unfortunately not for beginners

Quasi
Go to solution Solved by Quasi,

2 hours ago, ChillNG said:

Thanks, I really appreciate that.  Definitely worth learning the Viper, it's a lot of fun, and Weaseling in it is a blast!  I don't feel it's disrespectful to ask for changes like this, if there's ways of making alterations to the experience and that's what you want to do then that's fair enough, so long as you understand you might not be getting the exact experience that was intended.  It's a shame the force override option doesn't actually do that, as it would be ideal...like I said above, allowing people to opt in to the changes.

Thanks, and I agree asking for changes is reasonable, I just feel that some may think sharing of a workaround is disrespectful as they feel it undermines their way of doing things (I've been pulled up on that by someone in the past for sharing this info).

There should be an easier way to do this but only in the context of Single Player, for which the user should have final say on what settings they want, even spoiling the vision/design of a mission/campaign or not. But there needs to be this stricter control for missions made for Online/Multiplayer where such settings could be considered exploits/cheats. So it needs to be updated by ED to work in the right way.

May I suggest to other reading this....to those people who are very 'motivated' to have control back get together and get this raised formally as a defect in the core game mechanic....or the feature to have it working for single player missions/campaigns added to the wishlist. In the end it really is an ED issue not a mission builder /campaign creator issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Trigati said:

May I suggest to other reading this....to those people who are very 'motivated' to have control back get together and get this raised formally as a defect in the core game mechanic....

Tried. Like so many things here it went nowhere.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

On 10/26/2023 at 5:20 PM, ChillNG said:

There are mission design reasons I enforce neutral dots,

Thanks for the warning, I won't be purchasing. Even though I own and enjoy working through 73 official campaigns including those that are included with modules, I am not interested in campaigns that limit my ability to play the way I like to play. In fact I'm actually annoyed by it. Let players decide within the parameters of the game framework how they want to play the game.

Edited by Mathius_001

i9-9900KS, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080Ti, 55" QLED, HP Reverb

14 minutes ago, Mathius_001 said:

Thanks for the warning, I won't be purchasing. Even though I own and enjoy working through 73 official campaigns including those that are included with modules, I am not interested in campaigns that limit my ability to play the way I like to play. In fact I'm actually annoyed by it. Let players decide within the parameters of the game framework how they want to play the game.

Fair enough, appreciate your position.  Missions have been altered to allow colored dots so should be on the next update, following the feedback above that the force override isn't working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not understand wanting to just point mavericks at red dots and pickle. Completely defeats the purpose of the campaign IMO. Seems like watching a scary movie in the middle of the day with the sound off. But it doesn't really hurt me at all for those options to be available for the people who want them. For the ones that won't mechanically break the campaign it probably makes sense to let people pick.

• Thanks 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb DCS_moldy:

I do not understand wanting to just point mavericks at red dots and pickle. Completely defeats the purpose of the campaign IMO. Seems like watching a scary movie in the middle of the day with the sound off. But it doesn't really hurt me at all for those options to be available for the people who want them. For the ones that won't mechanically break the campaign it probably makes sense to let people pick.

Are you playing in pancake, or in VR?

Because for me, in VR,  with the Vive Pro, details on the ground are almost impossible to make out, unless I'm very close to the object (maybe with a Varjo Aero you can, IDK). While the upsides of VR far outweigh the downsides IMO, one of those downsides unfortunately is significantly degraded visuals, compared to DCS's 2D details and visuals.

I've made it to mission 7 while getting generally very good scores in each mission (100 on mission 6, for example), so in this campaign it is quite manageable by using the neutral dots (by employing the Viper's sensors effectively, and particularly because ChillNG made very good, thought out missions and provided excellent voice over comms!!), but you can hardly make out anything visually - very little contrast between object and background, at least not on my headset - so red dots do help a lot, again, in VR.

Edited by Jayhawk1971

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

Are you playing in pancake, or in VR?

Because for me, in VR,  with the Vive Pro, details on the ground are almost impossible to make out, unless I'm very close to the object (maybe with a Varjo Aero you can, IDK). While the upsides of VR far outweigh the downsides IMO, one of those downsides unfortunately is significantly degraded visuals, compared to DCS's 2D details and visuals.

I've made it to mission 7 while getting generally very good scores in each mission (100 on mission 6, for example), so in this campaign it is quite manageable by using the neutral dots, but you can hardly make out anything visually - very little contrast between object and background, at least not on my headset - so red dots do help a lot, again, in VR.

I'm playing in VR, on a Reverb G2 which admittedly has better clarity than a lot of headsets. But for most targets I don't search for them out of the canopy, I use the TGP or HTS. I couldn't even remotely distinguish between target types just by looking out the cockpit. Sometimes I can see concentrations or spots where AAA is coming up, and I'll use the JHMCS to cue the pod over to it to check it out.

If dots work for you and you are enjoying the campaign then don't let me ruin it for you. My comment was worded a bit rude but I do think people should be able to play in a way that works for them.

• Like 1