Now with Open Beta 2.9, ppl looking to upgrade CPU, What path would you take AMD or Intel?

Now with Open Beta 2.9, ppl looking to upgrade CPU, What path would you take AMD or Intel?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Trying to figure out if DCS likes more v-cache from AMD chips, or more cores and clock freq on Intel chips...

• AMD 7800x3d, 7850x3d and 7900x3d
    • Intel 13700k, 13900k, 14700k, 14900k

IMO, I don't think you'll notice much difference in performance (if any) with DCS, be it in 2D or VR, between AMD 7800x3d, 7850x3d or 7900x3d and Intel 13700k, 13900k, 14700k or 14900k....

So I'd say to get the combo deal (you have to consider motherboard, cooling and RAM) that gets to be the least expensive.

I also have to say that 14th gen is the least impressive release by Intel in years, 13th gen is actually better of a choice than before if discounts appear.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

49 minutes ago, LucShep said:

I also have to say that 14th gen is the least impressive release by Intel in years, 13th gen is actually better of a choice than before if discounts appear.

This. 14th is just a "refreshed" 13th with marginal improvements and higher price. Avoid for now.

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s anything in 2.9 that’s CPU related. DLSS is all GPU. Multicore is the default .exe but in that case you still want the strongest single core performance you can get, the speed of single cores still matters. That much hasn’t changed. 
Intel still has the edge here but not by much

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

agree with some of the commentary- I've been intel since 486 days. Recently I've looked at the 7800x3d and its performance in DCS, MSFS and some other CPU intensive/limited games. do the search specifically for performance for those specific scenarios, 7800x3d is the way to go. single core ( as per above is important for MANY applications and of course does support an overall multicore performance usage profile. But 3dvcache for sims is the hardware choice for performance currently - clock and ST IPC  used to be THE MOST important aspect before 3dv cache appeared with 5800

So given the above the $/perf ratio is  for gaming still the king here, on top of that in the 2 named applications above teh performance is better, power usage is waaaaay lower and you have a strong upgrade pathway next year to the updated 7800x3d ( 8800x3d?) 

you're not going to lose that much on getting intel but now with 14th gen ( and its decidly meh perf step)  your upgrade pathway is over, wrt to having to get new MB,  whereas amd give you that option next year to 8800x3d.

I'm currently running gigabyte aorus master, 7800x3d, 64GB cl30 600 mhz ( from teh QVL list) + gigabyte 4090 so its about as strong a system as you can get for Pimax crystal VR. 

so for simming my recommendation is 7800x3d with is large 3d vcache ( that the sims love) and you've got an upgrade route too for cpu upgrade that most sims are still starved for.

now the DLSS, and other AA tech is appearing , MT is going to get better and with Vulcan, DFR etc alll playing their part it's going to be easier to to keep the upgrade cycles longer.

happy simming P.

3 hours ago, plehmann said:

agree with some of the commentary- I've been intel since 486 days. Recently I've looked at the 7800x3d and its performance in DCS, MSFS and some other CPU intensive/limited games. do the search specifically for performance for those specific scenarios, 7800x3d is the way to go. single core ( as per above is important for MANY applications and of course does support an overall multicore performance usage profile. But 3dvcache for sims is the hardware choice for performance currently - clock and ST IPC  used to be THE MOST important aspect before 3dv cache appeared with 5800

So given the above the $/perf ratio is  for gaming still the king here, on top of that in the 2 named applications above teh performance is better, power usage is waaaaay lower and you have a strong upgrade pathway next year to the updated 7800x3d ( 8800x3d?) 

you're not going to lose that much on getting intel but now with 14th gen ( and its decidly meh perf step)  your upgrade pathway is over, wrt to having to get new MB,  whereas amd give you that option next year to 8800x3d.

I'm currently running gigabyte aorus master, 7800x3d, 64GB cl30 600 mhz ( from teh QVL list) + gigabyte 4090 so its about as strong a system as you can get for Pimax crystal VR. 

so for simming my recommendation is 7800x3d with is large 3d vcache ( that the sims love) and you've got an upgrade route too for cpu upgrade that most sims are still starved for.

now the DLSS, and other AA tech is appearing , MT is going to get better and with Vulcan, DFR etc alll playing their part it's going to be easier to to keep the upgrade cycles longer.

happy simming P.

with black friday so close, i should wait a month and open wallet. though im tempted to just get the 7800x3d now!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

FWIW, imho an AMD system is easier to handle and maintain than Intel chipset based systems. I run both myself and service a few dozen PC's at client sites. The AMD systems are just way easier to update with chipset drivers. It's a QoL feature but for some that may make a difference when finding a decision.

Actually, I cannot recall a single Intel system that I sold since Ryzen came out, really zero Intel...and I am no fan boy of either one, I just buy what I think is best and I only sell what I trust.

But tbh, I don't sell to customers anymore, it's only a BIG family and LOTS of friends that I still do actually build a rig for. If a customer needs 5 or 10 new Clients I give Dell a call, no kidding.

So it's been like 10 systems since then, but they are all happy, no complaints and easy maintenance for me via TeamViewer.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X