2.9 MT - DLSS greyed out and unselectable

eatthis

Just now, TheConqueror said:

I am using the standalone version. I just have a serious performance problem 🙂 Shouldn't DLSS normally increase performance? I know it's an Open Beta version, but it still seems interesting to me  🙂 I think it needs some fixing.

Shouldn't DLSS normally increase performance? 

Normally yes. If you are GPU-bounded.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/cpu-and-gpu-boundedness/

Your lowest perf was determined by the slowest part of your system. 

What upscaling(DLSS,FSR,NIS) does is, by rendering less resolution/pixels, offload some of the rendering (GPU's work) to the upscaling algorithm which will need more CPU.

However If you are in a CPU-bounded or I/O-bounded situation, like multiplayer or heavy missions. Your system might be slowed by the CPU. And meanwhile, DCS has some of bad optimization in some of places too. No upscaling can fix those things, either.

If I run in MT version on steam it defaults to my desktop monitor and not my VR.  Is there any way to rectify this? 

30 minutes ago, Insonia said:

Because this registry has nothing to do with the Steam launch option. it's unrelated with the logs you provided.

It's two separated cases.

Steam users must use the select launch option. 

You can click the "Always use this option". I personally oppose saving it because if it causing another issue in the future that you will not remember this setting. And the "Always use this option" only affects the Green "▶Play" button in steam.

Just Use the "Always ask for game launch option" in Steam and started with MT is the Steam solution. It's literally how steam works.

Stop messing around with Testing and debugging flags if you have never touched them before. 

It may cause nvlddmkm.sys errors. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys

When I do this it defaults to my monitor instead of my VR set. Is there any way around this? 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 minute ago, cobrabase said:

If I run in MT version on steam it defaults to my desktop monitor and not my VR.  Is there any way to rectify this? 

When I do this it defaults to my monitor instead of my VR set. Is there any way around this? 

z5-36.png?resize=690%2C542&ssl=1

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/7D01-D2DD-D75E-2955

Add "--force_enable_VR" (without quote) to the launch option. By default it use openxr. if you want to switch to steam vr then add another "--force_steam_VR" (without quote) and separate previous option with spacebar.

14 minutes ago, Insonia said:

Shouldn't DLSS normally increase performance? 

Normally yes. If you are GPU-bounded.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/cpu-and-gpu-boundedness/

Your lowest perf was determined by the slowest part of your system. 

What upscaling(DLSS,FSR,NIS) does is, by rendering less resolution/pixels, offload some of the rendering (GPU's work) to the upscaling algorithm which will need more CPU.

However If you are in a CPU-bounded or I/O-bounded situation, like multiplayer or heavy missions. Your system might be slowed by the CPU. And meanwhile, DCS has some of bad optimization in some of places too. No upscaling can fix those things, either.

So can I see these from the performance screen in the task manager? 

I don't think there is much of a generation difference between my processor and graphics card.

i9-12900k

RTX3080

32GB 5200Mhz Ram and M2 ssd pagefile space is 75gb

6 minutes ago, TheConqueror said:

So can I see these from the performance screen in the task manager? 

I don't think there is much of a generation difference between my processor and graphics card.

i9-12900k

RTX3080

32GB 5200Mhz Ram and M2 ssd pagefile space is 75gb

We still don't know what your "performance issue" looks like. It's not okay jump to any conclusions. It's not about generations it's about the workload. the tasks.  Some computing tasks just one-sided.

But since you mentioned. 12900k have 16 cores right? Intel 12 13 gen CPU more than 8 cores have a nasty #8 CPU bugs.

might check this out

1 hour ago, Insonia said:

You can click the "Always use this option". I personally oppose saving it because if it causing another issue in the future that you will not remember this setting. And the "Always use this option" only affects the Green "▶Play" button in steam.

I used to launch MT through the DCS.exe file in \bin-mt folder since I have it running in a batch file that runs other apps on launch.

Because of the steam problem you mentioned I can't do this anymore. Is there maybe a way around this?

5 minutes ago, Insonia said:

We still don't know what your "performance issue" looks like. It's not okay jump to any conclusions. It's not about generations it's about the workload. the tasks.  Some computing tasks just one-sided.

But since you mentioned. 12900k have 16 cores right? Intel 12 13 gen CPU more than 8 cores have a nasty #8 CPU bugs.

might check this out

I didn't know we were going to close this. But there were 22 or 23 parts in my processor, I think I know more than 20. I'm not at the computer right now. Should I still remove 8? I will try

The problem is that while you are getting 150 FPS, the fps drops to 20s or 40s for a very short time. This means instant freezing.

Before you try and disable any core, you need to ensure your issue is caused by a "crazy" core. In order to do this, run the Task Manager and DCS. When you spot a freeze, Alt+Tab back to the Task Manager and see if one your cores is stuck at 100%.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Before you try and disable any core, you need to ensure your issue is caused by a "crazy" core. In order to do this, run the Task Manager and DCS. When you spot a freeze, Alt+Tab back to the Task Manager and see if one your cores is stuck at 100%.

I'm checking now and some of them say cpu xx standby. I took an instant video. The map seems to be okay since there are no trees on the Syrian map and I will try it on the Caucasus map as well.
The video will be 1080P soon..

Desktop Screenshot 2023.10.21 - 21.33.19.48.png

Desktop Screenshot 2023.10.21 - 21.39.39.12.png

Edited by TheConqueror

Additionally, now on the Caucasus map, I actually canceled the uncontrolled 8th core directly and the result is great. Then I saw that the 10th core was at 100%, I canceled it and the result was perfect, 150+FPS.
Is it possible to set this permanently? 8. CPU should not work when DCS is running

Edited by TheConqueror

On 10/21/2023 at 2:52 AM, MrShooty said:

Update - after Flappie told me to get a full log (that step isn't intuitive so your instruction was good) I read it and saw my NVidia driver was not allowing DLSS. I checked that the driver was up to date in Windows 11 settings and it said it was the latest. Then I checked directly with Nvidia and found it was 2 years out of date! There's a lesson. So I updated it manually and now DLSS works. I get 35 FPs so it is still less than my single thread version but it is operable. I'll investigate more but for now I guess my query on DLSS is solved.

Many thanks

I found that my Nvidia driver needed to be updated. WIndows was telling me it was fine but a manual check proved otherwise. I can now use DLSS (but my FPS still sucks).

Actually, when I selected MT inside Steam then it worked.  I used to use an MT DCS icon on my desktop but it stopped working correctly and now have to open STEAM and hit play making sure MT is correctly loaded.  

AMD 7900x; Nvidia MSI 4090 Trio; MSI x670e MEG ACE; gSkill 64gb; Thrustmaster F16 Control; WinWIng F16 Throttle; Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals; Valve Index VR headset