Recommended curves on the Virpil collective with the new engine thing?

Using the collective my Huey either shoots into the air or plummets, having a real hard time finding stable hover or slow descent on my collective now.

I usually don't use curves, but seems like I might need that now. Any recommendations?

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

29 minutes ago, admiki said:

Problem with your case is that power required will depend on a lot of factors (weight, temp, altitude). 

Are you sure you have full travel available?

Yes, this happend after the engine "update" 

I've never had that problem, no matter what state the Huey or pressure outside was.

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Yes, this happend after the engine "update" 

I've never had that problem, no matter what state the Huey or pressure outside was.

No, what I mean are you sure that DCS sees full travel of your collective. This seems like double binding or oversensitive axis.  Is Huey only helicopter you have problems with?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, admiki said:

No, what I mean are you sure that DCS sees full travel of your collective. This seems like double binding or oversensitive axis.  Is Huey only helicopter you have problems with?

I rebound the axis. No difference. 

Huey is the only one I have problems with. But Huey is also the helicopter I'm most "proficient " in and flown the most. So I'm not sure I would notice the difference in the Apache (which has its own flight model problems) I haven't tried the Hind in a long time. And I've only just gotten the Gazelle  so wouldn't notice anything was wrong there either.

57 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I rebound the axis. No difference. 

Huey is the only one I have problems with. But Huey is also the helicopter I'm most "proficient " in and flown the most. So I'm not sure I would notice the difference in the Apache (which has its own flight model problems) I haven't tried the Hind in a long time. And I've only just gotten the Gazelle  so wouldn't notice anything was wrong there either.

The Gazelle is of course not one to compare to yet.

I haven't tried the updated Huey yet. You have the Virpil collective? What numbers do you see when raising lovering the collective in the Virpil app compared to the Windows joystick app? And even better, does the numbers add up to the animation and the controls indicator. With that I mean, does the numbers move accordingly? 

In any case, I'd say having curves on throttles and collectives are detrimental. 

Cheers! 

14 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

Using the collective my Huey either shoots into the air or plummets, having a real hard time finding stable hover or slow descent on my collective now.

I usually don't use curves, but seems like I might need that now. Any recommendations?

I actually had time to test it now. I'm sorry buddy, but I had no issues at all. Just smooth with the collective up/down, made smooth take off, smooth landings. Really easy actually, so I don't really know what to say. Re-check axis conflicts or be even smoother.
If the track works I have to admit I got a little careless at the end. 😜

Huey new engine update test.trk

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the chance to test the new changes last week: it did take some getting used to at first yes, but after a few minutes I was once again flying under bridges, landing on an oil platform in nasty weather, ...
Perhaps it helps to adjust the tension on your collective: I find that with Virpil products (I use them as well) it makes a ton of difference if you can get the tension *just right* 🙂 

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 7/12/2023 at 7:22 AM, Gunfreak said:

Hello, I had this same problem you commented on a post I made. I use all Virpil Gear and have a Virpil Collective and a Mongoos T50 for fixed wing. MY POINT IS. I had a bad Cable on my Collective AT the point of the USB cable connection to the Collective. My Metal Connector end was damaged. Part of it is very thin and cracked and finally cracked around to split in two parts. I got a New Cable and all is well now. I now Disconnect my Cable from the USB connection AT the Collective when Not in use to prevent that hookup from any hits that will damage it again. Make sure Your Cable is not the Issue. Also make sure your Motherboard "chipset" drivers are up to date from AMD or Intel. Motherboard Bios update also as I had updated to a AMD 5800x3D with a AMD 5000 series Bios Update for my x570 MB but took it out for bad performance issue 2 month ago only to find out this month the x570 x gaming MB just put out a new Bios update for that 5800x3D CPU wtf? So I updated it and put it back in. Thanks Gigabyte. It test very good now.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:22 PM, Gunfreak said:

Try recalibrating the Virpil Collective I've done that a few times.

Huey is very different after the engine update imo, it needs relearning on the collective.

I also added a Powered USB3 hub and now all my Controls are through that. A lot of them were into Older USB ports

Regards

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

23 minutes ago, Marshallman said:

Try recalibrating the Virpil Collective I've done that a few times.

Huey is very different after the engine update imo, it needs relearning on the collective.

I also added a Powered USB3 hub and now all my Controls are through that. A lot of them were into Older USB ports

Regards

It might have changed on where exactly you need collective for any particular phase of flight, but relearning the collective is a bit exagerated IMO.

So you are pulling exactly the same collective as you did prior to the engine update???

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

No, but you never do pull the same amount anyway. Mission weight, temp, altitude changes all the time, so you never were pulling "2.354 inches from bottom to get to hover".

You fly and move controls as needed to get helicopter where you want it, there was never a formula with exact position of each control.

Yes, there are changes in required power, but you saying that you need to relearn collective makes it sound like you now need to move collective sideways to get to hover.

Not at all, just the minor adjustments required for the engine change

Just checked it out of curiosity - it works just fine. It feels a little different, but nothing radical at all. No curves (on any module, actually) and I'm fine.

Using Virpil collective as well.

Hopefully by this point your problem is solved? Was it just the change that threw you off or was it an actual hardware problem?

• Like 1
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)