2.9 Frame Time Stuttering

noisy_lightning
Go to solution Solved by noisy_lightning,

Hardware: I5 10600K (OC), 3070TI, 32gb DDR4 3200 CL14, DCS on a Samsung 980Pro NVME. Running at 1440P. After updating I cleared the FXO and Metashaders2 folders as I normally do.

Updated to 2.9 last night, and tested with a mix of settings, DLSS on (with DLAA and without and tested most of the settings, qual, perf etc), DLSS Off with various AA options chosen. SSS was on throughout all testing.

The issue is not performance specifically. I was using the same Instant Action mission each test performance with each change in a "controlled" environment (F15E - Low Level (Day)). My FPS is high, and usually between 80-100fps. But the issue is significant and random frame time stuttering, which will last up to 1.5 seconds or so then continue back with the high FPS.

Disabling Vsync helped a little, but hasn't stopped it. The only thing I have yet to do is to update my drivers, but they are no older than 8 weeks at the most....

Any ideas for solutions? As with this stuttering it brings an otherwise flawlessly performing gaming session to being unplayable.

Edit: The in game FPS window says I am not bound by either CPU or GPU as it flicks between both equally.

Edited by noisy_lightning
Added Context

I have the same issue too. Even going back to MSAA (which used to be smooth) has unplayable stuttering. I'll post a log and track in discord when I get back home.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

I have done some testing tonight. Nothing I change settings wise has made it worse or better.

When I crashed though and had no aircraft to see I used my mouse scroll wheel to move the camera back and forth and it triggered all sorts of frame timing issues. I have free spinning wheel on my mouse so it can send constant commands, and that triggered the stuttering.

In addition, with zero aircraft loaded and still at the crash camera, any large input on my stick (virpil cm2 base with CA grip) and I got the same.

Its now my belief that my stuttering is coming from the usb devices saturating dcs. Enabling or disabling hotplug did nothing to fix it.

I'm having the same issue. Everything is fine, FPS is is pretty solid around 150 FSP which is extraordinary. I was getting about 90 FPS in 2.8. As I fly around a bit and get away from the airbase is when I start to notice. I can see the frames drop to 40 and then shoot right back up to 180 and drop again over and over. It's so fast it's hard to read the numbers so it may be even lower. Happens on several maps and aircraft.

My specs:
i7-13700K, 64 GB RAM, RTX-4080 @ 3840x2160,  2TB 990 PRO NVMe.

OS: Windows 10 64bit / MB: MSI Gamers Edge /CPU:Intel CORE I5 9600K @ 4.5 GHz/ RAM: 32 GB / Gfx: Geforce 980 GTX TI x2 in SLI /Drives:1 970 NVMe & 2x SSD RAID 0 /Joystick: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog/ TrackIR 5/Saitek Rudder

64GB 5600 DDR5
m.2 install.
Reverb G2

I was getting 90FPS on 2.8 now I'm getting close to 60. I've tried...
removing Metashader/FXO, reinstall DCS, disabling all open XR stuff, disabling e cores in bios, disabling certain CPU core affinity in taskman. I even went back and tried to set everything back to 2.8 settings as much as possible, still can get nearly the frames I used to. Any Ideas?

Edited by Skael

Skael - Did you check  if Vertical sync is enabled in Nvidia Control and in Game, or maybe Max frame rate? 

I may have found something and it may be with higher end PCs. If might be that we're hitting the theoretical FPS limit. I've noticed when it's normal it shows GPU Bound and shows a theor. limit which on mine is very high like 380 FPS where the actual FPS is around 180 (Seems to max out there for me.) When I was flying over water with little detail it would start to stutter, also zoomed on the panels, or F10 map would do it too. It would switch from GPU BOUND to CPU BOUND FPS LIMIT. Not sure if this is a 4k and 2K thing and may not affect 1080P? Disabling efficiency cores did not help.

I've set my max frame rate to 180 and background max to 180. Going to test some more, will advise.

Per Lange_666:
Default FPS is set to 180 FPS in Graphics.lua file in \Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config.

Will only help if you are hitting 180 FPS, thanks to Lange_666, helped me out for sure. 

Screenshot 2023-10-20 193709.png

Screenshot 2023-10-20 193816.png

546.png

Edited by Jimmytime

OS: Windows 10 64bit / MB: MSI Gamers Edge /CPU:Intel CORE I5 9600K @ 4.5 GHz/ RAM: 32 GB / Gfx: Geforce 980 GTX TI x2 in SLI /Drives:1 970 NVMe & 2x SSD RAID 0 /Joystick: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog/ TrackIR 5/Saitek Rudder

Please check this thread:

TL;DR

There is a possibility that one of your CPU core becomes crazy during DCS startup, causing random freeze even in main menu. If that is your case, you can disable said core before DCS is launched, then re-enable this core when you reach DCS main menu.

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Thanks Flappie.

That thread is 13 pages deep. Where in the thread or how do you disable the core? Setting the Max FPS to 180 seems to be working for me but that's only if you are reaching 180 FPS and theoretical CPU of 450 FPS, I think.

Edited by Jimmytime

13 hours ago, Jimmytime said:

Setting the Max FPS to 180 seems to be working for me but that's only if you are reaching 180 FPS and theoretical CPU of 450 FPS, I think.

Are you aware that DCS itself is limited to 180 FPS by default in its graphics.lua (maxfps = 180)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi all,

I'm having bad stuttering. I'm running on an AMD 5950X with 32GB Ram and a 3090 RTX card. Any ideas how to resolve this. 

Thank you

Edited by gizmo

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

7 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Are you aware that DCS itself is limited to 180 FPS by default in its graphics.lua (maxfps = 180)?

I was not aware, thank you. I will adjust, just thought it was a hard coded limit. I’m not sure I understand why it flips to CPU bound. Looking for a CPU max limit as well.

Same here. Happened in MT and non MT. I haven't changed any graphics settings and tried with only a FC3 plane in mission editor. No VR.

I rollbacked to 2.8 and the stuttering stopped. It's a 2.9 bug clearly.

My specs are quite simple:

7600k, 1060 6GB, 32 GB RAM. Installed on SSD.

Edited by Jaymz

Same problem here. All runs fine in MT-Mode before installing 2.9. Now massive stuttering and game freezes for more than 1 second!!

This is the same issue as in the begining of MT. After DCS has solved the problem, now - after the release of 2.9 - same problem - think it is caused by CPU-Core-usage (see below).

CPU.JPG

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

System: Win 11 Prof, 64 Bit, AMD 4350 Quad-Core, Gigabyte-Board 970A-UD3P, 16 GB-RAM; ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB - Nvidia Geforce

Some further testing tonight, and my previous post on input from devices causing it I no longer think is the cause.

VRAM is the cause. Whenever new textures are being loaded into the game such as flares or explosions its causing the problem. If for example I am flying low level in a valley and pop up, stuttering occurs, this is as it loads new textures in. I have tried lower preload settings though, and lower texture settings and nothing solves it.

To clarify, my 3070ti (8gb) ran 2.8 perfectly, with the same VRAM being capped out fully by DCS, it used to just spill over seamlessly to RAM, but now I seeing DCS not use all my system ram and stuttering like mad when it runs out of VRAM.

Never thought i would say this, but guess I am going to have to shelve DCS and stick with FS2020 till ED sort this out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, noisy_lightning said:

Whenever new textures are being loaded into the game such as flares or explosions its causing the problem.

That's nothing new, loading unused objects/textures like flares or explosions has been causing stutters since the very beginning of DCS.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

6 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

That's nothing new, loading unused objects/textures like flares or explosions has been causing stutters since the very beginning of DCS.

Not for me, up till last week 2.8 ran immaculately. I would rather sacrifice the uplift of 15-20% "Fps" in 2.9 I am getting now to get rid of the stutters which are new.

• Like 1