DCS: WWII Assets Pack - B-17G Livery Competition

23 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Just an update, it looks like the team will not commit any changes to the template or related right now. So please submit your entries within the limits of the template itself. Sorry all. 

Is it impossible to get decent looking NM skins without mods or roughmets or are we in a place where there is better tech availaible on other modules but the B17 can still look ok using whats there?  Asking as the stock B17 is grey without mods so its seems its not possible. Which makes holding a competion and ruling out anything but stock odd to say the least.

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I would love to see the colors of the Brazilian Air Force on the B-17. Does anyone qualify? Thanks!

Boeing+B-17++-++www.armasnacionais.com+%
https://www.armasnacionais.com/2016/09/fortalezas-voadoras-na-fab.html

• Like 1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

That's really too bad, and pretty short sighted of the decision makers at ED, if I can respectfully say so.   

There's literally no point in me submitting mine. It would look like wierd glossy grey, wet paint.  The current build is broken.  Even by Specular standards.  A real shame. 

Doesn't Nick Grey want to see real looking paint/metal B-17s in the sim?  We've already provided the solution and offered to give it to ED for free.  I'm actually not shocked that this was the response (I kind of expected it), but I had some hope that perhaps there was a chance this would yield the best outcome.  Oh well.  Thanks anyway for trying Nineline.  I know you were hoping for an improvement as well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

1 hour ago, Mach3DS said:

Thanks anyway for trying Nineline.  I know you were hoping for an improvement as well.  

Yes, disappointing although that was my expectation as well and why I kept to painted aircraft. At least the bare aluminum on Thunderbird would have been dull and is not as affected by the ancient rendering currently in place.

• Like 1

The only consolation is olive drab or any fully painted aircraft looks ok.

I’ve made all my specs as roughmets so they can be used as such for those that want to change the lua and such after downloading.

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

• ED Team
9 hours ago, Urbi said:

With all the frustration about the grievance with the model, think of the competition. meet the criteria of ED. it doesn't matter what your liveries look like with the SPECULAR. there are already very appealing liveries that were presented here. If you don't take part in the competition, someone else will and they will win with a not so good livery. 10 come to choose from. the great artists from the Liverie Art Group haven't shown anything yet and are probably waiting until the last second. the liveries of "II.JG1_Vonrd" is already a benchmark for a selection for the first places.

Yes, I hope people still make an effort and we get some good liveries regardless of the issues. Still a lot of room to make some great skins here. Thanks all that take part.

• Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The template is a PSB file and im a low life free loading gimp user. 

Can anyone suggest a way to convert it withut subscribing to photoshop in the first instance?

Thanks in advance

(Im considering as entry or perhaps just a skin for upload but only after i complete my entry in the "Paint a Ferrarri F1 livery without using the colour Red" competition)

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

On 7/3/2023 at 4:41 AM, Awacs_bandog said:

I'll have Texas Raiders uploaded to User files by tomorrow.

image.png

image.pngimage.png

Actual Aircraft

image.png

Generic Pattern

image.png

Love me some olive drab, they look way better than the Bling-17s imo. Nice work fella 👌

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Urbi said:

Thanks @Urbi and @Megalax

EDIT ooooooo - its a bit....complicated. Doubt id have time to work all that out before the end of august. But thanks anyway. One for future.

Edited by Boosterdog

I decided to plugh on and am currently in the socnd day of chipping and patching my reditions of Swap Fire and Out House Mouse. . Id not given any though to how I export the files or view em.  Are there any tips on guides for it. Im a bit befuddles as to how I split the template into it ssections and what export settings to use. Any help deeply appreciated. 

49 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

I decided to plugh on and am currently in the socnd day of chipping and patching my reditions of Swap Fire and Out House Mouse. . Id not given any though to how I export the files or view em.  Are there any tips on guides for it. Im a bit befuddles as to how I split the template into it ssections and what export settings to use. Any help deeply appreciated. 

Let's not disturb this place. You can write to me privately.

• Thanks 1

Here is My 2nd entry to the Livery Competition (not sure We are allowed more than one)

'Calamity Jane' - 92nd BG, 326th BS, Podington, Stn 109, Bedfordshire England 1944

Aircrew  

2/Lt A.A. Lindstrom, Pilot
  2/Lt G. Davis, Co Pilot
  2/Lt F. McGeary, Navigator
  2/Lt M.J. Rosenkrantz, Bomber
  S/Sgt L.H. Jodoin, Top Turrent Gunner
  Sgt R.G. Dutton, Ball Turret Gunner
  Sgt R.W. Lessard, Waist Gunner
  Sgt R.W. Jerome Jr, Tail Gunner
  S/Sgt K. Bovanizer, Radio Operator

DOWNLOAD:  B-17G 'Calamity Jane' - 92nd BG, 326th BS, Podington, Stn 109 , Bedfordshire England,1944 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Please Note the improved Metallic look in the screenshots  were achieved with a MOD  available here:  

Calamity Jane 2.jpg

Calamity Jane 3.jpg

Calamity Jane 4.jpg

Calamity Jane 5.jpg

Calamity Jane 6.jpg

Calamity Jane 7.jpg

Calamity Jane 1.jpg

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 11

This is a submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. It includes two skins, one a detailed 'Texas Chubby' and one plain and without the distinguishing markings of 'Texas Chubby". It is a generic B-17G of the 322nd BG, 91st BS as specified in the competition rules. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR. The detailed skin depicts Serial number 42-31634, a B-17G-25-DL, code: LG-O, nicknamed "Texas Chubby - The J'Ville Jolter". The plane flew 50 combat missions with the 322nd Bombardment Squadron of the 91st Bombardment Group. Attacked by German fighters on 16-Aug-44 while on a mission to bomb aircraft factories at Halle, Germany and blew up in mid-air. Crashed in the Forest of Mollenfelde at Eichenberg/Thurlingen, Germany with 5KIA and 4POW.

Fate of the crew: Pilot 1Lt Halstead Sherrill (KIA) CoPpilot 2Lt Frank J. Gilligan (POW) Navigator 2Lt William M. Porter (POW) Bombardier 2Lt Nicholas J. Weber (KIA) Engineer/TTG Sgt Vernon E. Bauerline (KIA) Radio Operator SSgt Richard J. Munkwitz (POW) Ball Turret Enrique T. Perez (KIA) Waist SSgt Joseph R. Morrison (KIA) Tail Gun SSgt Chester W. Mis (POW).

Submitted to User Files and awaiting approval.

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

006.JPG

007.jpg

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 10

On 7/29/2023 at 8:54 AM, Urbi said:

Dear ED team. I wrote about the competition that the users should take part in the competition despite the mistakes in the B-17G and recognize ED's conditions on these, I just don't think it's okay if, for example, a Warlord64 used pictures to present his contribution used, which he created with a manipulated JSON. This gives the wrong picture for those who are not familiar with the JSON issue. it is unfair to the other participants. Unfortunately, it is not possible to create a metallic shine for the B-17G under the current conditions.

Firstly there is no mention in the rules that Mods are not allowed the only condition is that the Official Template is used also there was no intention to deceive anyone  with the screenshots   due to the fact the JSON Mod  was posted in the  B-17G Modding Forum prior to the competition and is freely available for anyone to Download and use  as they see fit and that includes Screenshots and Videos.

However, for full disclosure  purposes  I will add a link to the New JSON  Modded file with My entries so that the end user will have the option of  either the Default Spec or the updated version

And You say "it is not possible to create a metallic shine for the B-17G under the current conditions"   well obviously there is  its called a Mod  and every other DCS Module has them, they are Fan or end user adaptations/ improvements to the original product and sometimes but not always they may be  adopted by the Game maker and added as a Patch in  Future Updates.

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Urbi said:

don't think it's okay if, for example, a Warlord64 used pictures to present his contribution used, which he created with a manipulated JSON. This gives the wrong picture for those who are not familiar with the JSON issue.

I'm sure that the Devs are well aware of the shine issue and am also sure that they will be looking at the submitted skins IN GAME when evaluating for voting. @Warlord64's posting of pictures won't affect the voting but just show what is actually possible. Individuals can then decide how they want to view that skin. However, the modded JSON makes painted skins way too shiny. It's an either / or until / if ED decides to make it PBR.

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd