Upgrade AMD Ryzen5 5600X to Ryzen7 5800X3D - literal game changer?

Dear all,

I'm contemplating doing the CPU upgrade, as the Ryzen7 5800X3D is the hottest CPU my mainboard supports (currently sporting 32Gigs of RAM). I use an RTX3070 GPU and play single-player in VR with a Reverb G2, have already enjoyed significant fps and quality benefits from the multithread open beta. The fps counter shows 'CPU limited', which motivates my question - do you think the juice is worth the squeeze?

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Tobse!

• Like 1

FWIW I do a lot of flying on Enigma's Cold War server, which is very CPU dependent. The difference between the 5600X and 5800X3D was night and day, and really worth the cost.

Edited by Cab
  • Like 2

The 3D-cached CPUs from AMD have thoroughly proven to be a huge step in Gaming-Performance. Personally I won't switch from a 5900X to a 5800X3D*, because I do something else apart from gaming on my PC, but from a 5600X to a 5800X3D would be a no-brainer for me.

(*though I'm still tempted from time to time...)

Side note: From the testing I did once with a 5800X3D, you can expect 20-25% CPU-frametime improvement (that was compared to the 5900X, but that should be comparable in DCS-VR) 

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

40 minutes ago, Tobse said:

Thank you all! I just ordered the CPU and will hopefully manage to mount it without making a mess next weekend, looking forward to smoother rides.

Take care,

Tobse

Pick a good thermal paste and don't be cheap with the amount you apply. The Hotspots on Ryzen CPUs are off-center - therefore the usual "pea sized blob in the middle" could be insufficiant. More can be a mess but it doesn't give any issues apart from that. So be generous! 😁

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

11 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Pick a good thermal paste and don't be cheap with the amount you apply. The Hotspots on Ryzen CPUs are off-center - therefore the usual "pea sized blob in the middle" could be insufficiant. More can be a mess but it doesn't give any issues apart from that. So be generous! 😁

Thanks, its been a while since I did something like that.

Take care,

Tobias

• Like 1

So, I managed to put in the new CPU without any drama and can definitely see an improvement in fps and overall smoothness, happily trying out all kinds of planes and mission setting.

Thus I'll join the club recommending this kind of upgrade!

Take care,

Tobse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobse said:

So, I managed to put in the new CPU without any drama and can definitely see an improvement in fps and overall smoothness, happily trying out all kinds of planes and mission setting.

Thus I'll join the club recommending this kind of upgrade!

Take care,

Tobse!

Cool! Have fun with it!

• Like 1

Just to add to this; because of this thread I decided to make the exact same change over the weekend. So far it seems very worth it. In Liberation/Retribution missions, it went from 50's to 120's (fps). I'm using it with a 3080ti and it seems to be constantly switching between cpu bound and gpu bound which is where I want it.  (edit: this is pancake QHD)

Thank to everyone for the advice.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 1

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

I'm gonna make this simple for anyone else:

If you already have an 5600+, and you only play 1080p Single Screen 60Hz, Simple Missions and Console Ports, You wont see anything.

Now, if you play DCS, CyberPunk, at Higher Resolutions, with Ray tracing, 3 Screens, 4K VR, etc Get the 5800X3D when it's on sale for ~$230 USD. Paying $400 for it, assuming you dont need a backup rig/cpu and cant sell the old one, $400 is a steep price for the amount of performance gained.

Now, if you do the above and you are on a older AMD 2000, 3000 Series CPU and your mainboard supports it, Do It, especially when it's on sale.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:07 AM, Hiob said:

The 3D-cached CPUs from AMD have thoroughly proven to be a huge step in Gaming-Performance. Personally I won't switch from a 5900X to a 5800X3D*, because I do something else apart from gaming on my PC, but from a 5600X to a 5800X3D would be a no-brainer for me.

(*though I'm still tempted from time to time...)

Side note: From the testing I did once with a 5800X3D, you can expect 20-25% CPU-frametime improvement (that was compared to the 5900X, but that should be comparable in DCS-VR) 

5800X3D For Gaming
5900X For 4K Video Editing / Production Rigs.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs