FA18 Hornet Tacan INOP on MP Server OK in SP

Tomcat388th

Me and @Moonshine did some testing and found that:

• Airborne TACANs now seem limited to about 40nm (might be realistic)
  • Fixed TACANs are now very weak. We picked up the the DAN tacan (Syria, 21X) at abour 12-13nm and Kuboleti (Caucaus, 67X) at about 22-23nm. We flew high so LOS shouldn't have been a thing

TEST_TACAN_Caucasus_for_2.9-20231022-120815.trk

TEST_TACAN_Caucasus_for_2.9-20231022-120932.trk

• Like 2

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

A few testers have tried it. We cannot reproduce your issue. I'm currently watching @SOLIDKREATE's track and the TACAN works just fine.

image.png

At this point, We think that some mod that you use is conflicting with the TACAN signal.

If you want, you can check whether it's true or not: temporarily rename your "Saved Games/DCS..." folder to "DCS.bak", start DCS and try to reproduce the issue.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Heres my log   The only mods that I have are the A4 and C130

dcs.log

Edited by Tomcat388th

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

@Tomcat388th Thanks. I see these: F-4E, C-130 Hercules, Scratchpad, RPC.lua script, and the usual SRS and Tacview.

There's an issue with your RPC script:

2023-10-21 09:59:35.732 ERROR   LuaHooks (Main): [string ".\Scripts\RPC.lua"]:53: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)
2023-10-21 09:59:35.732 ERROR   LuaGUI (Main): [string "./Scripts/RPC.lua"]:53: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)

Once you're in a Hornet, I see no errors with the TACAN receiver logging:

2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver/transmitter "UHF1" with id - 0
2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: enabled VOIP capability for radio UHF1
2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver "ARC-210 Guard Receiver" with id - 1
2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: added guard receiver - ARC-210 Guard Receiver
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver/transmitter "UHF2" with id - 2
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: enabled VOIP capability for radio UHF2
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver "ARC-210 Guard Receiver" with id - 3
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: added guard receiver - ARC-210 Guard Receiver
2023-10-21 09:59:47.467 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver "Base TACAN receiver" with id - 4

I don't see any obvious issue. 😕

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

@Tomcat388th Thanks. I see these: F-4E, C-130 Hercules, Scratchpad, RPC.lua script, and the usual SRS and Tacview.

There's an issue with your RPC script:

2023-10-21 09:59:35.732 ERROR   LuaHooks (Main): [string ".\Scripts\RPC.lua"]:53: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)
2023-10-21 09:59:35.732 ERROR   LuaGUI (Main): [string "./Scripts/RPC.lua"]:53: bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)

Once you're in a Hornet, I see no errors with the TACAN receiver logging:

2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver/transmitter "UHF1" with id - 0
2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: enabled VOIP capability for radio UHF1
2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver "ARC-210 Guard Receiver" with id - 1
2023-10-21 09:59:45.308 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: added guard receiver - ARC-210 Guard Receiver
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver/transmitter "UHF2" with id - 2
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: enabled VOIP capability for radio UHF2
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver "ARC-210 Guard Receiver" with id - 3
2023-10-21 09:59:45.309 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: added guard receiver - ARC-210 Guard Receiver
2023-10-21 09:59:47.467 INFO    COCKPITBASE (Main): WebRTC VOIP init: registered radio receiver "Base TACAN receiver" with id - 4

I don't see any obvious issue. 😕

Here is another dcs log   I ran a slow repair with option to delete extra files and also renamed my save games folder so dcs could build a new one. No change still broke in MP  works fine SP

dcs.log

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

By the way, this is all I do when testing:

1. Start the aircraft
  2. Remove chocks
  3. Align to catapult
  4. Deploy wings
  5. Take off
  6. Gear up
  7. Choose TACAN frequency
  8. Enable TACAN
  9. Fly away

(not setting datalink or anything else)

Thanks for working on this for us, Flappie.   Sorry, just saw your reply from a couple hours ago.   FWIW will attach the latest log with the TACAN issue on the mission that I referenced above (and that worked fine for you).   Do see the same .rpc script error, but should just be TACVIEW and SRS left for mods.        I'll keep playing around with things this afternoon as well.

dcs.log

It is somehow related to the new integrated voice chat.     I did not have this enabled previously as I and my squad intended to stick with SRS for the time being.      Accordingly, up until just now, I have had the DCS "voice chat" option un-checked in game options.

After seeing Flappie's screenshot (with the DCS voice chat comm panel window open - had a hunch it may be related)   Just went in and activated voice chat and re-flew my test mission, and did not lose TACAN at 17 miles as before.    Only had time to very briefly test with the Hornet, but new log file attached seemingly without the TACAN issue.

Hoping others that have been seeing/not seeing the TACAN issue can adjust voice chat option accordingly to back me up and recreate/confirm this???.....

dcs.log

Edited by Codguy

17 ore fa, Foka ha scritto:

After the patch there is a problem with TACANs. Regardless on mission or map TACANs sometimes are connected as closed as 10 nm. Sometimes 20-30 nm.

Hallo, in SP tacan work well, in MP I have same problem.

I solved it by enabling "Voice chat" in settings->audio panel.

After this tacan work well also in MP, for me.

20 minutes ago, Codguy said:

After seeing Flappie's screenshot (with the DCS voice chat comm panel window open - had a hunch it may be related) 

I have a feeling it has something to do with the Voice Chat as well, which is why I left it in the screenshot.

I'll test with VC off right away!

Il 21/10/2023 at 10:08, SOLIDKREATE ha scritto:

TACAN:

Some squadmates and I were flying on our server and we could never pick up the TACAN until we got withing 15mi. The same holds true making a Mission Editor .msn file.

LINK 4:

When adding a TACAN CH, ICLS to te Super Carrier they populate fine on the kneeboard with a little bit of a delay. When adding a LINK 4 channel, it blows out the other two and you have to place a whole new ship down just to gte rid of the bug.

Hallo, I have same problem and I can reproduce your issue and resolving it in MP, in SP tacan work well for me.

Link 4 not tested yet

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, VFA41_Hedgehog said:

Multiplayer.  It's a multiplayer problem.  TACAN still works properly in SP.

Please feel welcome to visit either VFA-41 Training Range server (no password) to verify.

yeah i did in MP server, we still investigate.

any mod do you install?

cropped-GVAW_RC2.png

DCS INDONESIA COMMUNITY
Garuda virtual Air Wing
Official Website | Discord | Facebook | Instagram

I really start to believe that DCS is some kind of magic.
To turn on TACAN run the game on odd hour and spit over your left shoulder. To lower gear have even number of lightbulbs in the room and no more than two cats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Hallo, I have same problem and I can reproduce your issue and resolving it in MP, in SP tacan work well for me.

Link 4 not tested yet

@Jeremy -- thank you, just tested and this fixed it consistently for me

@Flappie -- this seems to be the TCN "fix" (or issue depending on your point of view 🙂).  Will check with squad members, but it consistently caused/fixed the issue for me this morning.

Well, FWIW, tested on one of our squad servers (rather than that simple test mission on my own server) and still get the TACAN bug even with Voice Chat enabled client side, so not the entire issue it seems.   Will try to isolate further.

53 minutes ago, Codguy said:

Well, FWIW, tested on one of our squad servers (rather than that simple test mission on my own server) and still get the TACAN bug even with Voice Chat enabled client side, so not the entire issue it seems.   Will try to isolate further.

Is Voice Chat enabled server-side? If it's not, the bug will show up.

Thanks Flappie- Was just checking that with one of the squad servers, and it indeed was not (I should have caught that sooner).   That explains the difference between the two servers I checked the missions on a little bit ago.   Now that VC is enabled on BOTH client and server, the original squadron training map mission works now too, in addition to that test mission I was using, on both my server and the squadron server.        We will still probably be using SRS (since VC doesn't yet appear to support MIDS, and a number of our missions use DCS-TTS), but so far having integrated VC activated doesn't appear to affect the ability to use SRS - far as I've been able to tell at least.

VC has been present for a long time in DCS, and both SRS and VC have always worked without any conflict, yes.

2.9 simply introduced a much more integrated VC version (which must be the reason for the TACAN bug we're having).