Problem with Maverick align on the ground using TGP and BSGT

DarkSideMaster
Go to solution Solved by Carbon715,

4 hours ago, Falconeer said:

I think Mavericks and boresighting is fairly simple and easy to use.

If you hate it, its fine, you can use the Mavs without boresighting or use different weapons 🤷‍♂️

I'll use other weapons, I mean I'm 8 NM from target flying straight and level, nooo thanks :). 
Undefended hangar in the desert, sure ;). 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know i'm no Maverick master but I thank a lot of real life experts might question that video 🙂
How many mavericks have been fired in anger in the last 10 years ? 
Granted, we are simming late 90's 🙂

Nice shot btw. 

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

14 hours ago, Carbon715 said:

I made a video back in march i believe that goes over the boresighting with parallax and all that. Might help to make sense 

Great video!

I hope it helps folks to understand a) what the parrallex issue is and b) that Mav boresighting isn't that big of a deal.

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 6:38 AM, Furiz said:

This is a sim and simmers want accurate representation,

Er sorry, no.

Vast majority want a "close enough so I can ENJOY the sim". Not have to spend all their spare time learning 2 more career's (piloting and avionics science). I just knew that you lock the TGP to a point, lock maverick to the same point, BSGT button, repeat for second wing, Mavericks will now look at the same point as the TGP.

I had prior to a few updates ago been bore-sighting on the ground using the runway lights or a vehicle at the other end of the field. Did the procedure, and they centred perfectly. Flew out to target area and rippled of 6 Rifles at 6nm in a few seconds at a BMP column, just like the Carbon715 video above.

I'm not interested in this parallax phenomenon, just a means of set loadout, align seeker and go enjoy flying as many sorties as I can squeeze in my limited free time.

Since updating to 2.9, I can no longer get the maverick to align to the TGP at all whether it is on the ground or in the air. BSGT button is no longer aligning the seeker to the TGP rendering the mavericks useless except for VIS mode which is compounded by other DCS issues with drawing distances meaning I get time to launch 1 missile off then have to turn and fly away for 5 minutes to turn and come back. 6 mavericks at 10 mins a piece, means 1 mission and time to turn off.

As far as most people would view the bore-sighting is:

TGP - "I'm looking at this point"

Maverick - "hey I've turned to look at the same point"

TGP - "oh good that means now, if I look at this point you will see it too?"

Maverick - "oh yeh I can see that too".

TGP - "good, I will tell you what to look at then you can go destroy it".

Edited by Mearcat

• 1 month later...

@Lord Vader hi, is it possible that in the (near) future this maverick calibration (bsgt) will be auto-handled by some option in settings (just like "stored ins" or just like it is default when the plane starts in the air)? Just imagine daily MP scenario where u spawn hot on the ground:

1. load mavericks
  2. turn them on with tgp
  3. wait until they are turned on
  4. have to find something distant enough (>=2nm) that you can lock on
  5. have to do the calibration (bsgt) for both stations
  6. go to mission
  7. die or go to rearm
  8. do everything again

I love the game more than any other. I have most modules/planes installed but this is really pain in the bottom (bigger pain then immersion).

Edited by tr4fic

On 1/8/2024 at 4:55 PM, tr4fic said:

@Lord Vader hi, is it possible that in the (near) future this maverick calibration (bsgt) will be auto-handled by some option in settings (just like "stored ins" or just like it is default when the plane starts in the air)? Just imagine daily MP scenario where u spawn hot on the ground:

1. load mavericks
  2. turn them on with tgp
  3. wait until they are turned on
  4. have to find something distant enough (>=2nm) that you can lock on
  5. have to do the calibration (bsgt) for both stations
  6. go to mission
  7. die or go to rearm
  8. do everything again

I love the game more than any other. I have most modules/planes installed but this is really pain in the bottom (bigger pain then immersion).

You're supposed to align them when airborne as it is very difficult to find a target at up to 8nm on the ground. That way you also don't have to wait for all of this to be completed on the ground (TGP/mav warmup), but can just do it when you're already cruising towards your mission area and thus don't loose any time.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

You're supposed to align them when airborne as it is very difficult to find a target at up to 8nm on the ground. That way you also don't have to wait for all of this to be completed on the ground (TGP/mav warmup), but can just do it when you're already cruising towards your mission area and thus don't loose any time.

Well yes I can slew TGP on the friendly steerpoint/airport and find something to lock on on the way (if its close enough in mission direction otherwise I waste the time anyway like warming up on the ground)... I cannot imagine to do it on targets on hostile steerpoint/airbase where I need to watch for hostile air defence or hostile aircrafts and not boresighting mavericks... But that was not point of that question. Anyway thanks for response.

36 minutes ago, tr4fic said:

Well yes I can slew TGP on the friendly steerpoint/airport and find something to lock on on the way (if its close enough in mission direction otherwise I waste the time anyway like warming up on the ground)... I cannot imagine to do it on targets on hostile steerpoint/airbase where I need to watch for hostile air defence or hostile aircrafts and not boresighting mavericks... But that was not point of that question. Anyway thanks for response.

Why not just do it on the way to the mission area? Just pick some random buildings along the route while still outside the hostile area. That costs you no time at all.

Tornado3 small.jpg