Petrovic AI sometimes not aiming correctly with AT9-missiles

DST
Go to solution Solved by AeriaGloria,

Don´t know if it´s a bug or me being stupid again but petrovic AI sometimes just doesn´t "locks" on to selected target, it says "in reach" when I select target from list, but crosshair wanders aimlessly around instead of being nailed to selected ground target. I can fire missile, but it never hits, because of wandering crosshair. Is this bug or intentional behaviour I´m completely clueless again. What confuses me, sometimes it works, petrovic sight (the "crosshair") is slaved to ground target and hits target when firing, and sometimes is not, instead it´s wandering aimlessly around.

Playing in VR with MT preview.

I7 8700K 3.7 GHz 32GB RAM NVIDIA RTX 3080 Rift S

16 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

Do this happen in beginning of the flight? It is possible to break the sight by rolling more then 25-30 degrees, and will cause the sight gyros to not point correctly 

I know that rolling causes Petrovich AI to switch the sight off, and that it takes a while to get it working again after stabilizised heli back on target, but is it possible to actually break the whole device when banking too hard? That would explain why it works for a few hits and then never again:) so if it's intended this way, that would actually be pretty cool, as a realistic detail.

If it's rolling, you need to tell him to close sight before you roll. Sometimes he can't be quick enough and will mess up the gyros.

But your remark about wondering crosshair is more consistent with him losing LOS momentarily. Are targets behind any structures or trees?

No, targets were on open field. But if it is actually modelled in the Mi24 to mess up the gyros of gunners sight with heavy roll rates I'm pretty sure this is the problem I encountered here. Is there maybe a way to "repair" this in flight? Or do I have to land on airbase for this?

Not sure though BTW which command to use to tell AI to turn the sight off, because I always thought this is automatic behaviour from AI to turn it off when manouvering.

2 hours ago, DST said:

No, targets were on open field. But if it is actually modelled in the Mi24 to mess up the gyros of gunners sight with heavy roll rates I'm pretty sure this is the problem I encountered here. Is there maybe a way to "repair" this in flight? Or do I have to land on airbase for this?

Not sure though BTW which command to use to tell AI to turn the sight off, because I always thought this is automatic behaviour from AI to turn it off when manouvering.

You press “down short” to tell AI to close the sight. Then “up short” again to open it, which takes a 10 second time to spin up gyros again 

If gyros are broken, you can fix it by turning off ATGM missile system for 3.5 minutes, and then turning it back on and waiting 3.5 minutes, for a total of 7 minutes 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

And to do so, you need to switch to front seat. You can then issue prepare weapons comand again after time is up from back seat.

One note though, if you are flying high in the mountains, it's best that you take control of the helicopter the moment you switch to front seat. Let's say that Petro is less than capable flyer when high.

I believe you can only use comands for your own position. So, if DCS does not have a binding in Mi-24 pilot tab for that, even if keybind is the same, it will trigger action for pilot position.
Of course, that's what I thought. Kinda obvious really. Might dive into the DCS-BIOS setup for VA. That at least should be doable. Of course ED could just add a command for the pilot that makes Petrovich reset everything.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• ED Team

if you have a short track replay of it happening it would be great. 

Better if it can be reproduced in single player. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 10/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, BIGNEWY said:

if you have a short track replay of it happening it would be great. 

Better if it can be reproduced in single player. 

thanks

Thank you, but I am almost sure the solution for this problem was the messed up gyros because of rolling too hard with sight turned on. It didn't happen again when I turned sight off via AI menu button down right before doing heavy turns. Seems I have to be more careful with that in the future 🙂

I will provide track file if it happens again 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:05 AM, MAXsenna said:

Of course, that's what I thought. Kinda obvious really. Might dive into the DCS-BIOS setup for VA. That at least should be doable. Of course ED could just add a command for the pilot that makes Petrovich reset everything.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Had a front seater mess with my fuel gauge with DCS BIOS bindings, should work

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg