An option to make Castle Switch Depress not necessary

Falken2

I just began the process to try to learn and understand the whole stuff, but from where I stand, castle switch depress is only necessary to make HUD in control ? (press castel switch depress and then castle switch up). Idon't really understand why.

Problem is : many of us probably don't have HOTAS with many four ways + depress switches.

Could we have an option to make castle switch depress to make HUD in control not necessary (only castle switch UP) ?

On 7/11/2023 at 8:36 AM, Falken2 said:

I just began the process to try to learn and understand the whole stuff, but from where I stand, castle switch depress is only necessary to make HUD in control ? (press castel switch depress and then castle switch up). Idon't really understand why.

Problem is : many of us probably don't have HOTAS with many four ways + depress switches.

Could we have an option to make castle switch depress to make HUD in control not necessary (only castle switch UP) ?

Castle switch up changes master mode between AA and AG

• Like 1

Castle switch up changes master mode between AA and AG

OK Thanks. 

I really don't understand the ergonomics of the fighter cockpits, be it F/A-18, F-16, F-15, ... . Did Boeing, Lookheed, ... engineers really study the ergonomics like "OK we must design a cockpit where everything seems natural, efficient in combat, easy to learn and remember". Or do they like I do in DCS with my gear : "OK I have this HOTAS with these switches, how can I map the most convenient way the functions I need".

(The same with MFDs : look the Hornet, where the alert messages override the bottom of the page of the LEFT MFD, even if it masks valuable informations. Couldn't they do better ? Was it coded by an intern ? Such bad design for a fighter that is worth millions dollars and goes to war. Can't understand.)

On 7/13/2023 at 6:52 AM, Falken2 said:

OK Thanks. 

I really don't understand the ergonomics of the fighter cockpits, be it F/A-18, F-16, F-15, ... . Did Boeing, Lookheed, ... engineers really study the ergonomics like "OK we must design a cockpit where everything seems natural, efficient in combat, easy to learn and remember". Or do they like I do in DCS with my gear : "OK I have this HOTAS with these switches, how can I map the most convenient way the functions I need".

(The same with MFDs : look the Hornet, where the alert messages override the bottom of the page of the LEFT MFD, even if it masks valuable informations. Couldn't they do better ? Was it coded by an intern ? Such bad design for a fighter that is worth millions dollars and goes to war. Can't understand.)

'Ergonomics' was a bad word in the 90's 😄 Among all the US 4th gen aircraft, the A-10C HOTAS was completely overhauled more recently, that's why it's more ergonomic.

From what I'm hearing, sometime before Suite 4, you took command of HUD, MPDs and MPCD the same way, by pressing castle in, then in any direction.  The long-press adopted for the MPD's and MPCD and for a brief time both methods work, but in Suite for, they got rid of the castle in for the displays and changed them to long-presses.  Why they didn't do that with the HUD is beyond me.

As a workaround, Joystick Gremlin has a 'Tempo' function to translate long-presses into a different output, you may want to poke around with that