to "Problems" with civilian traffic (too fast)

Hi @Hiob. I've just checked: civilian traffic speed is a steady 70 khp.

Lowering this speed to 50 kph would help in big cities, but at the same time it would look ridiculous on highways. Tough choice...

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

3 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Hi @Hiob. I've just checked: civilian traffic speed is a steady 70 khp.

Lowering this speed to 50 kph would help in big cities, but at the same time it would look ridiculous on highways. Tough choice...

but 70 kph is waaay to fast for cities. I think we can agree on that. 😁

As I said, it's a compromise. Cornering with 70 kph (regardless of inner city or outer) simply is ridiculous. 

On a side note - I jusr recently read in some other context that a fellow pilot who does a lot of convoy stuff, deactivates civ. traffic completely, because it interferes with the convoys anyway.

I guess, adjusting the speed is a lesser task - maybe we can just test a lower speed and if it causes problems or is disliked in the community we go back?

Pretty please!!!! 😊🤗

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I'd say DCS civilian traffic is already disliked by the community, mainly because:

• like you said, cars look clumsy with their constant speed even in turns,
  • cars don't disappear when reaching the end of a road, they do an instant turn instead (at 70 kph),
  • obstacles don't stop cars, not even an aircraft.
  • cars are not synced in MP,
  • some say they ruin performance, I'm not so sure about this one,
  • in some terrains, "ghost" (semi-transparent) cars are visible.

I think it would be better if ED could redo the whole thing.

• Like 5

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

5 minutes ago, Flappie said:

I'd say DCS civilian traffic is already disliked by the community, mainly because:

• like you said, cars look clumsy with their constant speed even in turns,
  • cars don't disappear when reaching the end of a road, they do an instant turn instead (at 70 kph),
  • obstacles don't stop cars, not even an aircraft.
  • cars are not synced in MP,
  • some say they ruin performance, I'm not so sure about this one,
  • in some terrains, "ghost" (semi-transparent) cars are visible.

I think it would be better if ED could redo the whole thing.

I haven't noticed a significant impact on performance (traffic low). But may be that is an issue on more bottlenecked systems. Everything else you wrote is of course true, but I'd say one major "issue" of the maps is, that they alread look rather lifeless. Personally I would miss the civ. traffic.

I certainly won't reject a major redo, but realisticly that is probably rather low priority. (I assume).

The speed is merely a quick and dirty (and cheap) improvement in my opinion. 🙃

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 2:03 PM, Flappie said:

Right, if there's only one speed available then I'd stay with the one we have. But... maybe there could be developed a speed change in the city zones. It's of course a wishlist item. First make zones for the cities in all maps, then make cars go slower in the zones.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 minutes ago, draconus said:

Right, if there's only one speed available then I'd stay with the one we have. But... maybe there could be developed a speed change in the city zones. It's of course a wishlist item. First make zones for the cities in all maps, then make cars go slower in the zones.

Good idea. 50 kph would still be too fast though.

And I completely agree, that the whole topic is a low priority item. (I hoped that it is also low effort......)

• Like 1