DLSS Sharpness Slider Settings

dresoccer4

For folks with a 2k/4k monitor and using DLSS, what are you setting your sharpness slider to? IMO setting it to around ~0.2 creates an amazingly detailed picture without jaggy lines around borders of object yet still pretty crisp and clear to a far distance (plus an extra 20fps). If i set it to the ED recommended 0.5 it starts to looks like the old image with bad AA and jagged edges. 

What are you all setting your sharpness slider to and do you think higher is worse or better? curious about feedback. cheers

Edited by dresoccer4
  • Thanks 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 4 months later...

I only use DLSS (quality) sometimes for testing, in those instances I put it to 0.5 which gives a great picture (in relation to the fps gains).

But my system is capable of good fps without upscaling, so usually I go native (still using sharpness enhancement, either by the slider set to .2 or by using reshade).

I find the native picture a bit mushy - even on 4K. Matter of taste.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

34 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I only use DLSS (quality) sometimes for testing, in those instances I put it to 0.5 which gives a great picture (in relation to the fps gains).

But my system is capable of good fps without upscaling, so usually I go native (still using sharpness enhancement, either by the slider set to .2 or by using reshade).

I find the native picture a bit mushy - even on 4K. Matter of taste.

i just got a new rig so am attempting to play without DLSS (using DLAA) and it seems OK. i wasn't sure if sharpening still had an effect this way. but you think it does?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

i just got a new rig so am attempting to play without DLSS (using DLAA) and it seems OK. i wasn't sure if sharpening still had an effect this way. but you think it does?

Yes, why not? Sharpening is a simple post-processing step. You can apply it via reshade or even the gpu-driver, and for convenience even directly in DCS now.

If I‘m not mistaken, from the top of my head, it is one of the gfx settings (like grass for example) that can be adjusted in realtime whilst in cockpit. So simply try it for yourself. 

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• ED Team
On 2/27/2024 at 1:00 PM, dresoccer4 said:

I think when you are fine-tuning it really becomes a personal thing, what might work for you might not work for someone else. Personally, I use DLSS Quality full sharpening or MSAA. Also, it may help if you post a screenshot of your entire settings screen and let us know if its a specific part of the screen you are having an issue such as the cockpit or something else. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 3/5/2024 at 5:22 PM, jacobs said:

I'm on a 4K monitor and my sharpening stays at 0.3... 

good to know, thanks

Make sure you're using the latest DLSS dll's from NVIDIA, makes a WORLD of difference. My first attempt with DLSS (with an RTX4090) was miserable and I was wondering what all the hype was about, and having buyers remorse on that card. I happened across some other forums that suggested using the latest DLSS from NVIDIA directly, and it is night and day! 

There are lots of download sites out there, but I chose to get mine straight from NVIDIA. 

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/dlss/get-started

53 minutes ago, NDragon said:

Make sure you're using the latest DLSS dll's from NVIDIA, makes a WORLD of difference. My first attempt with DLSS (with an RTX4090) was miserable and I was wondering what all the hype was about, and having buyers remorse on that card. I happened across some other forums that suggested using the latest DLSS from NVIDIA directly, and it is night and day! 

There are lots of download sites out there, but I chose to get mine straight from NVIDIA. 

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/dlss/get-started

I have a 4090 as well and DCS is running at about 120fps with max settings on 1440p ultrawide, however I have DLSS completely disabled (except for DLAA) as it's not needed. what are your settings and FPS?

On 3/3/2024 at 7:09 AM, NineLine said:

I think when you are fine-tuning it really becomes a personal thing, what might work for you might not work for someone else. Personally, I use DLSS Quality full sharpening or MSAA. Also, it may help if you post a screenshot of your entire settings screen and let us know if its a specific part of the screen you are having an issue such as the cockpit or something else. 

I trired DLSS with DLAA and there was so much ghosting behind moving object, I could say also the moving objects have jagged edges at the back, that I just couldn't stand watching (on monitor, didn't try yet in VR, but I suppose it would be the same outcome). Shaprness is set to 0.5 as default. So after half an hour, I was back to MSAA.

14 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

I trired DLSS with DLAA and there was so much ghosting behind moving object, I could say also the moving objects have jagged edges at the back, that I just couldn't stand watching (on monitor, didn't try yet in VR, but I suppose it would be the same outcome). Shaprness is set to 0.5 as default. So after half an hour, I was back to MSAA.

ignoring the ghosting, do you find DLSS or MSAA to look better, especially the outline of objects.?

15 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

ignoring the ghosting, do you find DLSS or MSAA to look better, especially the outline of objects.?

Yes, I could say so. But that ghosting this is way too obvious to use DLSS. I will when is it gonna be fixed.

1 hour ago, skywalker22 said:

Yes, I could say so. But that ghosting this is way too obvious to use DLSS. I will when is it gonna be fixed.

Out of curiousity, did you try DLAA alone (without DLSS)?  It might be a reasonable tradeoff for you.  Not sure the ghosting with DLSS will ever be "fixed" as that's apparently a side effect of how it works.

• Like 1