DCS: WWII Assets Pack - B-17G Livery Competition Template improvement Discussion

11 hours ago, Mach3DS said:

That's because you're supposed to edit the external materials using the texture.  Not the Json.  So delete the json, then edit the specs.  This will give you full control.  

Yes, agreed.  People can use whatever method they please.  The point is that it's silly to keep using a system that is long obsolete, and the best solution is quite simple to implememt.

Hi Mach3DS

The Work around I did with the JSON  file was just to take the Glossy Grey Default Skin and give it a proper Metallic finish and because the JSON  is a root texture file it will by default automatically apply the change to ALL the skins in the Liveries folder  the same way the original JSON file did.

This was just a way of vastly  improving the already existing Model basis but still allowing folks to implement their own skins with either Spec or RM.

Even if ED does implement RMs Not everyone has the time, inclination or ability(Me for One) to go into every individual skin and tweak the Channels RGB   of every RM dds.

Regards

Keith

Edited by Warlord64

Keith, I think everyone understands the nature of your workaround and it's awesome, but still - unless ED reaches to you (or any of the guys who propose various workarounds in this thread) to adopt the customized json as an official file in one of next OB updates, then all this magnificent work presented here is drain-worthy waste of time for average DCS customer, 'cause these NM skins just won't look correctly in the game.

The fact that even NL didn't get a proper response from the team about this issue is concerning.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 4

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

15 minutes ago, Art-J said:

Keith, I think everyone understands the nature of your workaround and it's awesome, but still - unless ED reaches to you (or any of the guys who propose various workarounds in this thread) to adopt the customized json as an official file in one of next OB updates, then all this magnificent work presented here is drain-worthy waste of time for average DCS customer, 'cause these NM skins just won't look correctly in the game.

The fact that even NL didn't get a proper response from the team about this issue is concerning.

Thanks Art-J

Agreed and I totally understand every ones frustrations especially with all the time they have invested in making these excellent skins, We will just have to wait and see what ED response is going to be.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Warlord64 said:

Hey Guys

The Pilot normalmap  is Haunted😱

A little off topic but has anyone else noticed the ghostly faces on the Aircrews Leather  Jackets.😄

B-17 Pilots Jacket Face.jpg

This is amazing lol

Here is the reason why: 

image.png

the pilot body arguments use the headset normals and specs.

Edited by Megalax
  • Like 1

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

On 7/13/2023 at 5:22 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

With the modified json file the whole damn plane is shiny. I've stuck with the default json since it is what it will be after every update. I haven't tried deleting the json. This is why ED needs to get a handle on this and implement PBR / Roughmets. They initiate a skin competition with hands tied behind our backs. 

Sorry if I'm being harsh but this has been an extremely frustrating experience for me. I'm very serious about doing the best skins that I can.

Hi  II.JG1_Vonrd

For Bare Metal Unpainted Surfaces with the Specular Template

What I would say about  "the modified json file the whole damn plane is shiny"  this can be because of the tone of the base colour of the Spec.dds skin  for example When Making the Specular Skins  the base colour needs to be almost White for the Mirror Effect ( fffbff )   and  a Medium Mauve ( c03ed0) for Medium Shine and Dull Mauve( 9c66a3) for  Brushed Effect BUT variations of Mauve  will give contrasting results so just experiment with  it.

Also For the Diffuse.dds  Skin base colour I use is a light Grey (949694)  but variations of grey will  also give contrasting results.

Decals  I Recommend   Light Brown (886d29) which has just enough sheen to stop Haloing  around larger  Decals and National Markings

however  for very small lettering/Bomb Kill markings  etc   DO NOT create a layer for these as this WILL cause Haloing.

For Painted Surfaces with the Specular Template

To achieve a Matt Painted Surface I Recommend a Dark Green (23cb23)

The Default B-17G  Skin and any previously made Custom skins  appearance will also be  dictated by these factors.

Regards

Keith

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Thanks @Warlord64 for sending me an example of how to make the specs work with the JSON MOD. I'm going to edit the already submitted files and also incorporate them in a couple of new skins that are currently in work.

Happy to oblige Rick, looking forward to seeing the New Skins

Another tip: The letters "JW" should not be present in your Generic Paint either.

why not? The letters JW represent the bomb squadron not the individual aircraft.

only the letter G and serial number needs to be removed.

• Like 1

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

image.png

Edited by Helles Belle

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

@NineLine  Quick question if I may regarding the blank skins. Are they to be devoid of all marking save for national insignia or a stripped down version with Bomb Goup codes but no Squadron codes or serials?

Additionally, given the stipulation to use the template is it acceptable to replace the wheel and prop dds files also? 

Thanks

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

On 8/4/2023 at 12:06 AM, Boosterdog said:

Quick question if I may regarding the blank skins. Are they to be devoid of all marking save for national insignia or a stripped down version with Bomb Goup codes but no Squadron codes or serials?

Additionally, given the stipulation to use the template is it acceptable to replace the wheel and prop dds files also? 

Thanks

Hi Boosterdog

The rules state  "If you do a specific livery with nose art and aircraft name, please also include a generic version with no nose art, aircraft name and bort numbers. (Why? This will give users more options in missions for both SP and MP) So each entry should have 2 versions".  Which I have done 

I interperate  Generic  to mean an aircraft of the Same BG and BS without any individual markings such as Nose Art, Designation Letter or Serial Codes as shown in screenshots.

However I have  also added a No Codes so alternative Bomber Squadrons with the same Vertical Stabiliser  92nd BG Markings  can be added such as the 407th 

If this is wrong then I am sure NineLine  will Correct Me.

Hope this Helps

Regards

Keith

PHOTO MAIN.JPG

PHOTO GENRIC.JPG

NO CODES.JPG

Edited by Warlord64
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Warlord64 said:

Hi Boosterdog

The rules state  "If you do a specific livery with nose art and aircraft name, please also include a generic version with no nose art, aircraft name and bort numbers. (Why? This will give users more options in missions for both SP and MP) So each entry should have 2 versions". 

I interperate  Generic  to mean an aircraft of the same BG and BS without any individual markings such as Nose Art, Designation Letter or Serial Codes as shown in screenshots.

Hope this Helps

Regards

Keith

Thanks Keef. I took as just the bomb group codes. Perhaps @NineLine can clarify.  Im a long way off the codes though. Had a week of fettlingt he templlate and exploring rabbit holes various. Ready for weathering next. That'll be another week.  Doesnt help that Im learning the DCS skinning way, Photoshop and the Model viewer all at once. 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

18 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Thanks Keef. I took as just the bomb group codes. Perhaps @NineLine can clarify.  Im a long way off the codes though. Had a week of fettlingt he templlate and exploring rabbit holes various. Ready for weathering next. That'll be another week.  Doesnt help that Im learning the DCS skinning way, Photoshop and the Model viewer all at once. 

👍No Problem Mate, Wow  You have taken a lot on in one Go with all these Rabbit Holes.😱

We all have to start somewhere so Good Luck and look forward to seeing some great skins.

Regards

Keefyboy

6 hours ago, Warlord64 said:

👍No Problem Mate, Wow  You have taken a lot on in one Go with all these Rabbit Holes.😱

We all have to start somewhere so Good Luck and look forward to seeing some great skins.

Regards

Keefyboy

I think just "a skin".  I want to get the weathering as accurate as possible for where photos exists. So far Im up to just under 200 minor alterations and corrections to the template for the base skin (mostly personal taste and altering baked items for the OD scheme) but i think its there now. The actual livery only took an evening from scratch but there's some artistic licence as the panels on on the model dont match the specific B17 exactly.  Getting my head around the cowls is also taking my ageing brain a while.  

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 7:44 PM, Urbi said:

Unfortunately, some people don't understand what the generic finishes are supposed to achieve. In the specific case of Warlord64, the bomber group he created had the opportunity to display the 4 associated squadrons with a generic livery. ED will provide decals for this possibility in an update. It is always only a unit of 3 numbers and letters. So there will be 2 times 3 the first 3 for the letters and the other 3 for the last serial numbers. Of course, several blocks of 3 would also be possible, so that the serials could be specified with 6 numbers. On the A-20G there is a 3rd block with another option at the fuselage end for a number or letter. All of these are assigned with args. I would like ED to give certain args assignments a texture assignment as well, like it did for the serials of the A-20G. With this, ED would enable another possibility of historical reproduction. This depiction of mine is not mere wisdom on my part, but knowledge gained from using existing generic liveries, such as the A-20G and C-47 of WWII AI aircraft.

The rules state  "If you do a specific livery with nose art and aircraft name, please also include a generic version with no nose art, aircraft name and bort numbers. (Why? This will give users more options in missions for both SP and MP) So each entry should have 2 versions".  Which I have done 

I interperate  Generic  to mean an aircraft of the Same BG and BS without any individual markings such as Nose Art, Designation Letter or Serial Codes as shown in screenshots.

However I have  also added a No Codes so alternative Bomber Squadrons with the same Vertical Stabiliser 92nd BG Markings  can be added such as the 407th 

PHOTO MAIN.JPG

PHOTO GENRIC.JPG

NO CODES.JPG

Edited by Warlord64

On 8/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Ugh... Looks like I need to update my plain skins again.

@NineLine , is Warlord64 correct with his "No Codes" example?

Hi Rick

To cover all bases I put one of each in with Both entries that way it should cover  ED  rules and also

give the end user more choices 

Main Skin  - Generic -  No Codes

Regards

Keith

PHOTO MAIN.JPG

PHOTO GENRIC.JPG

NO CODES.JPG

Edited by Warlord64

• 4 weeks later...