Will the Hook ever be functionally implemented ?

Shrike88

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

But getting to do that in 4th gen jets is exceedingly rare.

Count some flight hours in jets and you'll get it too.

46 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I am not sure the if we could realistically model meantime between failures but we can currently script them.

The random failures are modeled as probability model atm so basically the same.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, upyr1 said:

In the real world things fail. When we get a dynamic campaign I would hope to have failures as an option. I am not sure the if we could realistically model meantime between failures but we can currently script them.

Of course. DCS has a random failures setting you can enable now. If they're done realistically they’d be extremely rare though. At the rate most people play games they’d likely never experience one. I had a bird strike and engine failure on takeoff in the A-10C. It was awesome! I got to pull the fire extinguisher and abort the takeoff. But that’s once in 12 years of playing the game. 

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Again, exceedingly rare. Cool. But rare. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

19 hours ago, draconus said:

The random failures are modeled as probability model atm so basically the same.

Right now Random failure are random. I know that Ward Carol mentioned briefly how common some system failures were. 

17 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Of course. DCS has a random failures setting you can enable now. If they're done realistically they’d be extremely rare though. At the rate most people play games they’d likely never experience one. I had a bird strike and engine failure on takeoff in the A-10C. It was awesome! I got to pull the fire extinguisher and abort the takeoff. But that’s once in 12 years of playing the game. 

19 hours ago, draconus said:

You can also trigger them as well. Even if failure are exceedingly rare you can also the system could  portable and put on a road for short runway use. There is a lot of potential cool ideas.

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

Right now Random failure are random. I know that Ward Carol mentioned briefly how common some system failures were.

As far as I can tell, the A-10C is only 4th gen module with an Emergency Procedure section in its manual. So you’d need that (or the systems modeling?) completed for the DCS aircraft before worrying about doing tailhook emergency landings. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

As far as I can tell, the A-10C is only 4th gen module with an Emergency Procedure section in its manual. So you’d need that (or the systems modeling?) completed for the DCS aircraft before worrying about doing tailhook emergency landings. 

Tailhook emergency landing need first implement on the core with propper funtionality... meanwhile, has nothing to do, and actualy has none a priority by ED.

On 3/26/2024 at 3:16 AM, Tank50us said:

Actually, you have several Viper and Hornet users that could make use of such a system as per their defense strategy. Sweden, Finland, Norway all share the same basic plan for a Soviet/Russian invasion in that the fighter squadrons scatter. In those scenarios you'd need either an aircraft with a hook in order to land on those short A runways, or an aircraft that can throw the thrust into reverse (like the Viggin). So part of the turn-around for the aircraft in those scenarios is to have the ground crew reset the hook while the pilot goes and takes five minutes to get a snack.

RAG was never intended for non emergency landings.  For off field landings on roads etc. it was also deemed impractical as this increased the equipment needed and the footprint.  I worked on Jaguar GR1's and Tornado's during the cold war and was involved in various trials involving off field distributed operations, none of the off field sites were equipped with arrester gear, this also goes for any other aircraft I was aware of.   It would be great to have this feature for runways, especially given the advances that are coming with system modelling on the F4 and similar aircraft. Hydraulic failures were one of the major causes for mishaps when I was an engineer, these type of failures invariably involved the use of the RAG system and were fairly common.

Edited by Yeti42
  • Like 1

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Doesn't the wire also get trotted out for slippery runway conditions? In Kola it might be a significant concern (if we ever get runway icing, that is).
Norwegian Vipers have chutes. Viggen can reverse. Not sure what the Finns do. Not sure even if any field have wires. Not that l have been to too many.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Norwegian Vipers have chutes. emoji6.png Viggen can reverse. Not sure what the Finns do. Not sure even if any field have wires.

Screenshot_2024-03-28-19-48-47-30_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

18 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Norwegian Vipers have chutes. emoji6.png Viggen can reverse. Not sure what the Finns do. Not sure even if any field have wires. Not that l have been to too many. emoji2373.png

Several of the large fighter bases in the area have arrestor gear. Bodø and Evenes in Norway, Vidsel in Sweden, and Rovaniemi in Finland.

• Like 3

Several of the large fighter bases in the area have arrestor gear. Bodø and Evenes in Norway, Vidsel in Sweden, and Rovaniemi in Finland.
Well, that seals the deal! We need them!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 3:35 PM, SharpeXB said:

Your complete unfamiliarity with DCS does not constitute a coherent argument against a feature that a a large number of aircraft could make use of.

What you incorrectly conceive of as a blocked already exists in the game and has done so foe many many years.

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧