No High Gain on F-18c

Mouse_99
Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

I have had the F-18c since it came out and I've always had NWS showing up in the HUD. Now, I get no nose wheel steering until I hit a button (my normal high Gain button, and I have no High Gain. This happened on single player in a favorite training mission and it stopped working normally, I thought at first the mission file was corrupted but I created a test mission and it did the same.

I have the X-56 throttle and a Winwing F-16ex stick and the 2.9 update. I use the 6 button on the stick to normally access the High Gain feature, but now, it simply removes the High Gain off the HUD and I have no High Gain after. Is this a new feature or a bug?

Yeah, I get that, it has been working for years, and now it doesn't, that's why I asked the question of there has been any changes or if it were a new bug with the last update.

Normally the NWS appears in the HUD, but now it's not.    When I press my normal High Gain button the NWS comes on only while I hold the button.  There is no way to get the High gain at all.

Since I posted this, I deleted my controls config and re-did the bindings, but I got the same results.

1 minute ago, Mouse_99 said:

Yeah, I get that, it has been working for years, and now it doesn't, that's why I asked the question of there has been any changes or if it were a new bug with the last update.

Normally the NWS appears in the HUD, but now it's not.    When I press my normal High Gain button the NWS comes on only while I hold the button.  There is no way to get the High gain at all.

Since I posted this, I deleted my controls config and re-did the bindings, but I got the same results.

Do you have the launch bar down?

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• ED Team
  • Solution

For NWS to stay in HI without holding the button, the wings must be folded.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

For NWS to stay in HI without holding the button, the wings must be folded.

thanks

Actually, all you need is that wing fold is UNLOCKED.  You can have them unfolded.  Once you LOCK them you lose NWS HI latch ability.

4 hours ago, Mouse_99 said:

This definitely sound like a hardware or binding issue.  Works fine for me in game (even after hotfix).  Check that your paddle switch isn't firing (which turns off NWS).

So far, I deleted my bindings and redid them with no success, I then uninstalled the F-18c and then re-installed still with no success.

I loaded an instant action - Ready on the ramp. When the mission loads in, for a brief instant I see the NWS it then goes out. I disconnected the joystick and used the keyboard and I get the same action - the NWS indicator is gone and when I press the S key it comes on as long as I hold the key. I have no way to turn on the High Gain.  In the video I hold down the s key twice to show you what's happening. This is while the wings are down and locked. As I have mentioned, I have been using these key bindings for years, and in the middle of flying a mission, it suddenly doesn't work anymore. The binds show up in the controls and lighting up when pressed. I unplugged the joystick and used the keyboard with the same results.

Edited by Mouse_99
furhter explanation

For what (little) it's worth I just did a couple CV launches to test a different problem and gain worked as expected every time. 

So, went to a drive through to test and got mostly expected results:

Wings locked: Normal gain, hold NWS for high gain.  Release NWS return to normal gain

Wings unlocked: Normal gain until NWS is pressed, then locked in to high gain, and in fact you can't get OUT of high gain once you lock it in.  That might be different, but I'm not sure

Wings folded: See 'wings unlocked'

From here it seems like you have control issues somewhere?  That's where I'd start, at least.  Maybe try a different KB?

2023.10.27 NWS Gain Test.trk

5 hours ago, Mouse_99 said:

Yes, I deleted my bindings and re-did them but din;t work. i also removed my mods folder to insure there weren't any shenanigans going on there.

Sorry to repeat, but deleting your binding *could* be different to renaming your saved games folder (or at least the F-18 controls folder in it).  If you haven't renamed saved games you might still be using a corrupted file even if you "deleted" the bindings or reinstalled the F-18.  My apologies if you've done this, but I've seen too many times when people assumed/took things at face value and wasted days troubleshooting and it turned out it was something mentioned off the top but misunderstood so I like to be sure.

The fact that you're not getting NWS off the start really leads me to believe a binding/hardware issue because I can't reproduce this.

5 hours ago, Raisuli said:

Wings unlocked: Normal gain until NWS is pressed, then locked in to high gain, and in fact you can't get OUT of high gain once you lock it in.  That might be different, but I'm not sure

I believe this is expected behaviour (I could be wrong).  Paddle switch will turn NWS and then you can turn it on (minus high gain until you press it a 2nd time) with NWS button.

Edited by rob10

Also, just in case:

The paddle switch on the stick disconnects the NWS.  You might double check to make sure that paddle switch isn't being triggered continuously somehow (maybe assigned to a toggle switch, or similar).

Edited by NoJoe

23 hours ago, Mouse_99 said:

So far, I deleted my bindings and redid them with no success, I then uninstalled the F-18c and then re-installed still with no success.

I loaded an instant action - Ready on the ramp. When the mission loads in, for a brief instant I see the NWS it then goes out. I disconnected the joystick and used the keyboard and I get the same action - the NWS indicator is gone and when I press the S key it comes on as long as I hold the key. I have no way to turn on the High Gain.  In the video I hold down the s key twice to show you what's happening. This is while the wings are down and locked. As I have mentioned, I have been using these key bindings for years, and in the middle of flying a mission, it suddenly doesn't work anymore. The binds show up in the controls and lighting up when pressed. I unplugged the joystick and used the keyboard with the same results.

In this video I can see that your launch bar is down.

With the launch bar down, holding the NWS button will give you low gain NWS and releasing it will provide no NWS at all.

Move the launch bar switch to the uppermost position and things will return to normal.

• Like 3

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Good catch Switft!  You can clearly see the L Bar light.  Check your hardware and if you have "Sync HOTAS on launch" (or something like that in options) checked and you have your physical switch down it will automatically activate it.  Or this could be your binding issue.

• Like 1

Good job gentlemen! You nailed it, it was my switch I use to lower the launch bar, I must have inadvertently bumped it and put it in the down position.

Thank you for the help! I knew it was something basic, because it would show up and immediately go out, so I knew there was something triggering that, but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me!