'No force from mission' doesn't work

wowbagger

The "No force from mission, use mine" in the game play options doesn't seem to have any effect on campaigns.

Gameplay options.jpg

Expected: when this is checked the game will use my settings.

What happens: mission enforced options are in effect.

___

Why it's important:

Campaign creators are increasingly enforcing their game play preferences on campaign buyers. They dictate which kind of labels can be used, whether you can have external views, whether you can see your own forces on the map, etc.  If they simply didn't enforce it then people who like to play that way can, and those who like to play differently can also enjoy the game they bought. But they do. This option, if working, would solve this issue.

I used to buy as many campaigns as possible to support the creators, and have bought several modules based on the campaigns that were available for them. I have now stopped buying campaigns since I find this restrictive approach not to my liking and there is no way to know what the creators are enforcing prior to purchase. As a result ED is losing revenue, the creators are losing income, and I am losing a big part of the game I enjoy - all , in my opinion, needlessly. But since the creators insist on enforcing these restrictions despite many of us asking them to not do so, it would be great if this option actually did what it says on the tin.

Cheers

• Like 2

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @wowbagger. It's been a long time! I'm not able to reproduce your issue. I'd like to check whether your issue has something in common with the Hind's cockpit language (most probably), but also absent mirrors and absent moving map. Do you own the Hind? If so, please try running the Startup training mission and check if you have these 3 issues.

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I think, and only trying to be helpful here, that the settings override option only overrides the mission makers settings if they have not selected ‘enforce’. For every setting they can 1. Not set it, so it’s as per client settings or 2. Set a value, which gets used unless client has selected to override or 3. Enforce their settings.

So I think this is a mix of the client settings screen not being clear it wont/can’t override an enforced mission setting, normal users not knowing mission makers can enforce their settings and I would guess some mission makers (maybe) not fully aware of the impacts this can have…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi @wowbagger. It's been a long time! I'm not able to reproduce your issue. I'd like to check whether your issue has something in common with the Hind's cockpit language (most probably), but also absent mirrors and absent moving map. Do you own the Hind? If so, please try running the Startup training mission and check if you have these 3 issues.

21 hours ago, Trigati said:

I think, and only trying to be helpful here, that the settings override option only overrides the mission makers settings if they have not selected ‘enforce’. For every setting they can 1. Not set it, so it’s as per client settings or 2. Set a value, which gets used unless client has selected to override or 3. Enforce their settings.

So I think this is a mix of the client settings screen not being clear it wont/can’t override an enforced mission setting, normal users not knowing mission makers can enforce their settings and I would guess some mission makers (maybe) not fully aware of the impacts this can have…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Flap, Joyeuses Pâques!

I checked, and I don't have the issues in the Mi-24 training mission with language, map, or mirrors. No idea what might be causing that one.

I think @Trigatiis correct. The options setting simply doesn't do what it says it does. If campaign makers can override our settings, it seems a bit pointless to have this option at all. In my opinion it should work the opposite of the way it seems to. Campaign creators can set the mission options, but the user/buyer should be able to override these if they require. That way everyone gets to use the game in the way they need to. I hope this can be re-evaluated at some point soon. Until then, I'll stop buying campaigns from those who insist on imposing their preferences on the end user.

In any event, thanks for yours and @Trigati's  reply. Hope you are both doing well and enjoying a lovely spring.

Salut - cheers,

'bagger

@wowbagger Although I agree things like labels or externals should not be locked, some mission scripts  rely on certain combination of difficulty settings to work correctly. Reflected did a YT video on this subject a while ago, you might want to check it. What's the use of enforcing your own settings if one of them might even break the campaign and make it impossible to complete? I'm just pointing out there is no single simple solution to this problem.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yes, I've seen his video. All these arguments make sense from the creator's point of view but not the user's. I have my game set up the way I like it. Why should I be forced to play it they way some one else has decided it needs to be?

I cannot understand how things like external views, map icons, and labels can break a campaign. They don't change anything except how much information the player has access to. There are already so many things wrong with the AI, bugs, UI, triggers... these player option settings can't possibly considered to be mission breakers. It's an argument that rings hollow to me.

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 2

i would like to propose a different angle to this conversation. i believe somewhere along the development phase of DCS, quite likely in the beginning, someone made a decision with little forethought to make these settings part of the missions and not overridable. i agree that making these settings on the user end should be allowed regardless of what the mission creator wants. labels for example. what if a user has some sort of vision disability wants labels so the various objects can be seen? but in DCS case, the missions can be locked so not able to be edited. the creator makes it no labels. thus no labels. think of it if windows did not allow options like, desktop background, icon sizing, themes, etc.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

9 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

someone made a decision with little forethought to make these settings part of the missions and not overridable

We need to differentiate between single player and multi-player. A lot of the force options make sense in multiplayer i.e. no labels, no seeing enemy planes locations, etc.

In SP, let the player decide. In MP, obey the mission settings

Edited by AdrianL
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

We need to differentiate between single player and multi-player. A lot of the force options make sense in multiplayer i.e. no labels, no seeing enemy planes locations, etc.

In SP, let the player decide. In MP, obey the mission settings

Yeah, fully agree that this should be the way it operates.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 1 month later...

I too have not found this option to work as expected.

Sometimes I enable 'unlimited fuel' but a campaign mission has that option disabled, and this setting has no effect in overriding the campaign choice.

I have not tested widely other than observed this.